Rough running cj

Old March 12th 05, 02:21 AM
Big Don

Default Rough running cj

I have a CJ with a 232 motor with a holley 2bbl carb on topm a mister gasket
spacer. the carb is a 280 cfm. It runs rough at low speeds and when cold. it
also misses at all speeds when it rains. I think the rough running is from
a vac leak under the carb. I'm only running a pcv, dist. advance and brake
booster. no canister. I have rebuilt the carb. replaced the head, intake and
exhaust gaskets with fel-pro. Also replaced the cap, rotor,plugs and checked
the wires. plus set the timing. also lapped in the valves and replaced the
seals when the head was off.. AND replaced all connectors on the coil and
starter relay. if it rains for 5 min. I'm done. the jeep will miss to were
it's undrivable. can anyone HELP

thanks
Don

Old March 12th 05, 03:14 AM
Mike Romain

Oh, also I just had the same thing going on so figured distributor cap.
I am on my way camping tonight so changed it today. The old one looked
new with only 2 years and low miles on it, but the damn thing had a
small crack on the inside of the coil post.... Bingo...

Mike

Old March 12th 05, 05:51 AM
DougW

Big Don did pass the time by typing:
> I have a CJ with a 232 motor with a holley 2bbl carb on topm a mister gasket
> spacer. the carb is a 280 cfm. It runs rough at low speeds and when cold. it
> also misses at all speeds when it rains. I think the rough running is from
> a vac leak under the carb. I'm only running a pcv, dist. advance and brake
> booster. no canister. I have rebuilt the carb. replaced the head, intake and
> exhaust gaskets with fel-pro. Also replaced the cap, rotor,plugs and checked
> the wires. plus set the timing. also lapped in the valves and replaced the
> seals when the head was off.. AND replaced all connectors on the coil and
> starter relay. if it rains for 5 min. I'm done. the jeep will miss to were
> it's undrivable. can anyone HELP

Missing when wet is a good sign of electrical problems. How's your engine
ground strap? Try a jumper cable from the block to the frame.

Take some TB/Carb cleaner and spray it around the base of your carb.
If the engine stammers you found a leak.

Don't forget all the other vac lines. Cracks anywhere in the system
will mess up a carbureted engine and cause stammer/rough idle.

Rough idle when cold can be the electric choke if you have one.

--
DougW

Old March 12th 05, 04:22 PM
Big Don