Is Rabbit = Mk I Golf ?

Old December 21st 04, 06:37 AM
Mr. Correct

Default Is Rabbit = Mk I Golf ?

Please help aleviate my confusion and/or ignorance.

Is Rabbit = Mk I Golf ?
Are Rabbit years 1975 thru 83?
Do all Rabbits have sunroofs ? (I hate sunroofs)
Do all Rabbits have mechanical fuel injection ?
Do any Rabbits have brains ? (If no EFI then no brain ?)
Are all gas Rabbits either 1100cc or 1600cc ?
Are all manual Rabbits 4 speed ?
Is there such a thing as a 'GTI Rabbit' ?
- if so, is a GTI Rabbit rightly called a 'Rabbit' ?
Does all years of Rabbits come with both manual and automatic ?
Is Rabbit automatic like 'electric shift' on a Bug ?
GOLF derives from german for 'Gulfstream' . Jetta derives from ???
(jetstream?)
Does the name 'Scirocco' derive from some something?
Is a Dasher aircooled or water cooled?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Bill S. - in Seattle, WA, USA

Old December 21st 04, 07:08 AM
Matt B.

"Mr. Correct" > wrote in message
> Please help aleviate my confusion and/or ignorance.
>
> Is Rabbit = Mk I Golf ?

Yes

> Are Rabbit years 1975 thru 83?

Through 1984 actually. And convertibles continued under a couple of other
names ("Cabriolet" in the US and "Golf Cabriolet" in Canada) through 1993.

> Do all Rabbits have sunroofs ? (I hate sunroofs)

No

> Do all Rabbits have mechanical fuel injection ?

No but it's only the earliest ones that were carbed. Not sure what year
they went FI but I'd guess 1975-1976 are probably carbed and '77-up are FI.
Just a guess though.

> Do any Rabbits have brains ? (If no EFI then no brain ?)

Not sure on that one. Pretty sure it's "no" but still a guess.

> Are all gas Rabbits either 1100cc or 1600cc ?

No 1100s in the US and since the Rabbit name was used in the US and Canada,
I'm gonna say therefore we never got a 1100 and I don't believe Canada did
either. We got 1.5L, 1.6L, 1.7L (I think the 1.7s started around 1981 or
1982 and the earlier cars are 1.5 and 1.6) and 1.8L (Rabbit GTI, 1983/1984).
Canada got a few GTIs in the late 1970s (1979 I think) before the US did and
they were 1.6L models and fuel injected (similar to the German versions of
the era).

> Are all manual Rabbits 4 speed ?

GTIs are 5-speed and I believe many of the 1.7s are also 5-speed. Not sure
about the 1.5s and 1.6s but they're probably 4-speed.

> Is there such a thing as a 'GTI Rabbit' ?

Yes. Well, "Rabbit GTI".

> - if so, is a GTI Rabbit rightly called a 'Rabbit' ?

It's a Rabbit with a more powerful engine, sports suspension, better brakes,
sport interior. As the overseas cars were Golfs and Golfs GTIs, ours were
Rabbits and Rabbit GTIs.

> Does all years of Rabbits come with both manual and automatic ?

Yes but not all trim levels (no Rabbit GTIs were autos, for example).

> Is Rabbit automatic like 'electric shift' on a Bug ?

No it's a more typical/traditional 3-speed automatic (e.g.: PRND21)

> GOLF derives from german for 'Gulfstream' . Jetta derives from ???

Jettastrom

> (jetstream?)

Yes

> Does the name 'Scirocco' derive from some something?

A desert wind.

> Is a Dasher aircooled or water cooled?

Water, engines similar to Rabbit except do 1.8L, and Dashers were available
here from 1974-1981. The Dasher was really the 1st generation Passat and
VWoA as usual back then liked to rename things. It's also the same platform
as the Audi Fox (Audi 80 overseas) of 1974-1980, the wagon bodies are shared
between VW and Audi with only minor front end styling differences (grille,
lamps) and the other bodystyles were sedans (Audi) and hatchbacks (VW).

> Your help is greatly appreciated.

your questions are much enjoyed

> Bill S. - in Seattle, WA, USA

Matt B. in San Diego, CA, USA

Old December 21st 04, 07:08 AM
Matt B.

"Mr. Correct" > wrote in message
> Please help aleviate my confusion and/or ignorance.
>
> Is Rabbit = Mk I Golf ?

Yes

> Are Rabbit years 1975 thru 83?

Through 1984 actually. And convertibles continued under a couple of other
names ("Cabriolet" in the US and "Golf Cabriolet" in Canada) through 1993.

> Do all Rabbits have sunroofs ? (I hate sunroofs)

No

> Do all Rabbits have mechanical fuel injection ?

No but it's only the earliest ones that were carbed. Not sure what year
they went FI but I'd guess 1975-1976 are probably carbed and '77-up are FI.
Just a guess though.

> Do any Rabbits have brains ? (If no EFI then no brain ?)

Not sure on that one. Pretty sure it's "no" but still a guess.

> Are all gas Rabbits either 1100cc or 1600cc ?

No 1100s in the US and since the Rabbit name was used in the US and Canada,
I'm gonna say therefore we never got a 1100 and I don't believe Canada did
either. We got 1.5L, 1.6L, 1.7L (I think the 1.7s started around 1981 or
1982 and the earlier cars are 1.5 and 1.6) and 1.8L (Rabbit GTI, 1983/1984).
Canada got a few GTIs in the late 1970s (1979 I think) before the US did and
they were 1.6L models and fuel injected (similar to the German versions of
the era).

> Are all manual Rabbits 4 speed ?

GTIs are 5-speed and I believe many of the 1.7s are also 5-speed. Not sure
about the 1.5s and 1.6s but they're probably 4-speed.

> Is there such a thing as a 'GTI Rabbit' ?

Yes. Well, "Rabbit GTI".

> - if so, is a GTI Rabbit rightly called a 'Rabbit' ?

It's a Rabbit with a more powerful engine, sports suspension, better brakes,
sport interior. As the overseas cars were Golfs and Golfs GTIs, ours were
Rabbits and Rabbit GTIs.

> Does all years of Rabbits come with both manual and automatic ?

Yes but not all trim levels (no Rabbit GTIs were autos, for example).

> Is Rabbit automatic like 'electric shift' on a Bug ?

No it's a more typical/traditional 3-speed automatic (e.g.: PRND21)

> GOLF derives from german for 'Gulfstream' . Jetta derives from ???

Jettastrom

> (jetstream?)

Yes

> Does the name 'Scirocco' derive from some something?

A desert wind.

> Is a Dasher aircooled or water cooled?

Water, engines similar to Rabbit except do 1.8L, and Dashers were available
here from 1974-1981. The Dasher was really the 1st generation Passat and
VWoA as usual back then liked to rename things. It's also the same platform
as the Audi Fox (Audi 80 overseas) of 1974-1980, the wagon bodies are shared
between VW and Audi with only minor front end styling differences (grille,
lamps) and the other bodystyles were sedans (Audi) and hatchbacks (VW).

> Your help is greatly appreciated.

your questions are much enjoyed

> Bill S. - in Seattle, WA, USA

Matt B. in San Diego, CA, USA

Old December 21st 04, 01:17 PM
Robert Kidd

In article <v3Qxd.11965$ry.9368@fed1read01>,
"Matt B." > wrote:

> "Mr. Correct" > wrote in message
> > Do all Rabbits have mechanical fuel injection ?

> No but it's only the earliest ones that were carbed. Not sure what year
> they went FI but I'd guess 1975-1976 are probably carbed and '77-up are FI.
> Just a guess though.

I believe you could get a carb through 84.

> > Do any Rabbits have brains ? (If no EFI then no brain ?)

> Not sure on that one. Pretty sure it's "no" but still a guess.

Cars with CIS-lambda have an ECU. I don't believe it does a whole lot.

> > Is a Dasher aircooled or water cooled?

> Water, engines similar to Rabbit except do 1.8L, and Dashers were available
> here from 1974-1981. The Dasher was really the 1st generation Passat and
> VWoA as usual back then liked to rename things. It's also the same platform
> as the Audi Fox (Audi 80 overseas) of 1974-1980, the wagon bodies are shared
> between VW and Audi with only minor front end styling differences (grille,
> lamps) and the other bodystyles were sedans (Audi) and hatchbacks (VW).

Just to pick a nit, Dashers were fastbacks, not necessarily hatchbacks.
Dasher sedans look identical to the hatchbacks with the exception of the
trunklid seam.

Interestingly enough, the Dasher has a close relative that is air
cooled. The Brazilian Gol (later sold with a trunk as the VW Fox in the
US) was initially available with an air cooled engine.

Robert
Old December 21st 04, 01:17 PM
Robert Kidd

Old December 21st 04, 02:40 PM
Nate Nagel

Mr. Correct wrote:

> Please help aleviate my confusion and/or ignorance.
>
> Is Rabbit = Mk I Golf ?

yes

> Are Rabbit years 1975 thru 83?

'84 (cabriolet kept on going for a few years)

> Do all Rabbits have sunroofs ? (I hate sunroofs)

no

> Do all Rabbits have mechanical fuel injection ?

no, some had carbs

> Do any Rabbits have brains ? (If no EFI then no brain ?)

maybe cabbys but other than that no

> Are all gas Rabbits either 1100cc or 1600cc ?

GTI was 1800cc here in the Yoo Ess. I've never seen a 1100.

> Are all manual Rabbits 4 speed ?

no

> Is there such a thing as a 'GTI Rabbit' ?
> - if so, is a GTI Rabbit rightly called a 'Rabbit' ?

yes and yes, it is badged as a "Rabbit GTI"

> Does all years of Rabbits come with both manual and automatic ?

not sure

> Is Rabbit automatic like 'electric shift' on a Bug ?

No, it is a conventional auto transaxle

> GOLF derives from german for 'Gulfstream' . Jetta derives from ???
> (jetstream?)
> Does the name 'Scirocco' derive from some something?

yes. it is some sort of desert wind. (the car is based on the Rabbit
chassis)

> Is a Dasher aircooled or water cooled?

water

HTH

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old December 21st 04, 02:40 PM
Nate Nagel

Mr. Correct wrote:

> Please help aleviate my confusion and/or ignorance.
>
> Is Rabbit = Mk I Golf ?

yes

Old December 21st 04, 04:02 PM
Matt B.

"Robert Kidd" > wrote in message
> In article <v3Qxd.11965$ry.9368@fed1read01>,
> I believe you could get a carb through 84.

Yep...now that you mention it, I recall that. The lowest models were still
carbed.

> Just to pick a nit, Dashers were fastbacks, not necessarily hatchbacks.
> Dasher sedans look identical to the hatchbacks with the exception of the
> trunklid seam.

So there were Dashers that weren't hatchbacks? hmmm... was that all years?

Old December 21st 04, 04:02 PM
Matt B.

Old December 22nd 04, 01:30 AM
Robert Kidd

In article <AOXxd.11984$ry.5641@fed1read01>,
"Matt B." > wrote:

> "Robert Kidd" > wrote in message
> > In article <v3Qxd.11965$ry.9368@fed1read01>,
> > I believe you could get a carb through 84.

> Yep...now that you mention it, I recall that. The lowest models were still
> carbed.
>
> > Just to pick a nit, Dashers were fastbacks, not necessarily hatchbacks.
> > Dasher sedans look identical to the hatchbacks with the exception of the
> > trunklid seam.

> So there were Dashers that weren't hatchbacks? hmmm... was that all years?

Yeah. They had the same fastback shape, but the rear glass didn't lift.
Here's a pictu

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...galeria/silas0
3.jpg

I don't know if the sedan survived the 78 facelift. I don't recall
seeing a picture of a post 78 sedan, at any rate.

Robert