Bye-bye Pontiac??

Old April 24th 09, 08:47 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer - ECHM[_2_]

Default Bye-bye Pontiac??

Ref: http://tinyurl.com/cc3dya

According to the article, GM is set to announce Monday that it is
killing off the Pontiac brand...

--
"My dash lights burned out years ago. Just
keep a cheapie flashlight on the seat."
Old April 25th 09, 07:29 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Dave[_57_]

"necromancer - ECHM" > wrote in
message ...

> Ref: http://tinyurl.com/cc3dya
>
> According to the article, GM is set to announce Monday that it is
> killing off the Pontiac brand...

They announced a long time ago that Pontiac was going to be a niche market,
like they were going to experiment with new designs under the Pontiac brand,
it wasn't going to be a full line anymore. At that point, Pontiac as you
and I know it was DEAD.

Now if they are announcing that Pontiac won't be used at all as a brand,
that's just a HALF step further than they've already gone in the direction
of

Pontiac is dead.

Note it's only a HALF step. Pontiac being history is old news. -Dave

Old April 25th 09, 12:16 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Dave wrote:
> "necromancer - ECHM" > wrote in
> message ...
>> Ref: http://tinyurl.com/cc3dya
>>
>> According to the article, GM is set to announce Monday that it is
>> killing off the Pontiac brand...
>>

> They announced a long time ago that Pontiac was going to be a niche market,
> like they were going to experiment with new designs under the Pontiac brand,
> it wasn't going to be a full line anymore. At that point, Pontiac as you
> and I know it was DEAD.
>
> Now if they are announcing that Pontiac won't be used at all as a brand,
> that's just a HALF step further than they've already gone in the direction
> of
>
> Pontiac is dead.
>
> Note it's only a HALF step. Pontiac being history is old news. -Dave

Pontiac as niche brand = good (means they won't drop the Solstice, might
bring back another GTO or Firebird, etc.)

Pontiac completely dead = no enthusiast cars from GM = bad

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old April 25th 09, 05:06 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
edward ohare

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 15:47:08 -0400, necromancer - ECHM
> wrote:

>Ref: http://tinyurl.com/cc3dya
>
>According to the article, GM is set to announce Monday that it is
>killing off the Pontiac brand...

So, GM cuts off another arm. How much surgery do you perform on a
dying patient?
Old April 25th 09, 10:24 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer - ECHM[_2_]

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 12:06:42 -0400, edward ohare
> wrote:

>On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 15:47:08 -0400, necromancer - ECHM
> wrote:
>

>>Ref: http://tinyurl.com/cc3dya
>>
>>According to the article, GM is set to announce Monday that it is
>>killing off the Pontiac brand...

>So, GM cuts off another arm. How much surgery do you perform on a
>dying patient?

Apparently the bush-obama admin seems to think that we should continue
to operate untill the buble that is government bursts.

--
"When you can't afford the gas to drive to the job
that you are fixing to lose to pay for the house you
Old April 26th 09, 01:05 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Shawn Hirn wrote:
> In article >,
> Nate Nagel > wrote:
>
>> Dave wrote:
>>> "necromancer - ECHM" > wrote in
>>> message ...

>>> They announced a long time ago that Pontiac was going to be a niche market,
>>> like they were going to experiment with new designs under the Pontiac brand,
>>> it wasn't going to be a full line anymore. At that point, Pontiac as you
>>> and I know it was DEAD.
>>>
>>> Now if they are announcing that Pontiac won't be used at all as a brand,
>>> that's just a HALF step further than they've already gone in the direction
>>> of
>>>
>>> Pontiac is dead.
>>>
>>> Note it's only a HALF step. Pontiac being history is old news. -Dave
>>>

>> Pontiac as niche brand = good (means they won't drop the Solstice, might
>> bring back another GTO or Firebird, etc.)
>>
>> Pontiac completely dead = no enthusiast cars from GM = bad

> Good. The enthusiast car market is virtually dead. Only old farts want
> gas guzzling muscle cars now and they are a dying breed.

An enthusiast car does not have to be a "gas guzzling muscle car," you
brain dead moron. e.g. Lotus, or for the greenies, Tesla.

Pontiac does make the Solstice, you know...

nate

Old April 26th 09, 03:04 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Ulf

Nate Nagel wrote:
> Shawn Hirn wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Nate Nagel > wrote:

>>> Pontiac as niche brand = good (means they won't drop the Solstice,
>>> might bring back another GTO or Firebird, etc.)
>>>
>>> Pontiac completely dead = no enthusiast cars from GM = bad

>> Good. The enthusiast car market is virtually dead. Only old farts want
>> gas guzzling muscle cars now and they are a dying breed.

> An enthusiast car does not have to be a "gas guzzling muscle car," you
> brain dead moron. e.g. Lotus, or for the greenies, Tesla.
>
> Pontiac does make the Solstice, you know...

With that said, the new Camaro is pretty fuel efficient, all things
considered...

> nate

Ulf
Old April 26th 09, 03:32 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Eeyore

Shawn Hirn wrote:

> Nate Nagel > wrote:
> > Dave wrote:
> > > "necromancer - ECHM" > wrote

> > > They announced a long time ago that Pontiac was going to be a niche market,
> > > like they were going to experiment with new designs under the Pontiac brand,
> > > it wasn't going to be a full line anymore. At that point, Pontiac as you
> > > and I know it was DEAD.
> > >
> > > Now if they are announcing that Pontiac won't be used at all as a brand,
> > > that's just a HALF step further than they've already gone in the direction
> > > of
> > >
> > > Pontiac is dead.
> > >
> > > Note it's only a HALF step. Pontiac being history is old news. -Dave

> > Pontiac as niche brand = good (means they won't drop the Solstice, might
> > bring back another GTO or Firebird, etc.)
> >
> > Pontiac completely dead = no enthusiast cars from GM = bad

> Good. The enthusiast car market is virtually dead. Only old farts want
> gas guzzling muscle cars now and they are a dying breed.

Quick cars don't have to be gas guzzlers either. One of my * 2 litre * Saab turbos
which I'm sure must have had an ECU upgrade was absurdly fast for road driving.

Anything quicker belongs on the track.

Graham

Old April 26th 09, 03:33 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Eeyore

Scott in SoCal wrote:

> Shawn Hirn > wrote:
>
> >> Pontiac completely dead = no enthusiast cars from GM = bad

> >Good. The enthusiast car market is virtually dead. Only old farts want
> >gas guzzling muscle cars now and they are a dying breed.

> Do you consider 30 MPG to be "gas-guzzling?"

In what driving regime ?

Graham

Old April 26th 09, 11:00 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Eeyore

Scott in SoCal wrote:

> Eeyore > wrote:
> >Scott in SoCal wrote:

> >> Do you consider 30 MPG to be "gas-guzzling?"

> >In what driving regime ?

> Quit weaseling and answer the question: is a car that gets 30 MPG a
> "gas-guzzler?" Please answer with a "yes" or a "no."

That would be 37.5 mpg here I think and moderately reasonable as an overall
figure.

Graham