AX-5 assembly diagram help ?

Old July 23rd 05, 09:14 AM

Default AX-5 assembly diagram help ?

A while back I posted about my desire to strip down my AX-5 from a '93
YJ.
Bill.. it's done and down to the cluster(s), finally.

In memorandum... my symtoms were referred as a blocked shift in 2-3
which most write off to the syncronizers. What I did find so far was a
split main input shaft bearing cluster. I am no machinist, but the
gears all look fine. Nevertheless, I do intend trip to a machine shop
up the street because I'm an electrical engineer. I don't have the guts
to disect the thing that hates me most in life (gears).

While I am confident that after a pass on the internals I can
reassemble it from memory, an assembly diagram besides the generic
parts ones you see on line would be useful. Is there any available help
here?

Yes, a description of what a syncronizer fault looks like would be
useful, too. A hair line crack virtually invisible to the human eye
might explain things. However, a vibrating main shaft is not going to
make friends when it comes to gear changes. It's possible another
symptom, a loud wearling sound in 5th was due to the resonance formed
on the main shaft(?). Low gear... low enough frequencies...?

Despite those that may claim I am clinically insane and are probably
right, I figure I will knock of a days shop labour with this tranny
assembly dissembly feat. I only did so with the grace of God and a
father (being a plumber) who showed me that there is more to life than
getting things apart than with a maul.

Thanks for any future responses.

Fabe

Fabian Hartery