Follow up...Oil changes, Toyotas, and GM problems

Old November 2nd 05, 05:39 PM

Default Follow up...Passat

"Keith Jewell" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> 3,000 mile changes with modern oils are an absolute waste. You are
> throwing away money and oil. Even the 'severe service' schedule on my
> VW is 5000 miles, and many people on other forums who have done oil
> analysis on their 10k oil changes have found that the numbers are still
> great. There are folks on the TDIclub who do 20k changes and have 300k
> on their engines.
>
> However, the sealed transmission is silly. It really is like a 100k oil
> change.
>
> -Keith

I dont consider it a waste, nor does it cost me much money. I do it myself.

I dont put much faith in the validity of oil analyses either. I can change
the
oil for what a competent analysis would cost.

Old November 2nd 05, 07:55 PM
Comboverfish

No, it gets much better mileage than your 88 S10.

Toyota MDT in MO

Old November 4th 05, 06:25 PM

"80 Knight" > wrote in message
> My Bonnie weighs 3500 pounds, puts out 205 horses, 230 torque and get's
> 30mpg as well. Can not get a better engine then the 3800 II, IMHO.

Yes, they are basically nice engines. Have you had to have the plenum
replaced yet?
That is the only complaint I have with them.

Old November 4th 05, 08:11 PM
80 Knight

> wrote in message
m...

> "80 Knight" > wrote in message
>> My Bonnie weighs 3500 pounds, puts out 205 horses, 230 torque and get's
>> 30mpg as well. Can not get a better engine then the 3800 II, IMHO.

> Yes, they are basically nice engines. Have you had to have the plenum
> replaced yet?
> That is the only complaint I have with them.

I bought the car with 265,000 KM's on it and am up too 275,000 (in 3 months)
so if it ever did need to be replaced, I would assume it was done long ago.

Old November 5th 05, 02:50 PM
doug

> wrote in message
et...

> "Keith Jewell" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> 3,000 mile changes with modern oils are an absolute waste. You are
>> throwing away money and oil. Even the 'severe service' schedule on my
>> VW is 5000 miles, and many people on other forums who have done oil
>> analysis on their 10k oil changes have found that the numbers are still
>> great. There are folks on the TDIclub who do 20k changes and have 300k
>> on their engines.
>>
>> However, the sealed transmission is silly. It really is like a 100k oil
>> change.
>>
>> -Keith

> I dont consider it a waste, nor does it cost me much money. I do it
> myself.
>
> I dont put much faith in the validity of oil analyses either. I can
> change
> the
> oil for what a competent analysis would cost.

I agree - especially if you do it yourself. The cost is small for an oil
change and a good filter, usually $12 or so. The idea of trying to save $25
a year so that you can have "bragging rights" about the longest oil change
interval is laughable. I suggest that some of those people review the OP to
see what happened to some of the Toyota owners who opted for the "extended
service plan". LOL

Old November 5th 05, 11:04 PM
GRL

There's the rub. VW's have not, of late, been reliable.
. ..

The dangers of DRLs 223rem Driving 399 July 25th 05 11:28 PM
VW's are not as reliable as Honda's and Toyota's Rufus McPiddlegump VW water cooled 5 January 6th 05 02:26 PM