rec.autos.makers.chrysler FAQ, Part 1/6

Old September 8th 06, 05:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,rec.answers,news.answers
Dr. David Zatz

Default rec.autos.makers.chrysler FAQ, Part 1/6

Archive-name: autos/chrysler-faq/general/part1
Posting-Frequency: 15 days
Last-modified: 2006/6/1
Version: 5.9

This section is generally revised every 300 days.
- - - - - - - - - - - -
IMPORTANT. Do not attempt to respond to .
Due to spam this address DOES NOT GO ANYWHERE.
Instead, reply to faq2 at that allpar /dot/ com address.
If that fails, go to allpar.com and provide feedback from there.
Thank you.
- - - - - - - - - - - -
* Important Note * Chrysler generally refers to the full Chrysler Group
(Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep) or, historically, Chrysler Corporation (including
Plymouth, DeSoto, Eagle, and, while they belonged to Chrysler, Simca,
Rootes Group, Sunbeam, Singer, and AMC).

DISCLAIMER:
While every effort has been taken to insure the accuracy of the
information contained in this FAQ list compilation, the author and
contributors assume no responsibility for errors or omissions, or for
damages resulting from the use of the information contained herein.
Some of the information is presented as opinion rather than fact.
The writers and the maintainer do not claim to be authorities.
information below may be reproduced in any way IF credit is
given to the writers and maintainer; and that it is not published in
book or magazine form without the prior written permission of the
maintainer; that the maintainer receives, without asking, a FREE
copy of the final material; and that no changes are made (except for
formatting) without the express permission of the maintainer
(David Zatz - contact me via allpar.com).
- - - - - - - - - - - -
If you did not obtain this FAQ from one of its
newsgroups or from the rtfm.mit.edu archives, it is probably
NOT a current edition. The latest copy may be obtained from
http://www.allpar.com/faq.html
- - - - - - - - - - - -

CONTENTS

Part 1 -
Related Resources (groups, Web sites, recall/TSB info)
Before You Post, Read This!
The Newsgroup: charter, notes, rationale
Frequently Asked Chrysler/Mopar Questions
Up and Coming
Important Chrysler folk

Part 2
What should I do...
1. ... before I post?
2. ... if I have problems with Chrysler?
3. ... if I own this car? (list of models and what to look for)
Oil Filter Discussion
List of All Engines Since 1966
1. Guide to V-8s
List of All Body Styles Since 1966

Part 3
Engine Codes
Classic Car Troubleshooting
Reading codes without a scan tool
(computer controlled, carbureted engines)
Crankcase inlet air filter, 2.2/2.5 engines.

Part 4
Driveability: engine idling, power, mileage, stalling
Transmissions
Note that this part will be discontinued

Part 5
Funny noises
Oil leaks
Temperature stuff
Note that this part will be discontinued

Part 6
Troubleshooting (except what is covered by parts 3, 4, and 5)
This part will be discontinued

Related FAQs:
Neon - maintained by the Neon mailing list.

BEFORE POSTING WITH COMPLAINTS/QUESTIONS

1. Check the FAQ.

2. Paranoia, overposting, and thoughtless posts are common.
Show off your intelligence and maturity.

3. Do not confuse Chrysler with your dealership,
the zone office, or the guy who picks up the phone.

4. If you are having problems with Chrysler or your dealer, read
the relevant parts of the FAQ (1, 2) and the Web site.

5. The natural inclination of people who have been mistreated is
to respond to many posts. However, all companies sometimes make
lemons or fail to treat customers well. Try to restrain anger.

- Related Resources:

http://allpar.com/ - major owner/enthusiast site
* Models, history, repair, performance info

Contact Chrysler via Net - http://www.dcanswers.com

Phone Numbers

1-800-992-1997 Chrysler Customer Service - USA
1-800-465-2001 Chrysler Canada
1-800-255-9877 adapting new vehicles for people w/disabilities.
1-800-626-1523 Mopar catalog of manuals, videos, books (free)
1-800-677-5782 local 5-Star Dealer locator
1-800-998-1110 Neon Racing Headquarters
Mopar Performance Tech Line: 1-888-528-HEMI.
Hours are Monday through Friday, 9 AM to 5 PM ET.

Other Resources

Plymouth Owners Club (Plymouth & Fargo 25+ years old)
203 Main St., Cavalier, North Dakota 58220
Great magazine! http://www.plymouthbulletin.com/

WPC Restorers' Club (Walter P Chrysler Club)
Also a good magazine!
http://www.chryslerclub.org/

Chrysler Canada Customer Service:
Chrysler Center, P.O. Box 1621
Windsor, Ontario N9A 4H6

Chrysler Europe NV
Woluwedal 106-108, 1200 Brussels, Belgium - Europe

The Chrysler Historical Foundation, at 12501 Chrysler
Freeway, CIMS 410-11-21, Highland Park, MI 48288,
can supply you with service manuals, build records,
and stock photos for a reasonable fee (1967 or older cars).

If you have a Web site: http://www.weborial.com/
Other cars, http://www.acarplace.com/
Valiant series, http://www.valiant.org/
PT Cruiser, http://www.ptcruizer.com/

Newsgroups
rec.autos.makers.chrysler
rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
alt.hi-po.mopars
alt.hi-po.mopars.neon
alt.autos.dodge.trucks
others in rec.autos.*
.. wiz.mopar

Chrysler was the first make in the rec.autos.makers.* hierarchy, but
Volkswagen was the first make to have a Big Seven newsgroup.
Chrysler beat both GM and Ford to having a Big Seven newsgroup!

Lloyd R. Parker, Wayne Toy, Bohdan Bodnar, and Dan Stern.

*************************CONTENTS***************** ************

This is divided into corporate and car sections.

I. CORPORATE

1. What does DCX mean? DaimlerChrysler
(DC used to mean Direct Connection, precursor to Mopar Performance)
DCX is DaimlerChrysler's stock symbol. The X was
rumored to stand for Honda at one point (as in DCH)).

2. What is Chrysler's US customer service number? 800-992-1997

3. What is Chrysler's e-mail address?

Contact Chrysler via a Web form - see "contact us" on their brand web sites
(dodge.com, chrysler.com, jeep.com).

4. What about the merger / takeover?

Motivation: Chrysler execs got about $60 million in personal profit.
Daimler bought Chrysler, doubling their profits.
They reportedly siphoned off Chrysler profits via accounting
tricks in order to make Mercedes look more profitable.
Daimler got Chrysler's $8-10 billion war chest and Chrysler Credit.
One UAW and one German union rep on the new board.
Only one Chrysler rep on the board left from original four.
Many plants were sold. More are still being sold.
Mitsubishi seems to be trying to separate as is Hyundai.
Direct Mercedes domination seems to be fading, but money is
reportedly still leaving Auburn Hills at an alarming rate,
and decontenting to fix Mercedes' losses is noticeable.

7. What's the deal with Chrysler still using Mitsubishis?

Just after Chrysler phased out the last Mitsubishi engine,
Daimler announced that Chrysler would phase out all
Chrysler four cylinders in favor of jointly designed fours.
A joint small V6 is rumored now as well. The new engine is
said to be a powerhouse, but it's not a Hyundai or
Mitsubishi engine, it's a true joint venture. Details:
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/world-engine.html

As far as the Avenger/Sebring and Caliber, they were
jointly developed - we understand Chrylser was leading
both, though they used newer Mitsubishi basic platforms.
(MMC has now decided not to use the mid-sized sedans.)

You can read about Chrysler's future
vehicles at http://www.allpar.com/model/upcoming.html

8. What's the deal with Chrysler's names in Canada and elsewhere?

Same names, different cars. Different names, same cars.
For the history, see http://www.valiant.org/canada.html
and http://www.allpar.com/world/

Dodge and Plymouth cars were both ended in Canada, but Dodge was
later restored and is back in Europe after many decades.

9. How reliable are Consumer Reports' ratings?

See the discussion at http://www.allpar.com/cr.html

10. How can I get help for problems Chrysler won't fix?

See the discussion at http://www.allpar.com/trouble.html.
Keep trying the Chrysler Customer Center. Know the TSBs.
Visit http://www.nhtsa.gov ... keep trying and keep your cool.

11. What's the deal with Chrysler Europe, Simca, and Talbot?

Chrysler owned Simca and Rootes until the late 70s, but
sales kept going up and down (usually down). Peugeot bought them
and sold the Omni as the Talbot. They had Simca/Sunbeam engines
(Lloyd Parker). The Centura sold in Australia was a Simca (Dan Stern).
See http://www.allpar.com/world/ for many details.
These cars and the former Rootes Group brands, such as Singer,
Sunbeam, Hillman, and Humber, are covered by
http://www.rootes-chrysler.co.uk/

12. Why are so many Chrysler dealers so awful?

Bad contracts. Organizational culture. Incorrect
assumptions at all levels. Zone officials who think
all customers are whiners and all dealers are honest.
Blinders at corporate offices...

13. What is Chrysler doing about it?

Five Star program which requires better processes to be
in place and does not rely solely on survey ratings
helps SOME Chrysler dealers. It seems to be circumvented by less
scrupulous dealers with less dedicated zone reps.
Overall Five Star worked well for dealers who cared and
was probably useless for the less reputable ones.
Program appears to not have much corporate traction
and dealer quality does not seem to be a priority now.

********

14. Should I use high octane gas?

Only if your car was designed for it (see your owner's manual) or if
you've advanced the timing or your engine is knocking. According to
Chrysler and others, many high-octane gasolines have a low
driveability index, which can cause long cold start times,
warm-up sags, hesitations, and driveway die outs. Under the law,
ALL gasolines sold in the US must meet certain standards for
detergent; if you really need to "drive your engine clean" get a
bottle of Techron or Mopar engine cleaner.

Chrysler turbo engines are all designed to use premium.

20. Is X good for my engine? (includes Slick50)

The Toyota FAQ (Todd Haverstock) sez: "Independent labs as well
as engine manufacturer Briggs and Stratton have rendered a
verdict that Slick 50 and similar oil treatments are useless."
The Gasoline FAQ says most gasoline additives are useless.
Others have weighed in on that score, and DuPont sued to prevent
Slick 50 from using Teflon (unsuccessfully). For more details:
http://www.tfb.com/sdmc/oil.html

21. Do I have a Chrysler or Mitsubishi (MMC) engine?

See part 2.

22. Does the Mini really use a modified Neon engine?

Yes, it's a smaller version of the Neon engine designed for European
Neons and a small Chrysler that never materialized. The factory was a
joint venture with Rover. The supercharged version is quite nice.

23. What does SOHC, SMPI, etc mean? What do I have?

Note: No current Chrysler has a distributor or throttle body injection.

* DIS means distributorless ignition system. No rotor!
* SOHC and DOHC refer to the number of camshafts; one or two.
* EFI means electronic fuel injection, such as the following:
* TBI - throttle body injection; one or two injectors
spray fuel into the air as it heads to the cylinders.
* MPI uses one fuel injector for each cylinder. It sprays fuel in
the intake manifold, firing at the intake valves. Smoother than
TBI, with more power *and* better mileage.
* SMPI is sequential multiple-point injection; the injector only
fires when the fuel can go straight through the valve and into
the cylinder instead of splashing onto a closed valve.
* Direct injection sprays fuel directly into each cylinder.
This is mainly used in diesel engines (thanks, Michael Turley!)
-- Note: all current Chrysler products use DIS and returnless
SMPI. Mitsubishi is pioneering direct injection for gas engines.
The latest is coil on plug ignition which provides a separate coil for each
spark plug, located right on top of the plug, for the best control and
spark power.

25. What kind of oil should I use in my four cylinder engine?

On February 7, 1995, a Chrysler engineer said 5W30 was best for
all four-cylinder non-turbo engines, for winter or
year-round in climates such as that of New Jersey.
All dealers I surveyed incorrectly recommended and used 10W30!
- In 1993 and 1998 Chrysler said 5W30 was best for all its cars.
- Dan Stern says synthetic 10W30 is better than natural 5W30.
- The benefits of 5W30 or synthetics seem greatest in cold
weather when oil is most viscous (before the engine warms).
- Even GM recommends 5W30 on their Vortec V8s.
- 5W30 was recommended for all years of the 2.0 in most climates.

Use Energy Conserving II and SH grades where possible.

For my car, recommended oil changes are at 6 months / 7,500
miles. I change it at 6 months or 6,000 miles. GM says many owners
do not need to change oil until 10,000 miles! If you are concerned,
use synthetic and change at 6,000.

** CHECK YOUR MANUAL **. Dealers often suggest things like changing
your antifreeze every three months to get easy money. If
you exceed Chrysler's recommendations, do the easy work yourself.

PS> Overheating after a an antifreeze change/radiator flushing
means your mechanic didn't purge the system correctly.
Be careful to thoroughly purge the system of air bubbles -
or invest in head gaskets. This is VERY important.

HOWEVER in some engines 5W30 is NOT recommended.
If you have the 2.7 V6 (pre-2005) we STRONGLY recommend synthetic.

25a. What about oil for other engines?

Check your owner's manual and don't rely on mechanics, who often
rely on out of date memories for their information. If you have a
turbo, we strongly recommend synthetic oil. Follow the recommended
oil change intervals. GM says many owners do not need to change
oil until 10,000 miles! But follow the book, not the 3/3,000
mentality.

26. What kind of engine do I have ???

Raise the hood and check the emissions sticker. You can decode your
vehicle ID number (VIN) using most car manuals. The emissions sticker
will tell you the displacement of the engine.

27. What is a Mopar? Do I have one?

Mopar is slang for a Chrysler-produced car. Some extend it to AMCs
and to MMC products (e.g. Colt) sold by DC; and some restrict it to
high performance only. It is the name of Chrysler's parts division.
Mopar stands for MOtor PARts. MoPar is a registered trademark.

28. Which are the Diamond Star models?

Diamond Star models are those built by the Diamond Star (DSM)
plant in Illinois. This was a joint venture but is now 100%
MMC. The Stratus/Sebring/Avenger Coupes and Eclipse are
the only DSM models. The Stealth used some Chrysler technology
but was mostly Mitsubishi - and was all Japanese. The Colt,
Sapparo, FWD Challenger, and Ram 50 were re-badged Mitsubishis.

29. What are the K-cars?

Herb DaSilva:
... Chrysler used the components on the Aries/Reliant (K) in many of
its other platforms. These platforms... share similar distance
between the wheels on the same axle, and have the same suspension
design. Most K variants can swap struts (H is an exception).
K derivates include: Laser (pre-88)/Daytona (G), Shadow/Sundance
(P), LeBaron/New Yorker (J), LeBaron sedan (pre-90)/Lancer
(H), Dynasty/New Yorker/Imperial (C), Acclaim/Spirit/LeBaron sedan
(AA). Each derivative has a different wheelbase and floor pan.
First-generation minivans are also loosely based on the K.

These cars are collectively referred to as EEKs.

30. How do I find the fault codes stored in my engine computer?

See Part 3 of this FAQ.

32. How often should I change my trans fluid?

Check your service manual. The severe service definition means that
the vehicle is operated *primarily* in one of those conditions.

MODERN TRANSMISSIONS WILL BE DESTROYED
IF YOU USE THE WRONG FLUID.
See http://www.allpar.com/fix/trans.html

Even some 3-speed DC transmissions are NOT compatible
with Dexron - read your manual !!!

34. What kind of gas should I use?

Use the octane level your owner's manual recommends and the brand
you have had good luck with. If your engine knocks adjust the timing.

35. No longer relevant; deleted.

36. What about lemons?

To quote the rec.autos FAQ --
every auto manufacturer has manufactured a lemon or two; even Honda
admits to this. Please don't waste everyone's time by announcing to
the world that your `brand x' automobile is terrible, so
all brand x automobiles are terrible, so no one should ever buy a
car from the brand x company. Such articles are worse than
useless, because they cause wasted bandwidth while carrying little
or no useful information.

37. Are K&N filters worth it?

David Cooley reported on a magazine test of aftermarket air filters.
The paper filters were respectable, but the K&N and Accell filters
flowed almost 3 times as much air when dirty as clean paper filters
of the same size. The K&N passed less particulate matter than the
paper filter; as it got dirtier outside, they sprayed on a new coat
of oil (without cleaning) and found it filtered even better.

K&N filters change your engine sound, rarely need replacement,
and flow better when dirty. Other than that, you may not notice much
difference unless you have a high-efficiency exhaust and performance
engine. There has been debate over the actual filtering ability of
these filters; the power boost on TBI cars is negligible.
So. . .probably not.

38. Is there anything special I should do if I have ABS?

Marv Miller suggests replacing brake fluid every 2-4 years
regardless of car make.
Use only the brake fluid the car maker recommends!!! Fully
depressurize the system before adding or changing brake fluids.
Note - ABS is now far more reliable than it used to be.
The primary source of failure is dirt in the sensors, which can
easily be cleaned.

39. What kind of transmission fluid should I use? Is Dexron OK?

Use ONLY what it says in your owner's manual to use. Many Chrysler
transmissions are NOT compatible with standard fluid! ATF+3
is usually the best one to use with automatic transmissions before
2001, ATF+4 after.

THIS IS AN IMPORTANT and very misunderstood issue.

You should really visit http://www.allpar.com/fix/trans.html if you have
a four-speed or five-speed Chrysler automatic. Even most three-speed
automatics are required to use ATF+4.

40. Are Chrysler transmissions still junk?

Not if you use the right transmission fluid. By the way,
the 545 is actually based on the old, reliable 727.
See #39 and Part 2 of the FAQ.

41. Do I have one of those evil ABS systems I heard about?

These had the Bendix ABS-10: (Thanks, G. Smith)
1990-93 C body (Dynasty/New Yorker)
1990-93 Y body (Imperial)
1991-92 BB body (Premier/Monaco - Renault imports)
1991-93 S body (Minivans - Caravan/Voyager)
Chrysler extended the warranty to 100,000 miles
At some point soon we have to remove this section...

42. Aren't Chryslers junk? / Has Mercedes improved Chrysler quality?

Chrysler was working on quality before the takeover, yielding the
PT Cruiser - which is beating the Honda Civic on quality
surveys - and the Jeep Liberty, which is also doing very well. Chrysler
has been making great strides in quality. Mercedes, if anything,
damaged those efforts by emphasizing an "expert" approach rather than a
Toyota-style inclusive/participatory approach to quality.

Look at Mercedes' quality reports, then at Chrysler's. Generally,
Chrysler quality TROUNCES Mercedes. So how is Mercedes helping?

Useful article:

http://qualitydigest.com/QDarticles/...cesstype&-Find

43. Engine sludge - what's the deal?

Early 2.7 liter engines in some models had a more than normal
occurence of oil degredation resulting in a thick substance
called "sludge" which can cause major engine damage. This problem
also afflected some Toyotas, Hondas, and other makes. If you have a
2.7 made before 2004, you may want to use synthetic oil (which can
also lengthen your oil change intervals). This is rare but nasty.

86. All other questions.

Check the computer codes or replace the ballast resistor.

******************* UP AND COMING ******************

This section has been replaced by http://www.allpar.com/news/
and http://www.allpar.com/model/upcoming.html

*********************** AUTOMATIC TRANS FLUID **********************

The FAQ maintainer notes that many people have destroyed their
transmissions by using the wrong fluid.
Some people have had bad transmission problems go away
when they changed the fluid. Follow Chrysler's recommendations.
Ignore the alternative fluid (as in "if Mopar is unavailable, use...").

See http://www.allpar.com/fix/trans.html for details.

Note that this is also true of Toyotas (as per http://www.toyoland.com )

*********************** NEWSGROUP CHARTER ***********
(This section never changes. The newsgroup was created around 1994.)

- The Newsgroup Rec.Autos.Makers.Chrysler -- CHARTER

COVERAGE. Rec.autos.makers.chrysler was set up to cover issues related
to cars and trucks made by Dodge, Plymouth, Chrysler, Fargo, DeSoto,
Jeep, Eagle, and all other makes sold or marketed by Chrysler Corp.

BEHAVIOR. Political comments and commercial advertising will be
discouraged. However, *short* product announcements, preferably
restricted to the name, availability, and a very brief description of
the product's function (where applicable) are acceptable.

Discussion of whether Chrysler products are of good or bad quality,
lengthy comparisons to Hondas or other cars, and similar arguments and
flamewars with no foreseeable conclusion are heavily discouraged.
Participants are asked to be kind, considerate, and supportive, and to
generally keep an open, warm atmosphere so that the function of this
newsgroup may be maintained.

RATIONALE. This group is proposed to help Chrysler (CC) vehicle owners
to support each other, save money, and maximize enjoyment of their autos.

As in rec.autos.vw, Chrysler owners need a forum where they feel
unreservedly welcomed, and where they can obtain esoteric information
from involved people with similar experiences and vehicles.

This newsgroup should be general enough for those who know little about
cars to get a broad range of information and advise from, while allowing
those more into the products to exchange their views and advice.

In a world dominated by GM, Ford, and VW (Europe) products, Chrysler
owners often find discussions difficult. Most aftermarket parts and
advice are for GM and Ford owners; knowledge about Chrysler is hard to
find. The press don't cover CC as well as they could -- and CC's
dissemination of information to the press and the public is poor.

Chrysler products have quirks which most mechanics don't seem to be
aware of, leading them to replace transmissions when the fault is in a
20 cent vacuum hose, or to replace the engine computer instead of
plugging in a hose or changing a sensor. Chryslers are often seen as
ordinary American cars (unlike makes which many mechanics will admit
they are not familiar with) -- but what will work on a GM or Ford will
often not work on a Dodge. There is a vast ocean of experience in
Chrysler products out on the Internet which may help owners to save
time, money, and trouble.

CC vehicles are common enough, yet idiosyncratic enough, to deserve
their own place in the Net hierarchy -- just as Volkswagens are. In
addition, it is important for CC vehicle owners to have a place to
discuss the problems and benefits of ownership, to exchange detailed
information and personal experiences, in a supportive and positive
atmosphere. In short, I hope to develop a group as vibrant and helpful
as the Mopar mailing list or the rec.autos.VW group have been, while
making this group accessible to all Dodge, Plymouth, Jeep, Eagle, and
Chrysler owners, even those who don't know what a Mopar is.

Hard to keep up to date due to reshuffles. Write to:
DaimlerChrysler, 1000 Chrysler Drive, Auburn Hills, MI 48326-2766
Your letter will go to customer service pretty much regardless of
who you write to anyway.

FAQ maintained by David Zatz who works at http://www.toolpack.com/

(end of FAQ part 1)