E65 / E66 Sat Nav.... speed camera detection

Old February 5th 05, 05:17 PM
Paul Aspinall

Default E65 / E66 Sat Nav.... speed camera detection

Hi
Does anyone know if there are plans for the BMW sat nav system to alert to
speed camera locations??

There is an abundance of systems which alert drivers to speed camera
locations, from PDA / IPAQ systems, to dedicated Sat Nav systems.

It seems strange that this functionality does not exist on the top of the
line BMW Sat Nav system.

Paul
'2002 745Li
'2000 740i Sport
'98 740i Sport

Old February 6th 05, 11:12 AM
John Burns

> If you're going so far over the speed limit that you can't SEE the speed
> camera before it takes your photo then you deserve a ticket...

Where I live some of them are hidden behind road signs.

Email: , John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web :
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
Old February 6th 05, 05:13 PM
Paul Aspinall

Agreed John,

They are hidden near me also.

I think its a little naff having an E66, but with an IPAQ to warn me of
speed camera locations etc....

I know the RAC have a similar system available in their Trackstar vehcile
tracking system. It would just be nice to have all this stuff as factory
options...

Cheers

Old February 6th 05, 07:20 PM
Steve Parry

Paul Martin fumbled, fiddled and fingered:

> If you're going so far over the speed limit that you can't SEE the
> speed camera before it takes your photo then you deserve a ticket...

Take a look at

http://www.abd.org.uk/local/north_wales_cameras.htm

and scroll down to Greenfield

Now rethink your statement 'cos the camera is unseen at any speed until
you're on it.

--
Steve Parry
K100RS SE & F650

(not forgetting the SK90PY)

http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

Old February 7th 05, 01:56 AM
Andrew Thomas

Paul Martin wrote:
> Hmmm...

> Speed camera detectors are illegal where I live - and so they should

be.
> What's the point of that?

He is talking about overlaid GPS waypoints, not a laser/radar-based
camera detector. The two are quite different. It cannot be possible
for a device which tells you information that is in the public domain
(i.e. the position of fixed speed cameras) to be illegal - not in a
stable democratic country, anyway. The morality of a detector for
mobile cameras is open to debate. Personally I like the idea, since I
don't like being criminalised when gangs of chavs, thugs and scum roam
the streets where *I* live committing crimes willy-nilly whilst the
police are out terrorising motorists doing 35 in a 30. (I tink you
have to live in the UK and put up with the crime here before you can
pass judgment on this one!) Perhaps if crime and thuggery was given
more attention by the government, we would be more likely to toe the
line, and forego the capital outlay on a detector. As it is, it's open
season.

> Should we point out the location of random breath testing locations

for
> drunk drivers as well?

I won't enter into a debate about whether drink-driving is worse than
"speeding", except to say that the first is always bad, and the second
is often bad only when dictated by the State, and not common sense.
(There are clearly times when you don't need a politician or a copper
to tell you that excessive speed in some circumstances is stupid.)

> I will tell you with certainty that BMW will never incorporate such a

system
> in to their OEM navigation systems. They are not that stupid.

But several GPS device manufacturers *are* stupid enough to make
devices with updated databases of fixed speed camera locations, and
they sell very well. Naturally BMW won't do this from the factory, but
all it is is a table of waypoints...

Revenue enhancing speed limits. Bill the second Driving 1 February 1st 05 10:52 PM
What GPS-based speed camera detector also detects red lightcam... Joanny Smith BMW 1 January 9th 05 09:24 PM
Co must be full of 'em Brent P Driving 58 December 26th 04 10:45 PM
UK Speed Camera Nav Overlay BluDog BMW 0 October 25th 04 11:03 AM
Speed governor question Alex Rodriguez Honda 3 October 5th 04 04:12 AM