'92 SL1 cooling fam wont come on

Old April 15th 06, 03:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Default '92 SL1 cooling fam wont come on

The cooling fan on my 92 SL 1 wont come on although the temp gauge is past
midway. There is current to the fan relay in the fuse box and current to
the fuse also.Where else should i look next? Thanks for your help.....Mark
in Kansas City

Old April 15th 06, 06:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

MARK wrote:
> The cooling fan on my 92 SL 1 wont come on although the temp gauge is past
> midway. There is current to the fan relay in the fuse box and current to
> the fuse also.Where else should i look next? Thanks for your help.....Mark
> in Kansas City

With 95 SL2 the fan was thermostat controlled. It came on a good bit
past the halfway mark. When it did, you knew it because you could see
the gauge drop. If the AC is not on, the fan was controlled by the
thermostat. The fan came on and stayed on when the AC was on.

Hope this helps,
Chris
Old April 15th 06, 06:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

What if the A/C does not have a charge?Wil it still come on?....Mark
. ..

Old April 15th 06, 06:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Also , I tested the fan with the battery and it did come on....Mark
. com...

Old April 15th 06, 06:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 14:59:45 GMT, "MARK" >
wrote:

>The cooling fan on my 92 SL 1 wont come on although the temp gauge is past
>midway. There is current to the fan relay in the fuse box and current to
>the fuse also.Where else should i look next? Thanks for your help.....Mark
>in Kansas City

I've found that my 96SL2 doesn't kick on the fan till the temp is
almost 3/4ths then shuts off about 1/2.

hth,

tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com

Old April 15th 06, 07:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Well , ok , I was juist concerend that it might be over heating.I try to
take care of my cars , although this is
my sons car, I have been fixing it,and am new to Saturns.We bought it for
$300.00 It needed a clutch, cv joints and thats was it.It has 184K miles on
it, sun roof and looked good.I have found the car to be very well engineered
and pretty simple to work on SO FAR.....LOL.....Mark
PS: on the back of thge motor there are 2 sensors of some kind, one has 2
wires going to it(one yellow) na dthe other has 1 wire .What is the correct
postion of these wires?... Mark

Old April 15th 06, 09:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

> Well , ok , I was juist concerend that it might be over heating.

Blowing steam and bursting hoses is overheating. Half way on the gauge is
nowhere near it.

I've run my 92 SC race car on the track at the top of the red on the temp
gauge for 20 minutes with no problems at all. Granted, it's not good to do
that if you can avoid it...

Your fan should come on at about 3/4 on the gauge. You can test it by
turning on the air conditioning - the fan should come on. Make sure the
plastic air dam is still under the car near the radiator as it helps a lot
with cooling (wasn't on my race car at the time it was running that hot).

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]
---
Visit my Saturn Car Audio and Performance Page at http://www.evilplastic.com

. net...

Old April 16th 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

They are simple little cars but as for well enginered they should have
a Rebuild Engine light that comes on after 200,000km I have always used
100% synthetic oil in all my cars and have had wonderfull luck but my
SC1 had to rebuild the engine @ 205,000. My 3 Chryslers had over
350,000kms and my Hyundai had close to 400,000 oh and my Crown Vic went
to 400,000 so in short the engine is crap.

Old April 16th 06, 01:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Well, just so you know, I work for Ford Motor, I and i found this car very
easy to work on. I doubt that changing the clutch in any of the cars u
mentioned(cept the Crown Vic,it dont have one) would have been near as easy
as the Saturn was....Mark
oups.com...