Symptoms of Bad Motor Mounts?

Old July 22nd 05, 10:00 PM
Box134

Default Symptoms of Bad Motor Mounts?

Last time I was at Saturn they said one of the motor mounts was just within
spec and would need attention eventually. I left it for another day. But I
was wondering, what do you see, feel, or hear when motor mount replacement
is necessary?

I have noticed recently while idling in neutral that the motor was running
rough. When I paid close attention I realized the motor was running fine,
but engine vibration seemed increased. Is this what happens, more shaking is
transferred into the frame when the mounts fail? Seems to make sense to me,
but what do I know!

Old July 23rd 05, 12:20 AM
Ratbert

Box134 wrote:
> Last time I was at Saturn they said one of the motor mounts was just within
> spec and would need attention eventually. I left it for another day. But I
> was wondering, what do you see, feel, or hear when motor mount replacement
> is necessary?
>
> I have noticed recently while idling in neutral that the motor was running
> rough. When I paid close attention I realized the motor was running fine,
> but engine vibration seemed increased. Is this what happens, more shaking is
> transferred into the frame when the mounts fail? Seems to make sense to me,
> but what do I know!

Yep, that's it. It will seem very smooth once you replace the mount.
Old July 23rd 05, 02:00 AM
B. Peg

Mine got bad enough that when I made right-hand turns it made a clicking
noise. Thought the CV joints were going and were changed to no avail, but it
ended up being the upper mount.

B~

Old July 23rd 05, 02:16 AM
Art

On a different brand car I thought the motor mounts were going but the
dealer said it was the rear auto transmission mount. He turned out to be
right.

Old July 24th 05, 06:23 AM
Box134

Thanks to all who replied, blah2, Rathbert, Peg, and Art. Careless of me, it
is a 96SL2.

I think the mount is about a $100 item. Guess I'll have it done soon.

Old July 24th 05, 11:37 AM
Bob Shuman

The Torque Axis Mount was about $65 or so as I recall for the part at the
dealer ... it took about 15 minutes to install if you have a jack and some
tools. I have no idea what the dealer or a garage would charge, but suspect
it would be more than $100 total.

There are other lower motor mounts, but they rarely go bad. If it is one of
them, then the cost will be much higher.

Bob

Old July 24th 05, 11:28 PM
Jonnie Santos

Bob Shuman wrote:
> The Torque Axis Mount was about $65 or so as I recall for the part at the
> dealer ... it took about 15 minutes to install if you have a jack and some
> tools. I have no idea what the dealer or a garage would charge, but suspect
> it would be more than $100 total.
>
> There are other lower motor mounts, but they rarely go bad. If it is one of
> them, then the cost will be much higher.
>
> Bob
>

> "Box134" > wrote in message
>
>>Thanks to all who replied, blah2, Rathbert, Peg, and Art. Careless of me,

> it
>
>>is a 96SL2.
>>
>>I think the mount is about a $100 item. Guess I'll have it done soon.

I went through 2 or 3 (can't remember) and the bill was closer to $200
at the dealer. The first replacement on my 97 required a stud kit
(Saturn bounced back and forth on the kit - yours may not require one).
I also had the dogbone mounts replaced with stiffer aftermarkets which
translated lots more engine vibration but but less stress on the TAM.
Old July 26th 05, 04:19 AM
Kevin M. Keller

Jonnie Santos > typed until their
fingers bled, and came up with:

> Bob Shuman wrote:
>> The Torque Axis Mount was about $65 or so as I recall for the part at
>> the dealer ...

$35 at Advance Auto.

--
Visit the Saturn Performance Club - http://www.saturnperformanceclub.com
Old July 26th 05, 08:16 PM

> There are other lower motor mounts, but they
> rarely go bad. If it is one of them, then the cost
> will be much higher.

While I agree that the lower mounts last a lot longer than the upper
mounts, I disagree because I've found they don't cost a lot. I
replaced the lower dogbone mount and it was only $30 from the dealer,
way less than the upper mount.

Tim.

need help, symptoms of a 5 spd transmission ... need synchronizers? [email protected] Jeep 3 March 29th 05 07:26 PM
Heater Core Symptoms Mindy Jeep 6 December 30th 04 07:11 AM
91 Civic intermittent problems -Symptoms update Sean Honda 9 December 18th 04 04:38 AM
bad MAF symptoms Black Bomb Corvette 6 October 15th 04 01:42 PM