Role Of Car's Weight VS Choice of Tires on Snow Performance

Old December 27th 08, 12:07 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
ChrisCoaster

Default Role Of Car's Weight VS Choice of Tires on Snow Performance

My last car was a 2005 Chevy Malibu 3.5L V6. Curb Weight: 3174
(Consumerguide.com), F/R%: 59/41. Ti Performance-All-Season
Yokohama Avid H4S

My current ride is a 2008 Kia Optima 2.4L 4. Curb Weight: 3142, F/R%:
61/39. Ti Grand-Touring-All-Season Kumho Solus KH16

The Malibu(32lbs heavier) cut through up to 4 inches of unplowed snow
like it wasn't there.
The Optima folded up like an umbrella with only 1 inch unplowed on the
streets. Spinning in low-low gear, tracking sideways, holding up
traffic, you name it!

Opinions?

-ChrisCoaster
Old December 27th 08, 01:48 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

ChrisCoaster > wrote:
>My last car was a 2005 Chevy Malibu 3.5L V6. Curb Weight: 3174
>(Consumerguide.com), F/R%: 59/41. Ti Performance-All-Season
>Yokohama Avid H4S
>
>My current ride is a 2008 Kia Optima 2.4L 4. Curb Weight: 3142, F/R%:
>61/39. Ti Grand-Touring-All-Season Kumho Solus KH16

Those tires are not going to be acceptable for heavy winter driving.

>The Malibu(32lbs heavier) cut through up to 4 inches of unplowed snow
>like it wasn't there.

What tires did it have on it?

>The Optima folded up like an umbrella with only 1 inch unplowed on the
>streets. Spinning in low-low gear, tracking sideways, holding up
>traffic, you name it!

I'm not surprised.

>Opinions?

Buy snow tires and use them.
--scott
Old December 27th 08, 01:49 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_4_]

ChrisCoaster wrote:
> My last car was a 2005 Chevy Malibu 3.5L V6. Curb Weight: 3174
> (Consumerguide.com), F/R%: 59/41. Ti Performance-All-Season
> Yokohama Avid H4S
>
> My current ride is a 2008 Kia Optima 2.4L 4. Curb Weight: 3142, F/R%:
> 61/39. Ti Grand-Touring-All-Season Kumho Solus KH16
>
> The Malibu(32lbs heavier) cut through up to 4 inches of unplowed snow
> like it wasn't there.
> The Optima folded up like an umbrella with only 1 inch unplowed on the
> streets. Spinning in low-low gear, tracking sideways, holding up
> traffic, you name it!
>
> Opinions?
>
> -ChrisCoaster

Well the first item is that the V6 produced much more torque lower down
the rpm band than the Kia. That translates into less drive line shock to
the tires. Less shock means it's harder to break the tires loose.

The next is likely related to the way the tires are cut and the overall
tread pattern. A lot of small sipes cut close together to give the tire
more edges will work much better on snow than a tire with large open
voids and little siping.

Tire width and profile are next. A narrower tire that can cut through
the snow and get to harder surfaces will do better than a wide tire that
floats on top.

The last may be the road surface maintainance and clearing issue. If
they used more salt before and the weather was the correct temperature
so it can work properly and this year they cut back on the salt or it
warmed up so the snow was damp and packed the treads more that will also
cause problems.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York
Old December 27th 08, 02:13 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
ChrisCoaster

On Dec 26, 8:48*pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

> >The Malibu(32lbs heavier) cut through up to 4 inches of unplowed snow
> >like it wasn't there.

> What tires did it have on it?
> --scott
> --
> "C'est un Nagra. *C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

___________________________
Re-read the section about my Malibu in my original post and you will
find out what tires it had.

You, like I, have "American's disease" as my Asian wife calls it: We
never see what's right in front of us nor do we close what we open or
put back what we take out!

peas!
-CC

Old December 27th 08, 04:23 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
ray

ChrisCoaster wrote:
> My last car was a 2005 Chevy Malibu 3.5L V6. Curb Weight: 3174
> (Consumerguide.com), F/R%: 59/41. Ti Performance-All-Season
> Yokohama Avid H4S
>
> My current ride is a 2008 Kia Optima 2.4L 4. Curb Weight: 3142, F/R%:
> 61/39. Ti Grand-Touring-All-Season Kumho Solus KH16
>
> The Malibu(32lbs heavier) cut through up to 4 inches of unplowed snow
> like it wasn't there.
> The Optima folded up like an umbrella with only 1 inch unplowed on the
> streets. Spinning in low-low gear, tracking sideways, holding up
> traffic, you name it!
>
> Opinions?
>
> -ChrisCoaster

You didn't mention transmission types - is the Kia a stick?
What was the 'Bu like the first winter you got it? Maybe you need to
"relearn" how to drive this car - in the winter, I'll be driving either
a FWD/automatic Beretta, a stickshift RWD pickup, or an AWD Subaru and I
have to remind myself that they handle snow and ice completely
different. (the Subaru is the best by far.)

Ray
Old December 27th 08, 03:08 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ChrisCoaster

On Dec 26, 11:23*pm, ray > wrote:
> ChrisCoaster wrote:
> > My last car was a 2005 Chevy Malibu 3.5L V6. Curb Weight: 3174
> > (Consumerguide.com), *F/R%: 59/41. *Ti Performance-All-Season
> > Yokohama Avid H4S

> > My current ride is a 2008 Kia Optima 2.4L 4. Curb Weight: 3142, *F/R%:
> > 61/39. *Ti Grand-Touring-All-Season Kumho Solus KH16

> > The Malibu(32lbs heavier) cut through up to 4 inches of unplowed snow
> > like it wasn't there.
> > The Optima folded up like an umbrella with only 1 inch unplowed on the
> > streets. *Spinning in low-low gear, tracking sideways, holding up
> > traffic, you name it!

> > Opinions?

> > -ChrisCoaster

> You didn't mention transmission types - is the Kia a stick?
> What was the 'Bu like the first winter you got it? *Maybe you need to
> "relearn" how to drive this car - in the winter, I'll be driving either
> a FWD/automatic Beretta, a stickshift RWD pickup, or an AWD Subaru and I
> have to remind myself that they handle snow and ice completely
> different. *(the Subaru is the best by far.)
>
> Ray- Hide quoted text -

__________________________
Both the Malibu and Optima were automatic. Bu = 4spd, Op = 5spd.

Malibu got through 2 winters on FS Affinity LH30s. It got through
last winter on Yok AVID H series 4S.

TFT rep did explain the tread differences between my Optima's present
Kumhos and the H4S - the H4s had full evacuation from the outer
grooves to the sides of the tire, the Kumho's laterals(toward the
sides of the tires, narrowed to almost nothing going in from the edge
of the tire to the first groove in. Moral: Snow/ice/applesauce/
whatever had nowhere to go!

-CC

Old December 27th 08, 03:12 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ChrisCoaster

__________________________
Both the Malibu and Optima were automatic. Bu = 4spd, Op = 5spd.

Malibu got through 2 winters on FS Affinity LH30s. It got through
last winter on Yok AVID H series 4S.

TFT rep did explain the tread differences between my Optima's present
Kumho Solus KH16s and the H4S - the H4s had full evacuation from the
outer
grooves to the sides of the tire, the Kumho's laterals(toward the
sides of the tires, narrowed to almost nothing going in from the edge
of the tire to the first groove in. Moral: Snow/ice/applesauce/
whatever had nowhere to go on the Kumho Solus KH16s!

And that's too bad, because these Kumhos are the QUIETEST TIRE I have
ever ridden on - in my cars or anyone elses.
Yes, SO QUIET I HAVE TO TYPE IN CAPS!!!!

-CC

Old December 27th 08, 03:16 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

ChrisCoaster > wrote:

>TFT rep did explain the tread differences between my Optima's present
>Kumhos and the H4S - the H4s had full evacuation from the outer
>grooves to the sides of the tire, the Kumho's laterals(toward the
>sides of the tires, narrowed to almost nothing going in from the edge
>of the tire to the first groove in. Moral: Snow/ice/applesauce/
>whatever had nowhere to go!

Neither one of these tires are going to perfom acceptably well on
snow. The Kumhos will be worse, but really, spend the money for
snow tires and you will be amazed.
--scott
Old December 27th 08, 03:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ChrisCoaster

On Dec 26, 8:48*pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
> ChrisCoaster > wrote:
> >My last car was a 2005 Chevy Malibu 3.5L V6. Curb Weight: 3174
> >(Consumerguide.com), *F/R%: 59/41. *Ti Performance-All-Season
> >Yokohama Avid H4S

> >My current ride is a 2008 Kia Optima 2.4L 4. Curb Weight: 3142, *F/R%:
> >61/39. *Ti Grand-Touring-All-Season Kumho Solus KH16

> Those tires are not going to be acceptable for heavy winter driving.
>
> >The Malibu(32lbs heavier) cut through up to 4 inches of unplowed snow
> >like it wasn't there.

> What tires did it have on it?
>
> >The Optima folded up like an umbrella with only 1 inch unplowed on the
> >streets. *Spinning in low-low gear, tracking sideways, holding up
> >traffic, you name it!

> I'm not surprised.
>
> >Opinions?

> Buy snow tires and use them.
> --scott
> --
> "C'est un Nagra. *C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

______________
I can't see your 10:16AM(latest) reply Scott. I can see that you
replied, but can't read it at the bottom of this thread. DAMN
GoogleGroups!!

-CC

Old December 27th 08, 04:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

ChrisCoaster > wrote:
>I can't see your 10:16AM(latest) reply Scott. I can see that you
>replied, but can't read it at the bottom of this thread. DAMN
>GoogleGroups!!

It was basically another suggestion to get real snow tires. Let me also
suggest getting off of Google Groups and using a real newsreader. Ask
your ISP if they offer Usenet news service directly through NNTP. It is
much faster and you get your choice of various interfaces, most of which
are far better than Google's.
--scott

BMW 330Xi Snow Performance Rob[_14_] BMW 9 February 5th 08 12:21 AM
snow tires Nate Nagel[_2_] Driving 2 December 6th 07 03:44 AM
Winter drivinng: FWD and RWD with snow tires vs. AWD with all-season tires - what people who have done the tests say GRL BMW 27 February 26th 06 06:27 PM
FS: 5'er Snow Tires: Wheels and Tires Nik BMW 5 December 16th 05 12:36 AM
How much weight to put at the back of truck to make it steady in snow arfam4 4x4 22 January 12th 04 04:07 AM