'93 SC2 flunks NY state emissions on HCs...

Old October 15th 05, 07:26 PM
Philip Nasadowski

Default '93 SC2 flunks NY state emissions on HCs...

Ok, I'm ast the end of my rope here. I'm flunking the NY state
emissions on HC's. Cutpoint's .80, I'm at 1.0. NOx and CO are
virtually nil, like 1/4 or less the limit:

* Put in a new cat. No real change.
* Put in new plugs, wires, coils. No help.
* Changed the fuel filter. Old one was plugged badly. This got me from
1.45 to 1.0.
* Changed the thermostat. Not checked it yet but the thing stays in
more or less the same temp range anyway.
* O2 sensor. Was ok.

I'm thinking either ignition related, vacuum leak (but where?), or fuel
pump/pressure regulator, maybe? I mean, what else is there? Slip the
tester $75 and be done with it?
Old October 15th 05, 09:36 PM
justastreekin

CTS has this ever been changed they are cheap, maybe 20 bucks , can be
checked with ohm meter should read high resistance when cold about 4k ohms
at 60 degree f. about 100 ohms when hot say about 240 degree f. When my CTS
went bad it ran ok when cold but when hot engine was geting to much gas,
might be your problem!

Old October 16th 05, 12:41 AM
Philip Nasadowski

In article
outautos.com>,
"justastreekin" > wrote:

> CTS has this ever been changed they are cheap, maybe 20 bucks , can be
> checked with ohm meter should read high resistance when cold about 4k ohms
> at 60 degree f. about 100 ohms when hot say about 240 degree f. When my CTS
> went bad it ran ok when cold but when hot engine was geting to much gas,
> might be your problem!

CTS #3 or 4 in there now :/
Old October 16th 05, 03:37 AM
justastreekin

Glad we dont have emission testing here phil, one other possiblity is maybe
injector leaking or pluging up, i dont believe the cleaner you put in the
tank will help!! i have had sticky injectors and i took them all out and
cleaned them while activating them with 1.5v flashlight batery. i have 170
thousand on my 93 whats yours got on it?

Old October 16th 05, 06:17 AM

I thought that only vehicles newer than about 1997 were being
subjected to this dumb test that is part of a new and rotten way
for the gouging NY state officials to lighten the state's
populace? Sorry, I must be one of those pessimists that I've
been seeing mentioned in the news. The state web sites I think
reflect what I'm saying regarding the emissions test, at least
they did awhile back. If my old car fails this, it'll sit.

Old October 17th 05, 12:27 AM
Bob Shuman

Have you looked at the PCV? How much oil is it burning? What weight oil
are you using now?

Bob

Old October 17th 05, 01:31 AM
Philip Nasadowski

In article >,
"Bob Shuman" > wrote:

> Have you looked at the PCV?

Replaced that too.

> How much oil is it burning?

Not much. I don't even bother checking it between changes much since
it's well below 1 qt every 1,000 miles.

> What weight oil are you using now?

Stuff that's spec'd on the oil cap.
Old October 17th 05, 03:42 AM
Blah Blah

In Ohio if you spend X amount of money in trying to correct the
emissions failure you can get a waiver. Not sure if NY has a simular law
but its worth looking into.

http://www.epa.state.oh.us/dapc/eche.../waiextem.html

What is a waiver?

When a vehicle has failed at least one emissions test and the owner has
made efforts to have that vehicle repaired, a waiver may be issued at an
E-Check test facility. The motorist must bring all original emissions-
related repair receipts, as well as the vehicle, to the station in order
for a waiver to be issued. Repairs may be performed at any repair
facility or by the vehicle owner. In the case of self-repairs, only
receipts for parts will count toward a waiver. An owner may not submit
receipts for her/his own labor. Tampering-related repairs do not count
towards either waiver option. Note: waivers are not transferable to the
new owner if the vehicle is sold.

Option 1 - Applies to the Tailpipe Test Only:

CONDITIONAL PASS WAIVERS are issued after the initial tailpipe test. To
qualify for this waiver, the vehicle must be a 1995 or older model year
and must show:

a) at least a 30 percent improvement from the initial emissions
readings for which the vehicle failed without causing initially passed
readings to exceed state standards; AND

b) eligible receipts for emissions-related repairs totaling at least
$200. Tampering-related repairs do not count towards this option.
Receipts will only be accepted for repairs performed within sixty days
of the initial inspection.

The above type of waiver applies only to vehicles tested via the
tailpipe test.