'94 Civic front door checker

Old February 18th 06, 06:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default '94 Civic front door checker

We had a pretty good windstorm here the other day and the wind ripped
my door right out of my hands and damn near off the car. It snapped the
door checker (the little rod that connects the door to the jamb and
prevents it from falling closed or flapping around) right in half. My
question is do I need to disassemble the door to replace this or can I
just unbolt it from the outside and bolt on a new one? I realize if I
do this there will probably be parts of the old one still floating
around inside the door but I can live with that.

Looking on the parts diagram, it looks like I only need the checker
itself and a new pin to attach it to the jamb. Is this right?

Thanks for any help,

Isaac

Old February 18th 06, 07:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Isaac wrote:

> We had a pretty good windstorm here the other day and the wind ripped
> my door right out of my hands and damn near off the car. It snapped the
> door checker (the little rod that connects the door to the jamb and
> prevents it from falling closed or flapping around) right in half. My
> question is do I need to disassemble the door to replace this or can I
> just unbolt it from the outside and bolt on a new one? I realize if I
> do this there will probably be parts of the old one still floating
> around inside the door but I can live with that.
>
> Looking on the parts diagram, it looks like I only need the checker
> itself and a new pin to attach it to the jamb. Is this right?
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> Isaac

---------------------------

Look here to see if the parts diagram has better detail than the one you
have:

http://www.slhondaparts.com look in body / air conditioning (door
panel). Look on yours to see how it mounts. Should be 10 mm bolts, i
think.

Maybe go to a wrecker and find the same series and take it off.

'Curly'
Old February 18th 06, 07:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

It appears to just be two bolts but I'd hate to unbolt those and
discover it's attached somehow inside the door panel. From what I can
tell from the diagrams, though, it's its own unit. I'll give the
wrecker a call and see what they've got for me.

When I go to replace the pin, how do you make it stay in? Do you need
to flare the ends somehow?

Cheers,

Isaac