Frozen lake + BMW = Fun

Old January 24th 10, 07:49 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.autos.bmw
Ulf

Default Frozen lake + BMW = Fun

I took my BMW 535i out for a spin on a lake this weekend. Unfortunately,
it snowed a few days ago and with the sun out that meant 3-4 inches of
crusty snow on top of the ice, so speeds of 100+ mph were impossible.
All the people walking on the track didn't help either. You would think
that if they didn't like cars driving past at speed they would walk
somewhere else. The lake is almost 5 mi across, after all...

Anyway, despite the almost non-existent grip it was way more fun than
driving the Jeep, but with AWD it could have been awesome.

Enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg_wGRxsi-g

Ulf
Old January 24th 10, 08:01 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.autos.bmw
AZ Nomad[_3_]

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 20:49:54 +0100, Ulf > wrote:
>I took my BMW 535i out for a spin on a lake this weekend. Unfortunately,
>it snowed a few days ago and with the sun out that meant 3-4 inches of
>crusty snow on top of the ice, so speeds of 100+ mph were impossible.
>All the people walking on the track didn't help either. You would think
>that if they didn't like cars driving past at speed they would walk
>somewhere else. The lake is almost 5 mi across, after all...

>Anyway, despite the almost non-existent grip it was way more fun than
>driving the Jeep, but with AWD it could have been awesome.

Being in it while it rolls at 100+mph might not be.
Old January 26th 10, 06:07 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.autos.bmw
Ulf

AZ Nomad skrev:
> On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 20:49:54 +0100, Ulf > wrote:
>> I took my BMW 535i out for a spin on a lake this weekend. Unfortunately,
>> it snowed a few days ago and with the sun out that meant 3-4 inches of
>> crusty snow on top of the ice, so speeds of 100+ mph were impossible.
>> All the people walking on the track didn't help either. You would think
>> that if they didn't like cars driving past at speed they would walk
>> somewhere else. The lake is almost 5 mi across, after all...

>> Anyway, despite the almost non-existent grip it was way more fun than
>> driving the Jeep, but with AWD it could have been awesome.

> Being in it while it rolls at 100+mph might not be.

While that could have been a probability in an SUV, I don't see it
happening in a sedan. A rough calculation, assuming 90 mph to zero in 4
seconds, gives me 1 G. That's not even close to the force needed for a
car to flip.

Ulf
Old January 26th 10, 06:31 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.autos.bmw
AZ Nomad[_3_]

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 19:07:54 +0100, Ulf > wrote:
>AZ Nomad skrev:
>> On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 20:49:54 +0100, Ulf > wrote:
>>> I took my BMW 535i out for a spin on a lake this weekend. Unfortunately,
>>> it snowed a few days ago and with the sun out that meant 3-4 inches of
>>> crusty snow on top of the ice, so speeds of 100+ mph were impossible.
>>> All the people walking on the track didn't help either. You would think
>>> that if they didn't like cars driving past at speed they would walk
>>> somewhere else. The lake is almost 5 mi across, after all...

>>> Anyway, despite the almost non-existent grip it was way more fun than
>>> driving the Jeep, but with AWD it could have been awesome.

>> Being in it while it rolls at 100+mph might not be.

>While that could have been a probability in an SUV, I don't see it

The jeep isn't a SUV?
Old January 26th 10, 06:49 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.autos.bmw
Ulf

AZ Nomad skrev:
> On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 19:07:54 +0100, Ulf > wrote:
>> AZ Nomad skrev:

>>> Being in it while it rolls at 100+mph might not be.

>> While that could have been a probability in an SUV, I don't see it

> The jeep isn't a SUV?

Of course, I thought you meant the BMW. I'm glad I didn't drive my
Cherokee this time, going sideways in that at 90 mph with 4 inches of
hard snow could most definitely have been interesting.

BTW, an article on ice-racing on autoblog I just saw:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/22/i...racing-part-1/

Ulf
Old January 26th 10, 08:04 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.autos.bmw
AZ Nomad[_3_]

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 19:49:06 +0100, Ulf > wrote:
>AZ Nomad skrev:

>>> While that could have been a probability in an SUV, I don't see it

>> The jeep isn't a SUV?

>Of course, I thought you meant the BMW. I'm glad I didn't drive my
>Cherokee this time, going sideways in that at 90 mph with 4 inches of
>hard snow could most definitely have been interesting.

Sounds like the BMW was a blast.

Last time I did anyting like that was in a mall parking lot. It was
just 25mph and I had to do it in reverse as it was a FWD car. You
sure can get spinning pretty good when the driving wheels are turned.

As I was leaving, a mall cop drove up. "Had enough?" "Yup."
And that was it.

Frozen Doors TJ Sailor_Jeff Jeep 29 December 6th 07 05:42 AM
Frozen TJ Doors Sailor_Jeff Chrysler 1 December 1st 07 01:51 PM
Frozen starter [email protected] Technology 4 January 30th 07 12:17 PM
SC1 99 is frozen encapuchado Saturn 9 December 21st 04 08:37 PM
Frozen Bearing Andrew Perlow Dodge 0 October 17th 04 04:50 AM