Power Adding Steps

Old February 21st 05, 10:06 PM

Default Power Adding Steps

I wrote previously about exhaust opinions for my girlfriend's '04 GT
and I thank all of you for your suggestions. Now that she knows what
kind of exhaust she wants my girlfriend would like to have more horse
power. I have no experience with late model Mustangs since I have a '65
fastback so thats why I am asking for some power adding suggestions. My
girlfriend isn't rich so a mod here and there every few months would be
fine. So what should we look at doing after installing a cat back
exhaust? Also, is the Triax shifter better than the Hurst shifter for
the Mustang? I have a Husrt in my Ranger and its a vast improvement
over the stock shifter. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Michael

Old February 21st 05, 10:17 PM
Gumby

All the cheap bolt on mods from the past are now pretty much factory
standard. You can spend a couple of thousand dollars for a few upgrades, but
will probably not get more than 40-50hp more unless you start spending big
bucks i.e. super charger. Rear end gears is your best bet for now. I would
go for 3.55 or 3.73 ratio.

Gumby
'04GT

ups.com...

Old February 21st 05, 10:33 PM
Erik D.

Gumby wrote:
> All the cheap bolt on mods from the past are now pretty much factory
> standard. You can spend a couple of thousand dollars for a few upgrades, but
> will probably not get more than 40-50hp more unless you start spending big
> bucks i.e. super charger. Rear end gears is your best bet for now. I would
> go for 3.55 or 3.73 ratio.
>
> Gumby
> '04GT

....Or 4.10 I have 4.10's in my car and I kinda like it. If I was
buying I would have went with 3.73's but only because I had never driven
a car with 4.10's. Now that I have 4.10's I think its the best gear out
there for out of the whole performance. Oh, and I drive about 750-1500
miles per week, so there are really no driveability issues with the
4.10s. Gas mileage is actually better in the city but worse on the
highway, most of my driving is city driving though. I get 18 in the
city and about 23-24 on the highway I think from what I have
seen(haven't been on a long trip in it yet). As far as shifters, I had
a triax in my '93 mustang and I loved it. I'll be making the purchase
for one of them soon.
Erik D.
'94 white lightning
'01 white GT

Old February 21st 05, 11:02 PM
Gumby

I guess everyone has their own preference, but 1st gear with 4.10's would
drive me crazy for normal street driving. I might as well start in 2nd.
Gumby
'04GT

Old February 21st 05, 11:07 PM
Erik D.

Gumby wrote:
> I guess everyone has their own preference, but 1st gear with 4.10's would
> drive me crazy for normal street driving. I might as well start in 2nd.
> Gumby
> '04GT

Yeah thats definitely the truth. I hardly ever use 1st. I can start in
second and spin the stock tires easily without giving it any extra revs.
I only use 1st when I want to have fun or if I am at the track.
Erik D.
'94 white lightning
'01 white GT

Old February 22nd 05, 01:17 AM

You have a diff. tranny than mine.. so get 4.10:1 rear-end gears. Motive
gears are quite nice I hear. A buddy of mine uses them & they have lasted a
couple years so far w/ no issues at all. http://www.MustangTuning.com/ has
the best prices that I've seen & I've done a lot of research. If you had my
car.. I'd say 3.73's simply due to the damn high RPM's that 4.10's make you
run even when cruising.

Other than that.... do something with the suspension. A set of subframe
connectors works wonders & it's there whether you're on the gas or not.
Great mod. Steeda Tri-Ax short throw shifter is awesome too.

-Mike

--
A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT
Cold air intake

ups.com...

Old February 23rd 05, 07:56 PM
ironrod

As all the other posters have pointed out there isn't much you can do to the
stock engine to bump up the power without going through some radical
re-design. Handling, however, is a different story. Subframe conectors,
shock tower braces, castor camber plates, brakes ect. When your done it's
like driving a whole new car.

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> I wrote previously about exhaust opinions for my girlfriend's '04 GT
> and I thank all of you for your suggestions. Now that she knows what
> kind of exhaust she wants my girlfriend would like to have more horse
> power. I have no experience with late model Mustangs since I have a '65
> fastback so thats why I am asking for some power adding suggestions. My
> girlfriend isn't rich so a mod here and there every few months would be
> fine. So what should we look at doing after installing a cat back
> exhaust? Also, is the Triax shifter better than the Hurst shifter for
> the Mustang? I have a Husrt in my Ranger and its a vast improvement
> over the stock shifter. Any suggestions would be helpful.
>
> Michael

rec.autos.makers.chrysler FAQ, Part 1/6 Dr. David Zatz Chrysler 3 February 18th 05 05:34 AM
eScrew OWNS YOU!!! [email protected] VW air cooled 4 December 21st 04 01:06 AM
eScrew OWNS YOU!!! [email protected] Ford Mustang 0 December 20th 04 10:19 AM
es [email protected] Chrysler 0 December 20th 04 10:16 AM
rec.autos.makers.chrysler FAQ, Part 1/6 Dr. David Zatz Chrysler 10 December 2nd 04 05:19 AM