concern about Quebec speeding ticket

Old August 11th 05, 09:43 PM
fritz

Default concern about Quebec speeding ticket

About 3 weeks ago I was caught for speeding in Quebec. Now I was
speeding, about 140 in a 100 zone. I am also am from Ontario and
expect to get screwed over a little by Quebec police. Everyone else
was doing about 130, but I understand that you get caught you get
caught. But being my first time getting a speeding ticket in quebec I
am a bit worried.

I got pulled over on the 20 just before Montreal. The cop (who was
wearing camoflage combat pants, when did that become part of the cops
uniform??) told me I was doing 140 and I didn't argue. He went back to
his car with my liscence and registration. He comes back after 5
minutes and tells me its a $240 ticket. He hands me my lisence and
registration but no paper ticket. I am dumb founded for a second then
wave him down as he is about to pull away. I ask where the paper
ticket is and he says it will be mailed to me. At this point I just
wanted to leave and it is possible they just mail the tickets now so I
rode off at the spead limit (while everyone was wizzing by me at 130).

Is this legit? I haven't gotten anything in the mail yet but I have no
number to call, no ticket or sheet of paper saying what happened. Even
if I wanted to fight it I have no contact number or even the a
jurisdiction to call to see where my ticket is. Does this sound weird,
has anyone else run into this?

Old August 11th 05, 10:18 PM
Dave Smith

fritz wrote:

> About 3 weeks ago I was caught for speeding in Quebec. Now I was
> speeding, about 140 in a 100 zone. I am also am from Ontario and
> expect to get screwed over a little by Quebec police. Everyone else
> was doing about 130, but I understand that you get caught you get
> caught. But being my first time getting a speeding ticket in quebec I
> am a bit worried.
>
> I got pulled over on the 20 just before Montreal. The cop (who was
> wearing camoflage combat pants, when did that become part of the cops
> uniform??) told me I was doing 140 and I didn't argue. He went back to
> his car with my liscence and registration. He comes back after 5
> minutes and tells me its a $240 ticket. He hands me my lisence and
> registration but no paper ticket. I am dumb founded for a second then
> wave him down as he is about to pull away. I ask where the paper
> ticket is and he says it will be mailed to me. At this point I just
> wanted to leave and it is possible they just mail the tickets now so I
> rode off at the spead limit (while everyone was wizzing by me at 130).
>
> Is this legit? I haven't gotten anything in the mail yet but I have no
> number to call, no ticket or sheet of paper saying what happened. Even
> if I wanted to fight it I have no contact number or even the a
> jurisdiction to call to see where my ticket is. Does this sound weird,
> has anyone else run into this?

How long as it been? You can usually count on something like that coming
within a few weeks. FWIW, in Ontario charges can be laid up to six months
from the offense date. I suppose there is the chance that the cop messed up
the ticket and you got off.

It is always a good idea to watch your speed entering Quebec. I go to
Montreal several times per year and it is rare not to see speed
enforcement. It is especially active in that first town you go through
where the speed limit drops to 50 kph. When I went up there last fall
there were a number of cruisers along that stretch and I saw three
different cars pulled over by the cops.

If you do get something in the mail you are well advised to pay it, unless
you want to go all the way up there to fight it. Failure to pay it will
lead to your license being suspended.

Old August 11th 05, 10:33 PM

fritz a =E9crit :

> About 3 weeks ago I was caught for speeding in Quebec. Now I was
> speeding, about 140 in a 100 zone. I am also am from Ontario and
> expect to get screwed over a little by Quebec police. Everyone else
> was doing about 130, but I understand that you get caught you get
> caught. But being my first time getting a speeding ticket in quebec I
> am a bit worried.
>
> I got pulled over on the 20 just before Montreal. The cop (who was
> wearing camoflage combat pants, when did that become part of the cops
> uniform??) told me I was doing 140 and I didn't argue. He went back to
> his car with my liscence and registration. He comes back after 5
> minutes and tells me its a $240 ticket. He hands me my lisence and
> registration but no paper ticket. I am dumb founded for a second then
> wave him down as he is about to pull away. I ask where the paper
> ticket is and he says it will be mailed to me. At this point I just
> wanted to leave and it is possible they just mail the tickets now so I
> rode off at the spead limit (while everyone was wizzing by me at 130).
>
> Is this legit? I haven't gotten anything in the mail yet but I have no
> number to call, no ticket or sheet of paper saying what happened. Even
> if I wanted to fight it I have no contact number or even the a
> jurisdiction to call to see where my ticket is. Does this sound weird,
> has anyone else run into this?

Yeah a acquaintance got a 132km/h in a 90 road like this around
Christmas.

It is sent registered mail. However no law says you have to read mail.
So if you recieve a stub saying you have registered mail, it is
probably this ticket, so just ignore it, as you have not been properly
served.

Just for my own info, was this west or east of Dorion (where the 20
turns into a boulevard with traffic lights for some reason...) You were
going East? How was the cop set up? Over a incline round a curve? Did
he get you with LIDAR, RADAR? Multiple-car trap or a single guy? Marked
or unmarked? Crown Vic or Impala? Intrepid?! Interested.

Old August 12th 05, 01:47 AM
Strela

Just for my own info, was this west or east of Dorion (where the 20
turns into a boulevard with traffic lights for some reason...) You were
going East? How was the cop set up? Over a incline round a curve? Did
he get you with LIDAR, RADAR? Multiple-car trap or a single guy? Marked
or unmarked? Crown Vic or Impala? Intrepid?! Interested.

I got nailed for 240.00 just outside of Dorion coming east off the the 20.
The speed limit drops down in a hurry. It is a fishing hole. When i got
nailed there where over 5 Dorion squad cars there, guess what, they were
nailing non Quebec plates only, i asked, how come the quebec plate infront
me got by, he smiled and said, "I was watching you, not him", okay, i got
the message.

Old August 12th 05, 02:03 AM
Dave Smith

> fritz a =E9crit :
>
> > About 3 weeks ago I was caught for speeding in Quebec. Now I was
> > speeding, about 140 in a 100 zone. I am also am from Ontario and
> > expect to get screwed over a little by Quebec police. Everyone else
> > was doing about 130, but I understand that you get caught you get
> > caught. But being my first time getting a speeding ticket in quebec =

> > am a bit worried.
> >
> > I got pulled over on the 20 just before Montreal. The cop (who was
> > wearing camoflage combat pants, when did that become part of the cops=

> > uniform??) told me I was doing 140 and I didn't argue. He went back =

> > his car with my liscence and registration. He comes back after 5
> > minutes and tells me its a $240 ticket. He hands me my lisence and
> > registration but no paper ticket. I am dumb founded for a second the=

> > wave him down as he is about to pull away. I ask where the paper
> > ticket is and he says it will be mailed to me. At this point I just
> > wanted to leave and it is possible they just mail the tickets now so =

> > rode off at the spead limit (while everyone was wizzing by me at 130)=

=2E

> > Is this legit? I haven't gotten anything in the mail yet but I have =

no
> > number to call, no ticket or sheet of paper saying what happened. Ev=

en
> > if I wanted to fight it I have no contact number or even the a
> > jurisdiction to call to see where my ticket is. Does this sound weir=

d,
> > has anyone else run into this?

> Yeah a acquaintance got a 132km/h in a 90 road like this around
> Christmas.
>
> It is sent registered mail. However no law says you have to read mail.
> So if you recieve a stub saying you have registered mail, it is
> probably this ticket, so just ignore it, as you have not been properly
> served.

I would not count on that one without first checking to make sure that Qu=
ebec
law is different from other provinces. In the case of the accused residi=
ng
out of province, Ontario law deems a person to be serviced 7 days after t=
he
summons is sent by registered mail, whether or not the person signs for i=
and accepts the letter. That stunt would work for a resident of Quebec bu=
not for a non resident.

Old August 12th 05, 04:33 AM
fritz

There were no traffic lights. It was getting very close to Monteral,
where abouts I am not sure. It was 4 lanes with a lot of grass
seperating the eastbound and west bound lanes. He was parked on the
left side just passed a slight rise in the road. I didn't see him
until I came over the rise and then I knew it was too late. He said he
caught me on radar and it was a single cop.

Funny thing, I drove from Halifax to Toronto and the only cop I ever
saw was the one that pulled me over. Seeing the traffic in Quebec
going 130+ everywhere I thought I was ok.

I was speeding so I have no problem pleading guilty and paying the
fine. What worries is I am waiting for something in the mail and have
no idea what to expect. Could the cop be thinking don't physically
give him a ticket (keep it) and let the court date come and go with out
the fool knowing better. Suddenly a few months later I have a warrent
for my arrest for not paying the fine. Perhaps I am paranoid.

Old August 16th 05, 12:08 AM
SheBlewHimDidYouBlowHim

well, if you had shot the ****ing useless scum pig in the first place you
wouldn't have to be worrying about some bull**** ticket showing up.