Relocate distributor condenser

Old July 15th 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
luftgekuhlten

Default Relocate distributor condenser

> What about a Compufire or Pertronix and get rid of a condensor all together?

>> I went back to points / condenser in order for the CDI system to
>> workproperly.

It is a Universal CDI. The engine would not run with the CDI connected,
but would when returned to stock. Universal checked the CDI unit and
could find nothing wrong. Their tech person suggested that I go back to
points/condenser. And since then it has worked fine (an operational CDI
on our trusty four bangers makes a noticable difference).

Old July 15th 06, 08:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Berg[_1_]

luftgekuhlten wrote:
>> What about a Compufire or Pertronix and get rid of a condensor all together?

>>> I went back to points / condenser in order for the CDI system to
>>> workproperly.

> It is a Universal CDI. The engine would not run with the CDI connected,
> but would when returned to stock. Universal checked the CDI unit and
> could find nothing wrong. Their tech person suggested that I go back to
> points/condenser. And since then it has worked fine (an operational CDI
> on our trusty four bangers makes a noticable difference).

Mine is also made by Universial industries, bought from
www.Aircooled.net , and it works fine with the Pertronix module.
And yes, it has a very noticeable effect, specially on startups.

J.
Old July 15th 06, 10:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Anthony W

Can you use a MSD ignition with a breaker points dizzy? I have a MSD
ignition I bought for another project car that I ended up selling before
it was finished.

Tony
Old July 18th 06, 08:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Postman's Holiday

> Can you use a MSD ignition with a breaker points dizzy? I
> have a MSD ignition I bought for another project car that I
> ended up selling before it was finished.

Very possibly. What specific MSD ignition do you have? And do you
have the wiring diagram?

Old July 18th 06, 10:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Anthony W

Postman's Holiday wrote:
>> Can you use a MSD ignition with a breaker points dizzy? I
>> have a MSD ignition I bought for another project car that I
>> ended up selling before it was finished.

> Very possibly. What specific MSD ignition do you have? And do you
> have the wiring diagram?

I have a MSD 6A and I can't find the instructions. I need to contact
MSD for replacement instructions. I originally was going to use it on a
Z-car but I sold it last year.

It will trigger off a magnetic pickup distributor and I was considering
picking up one of the compatible Toyota distributors and trading with a
friend to get the modifications done. Right now I'm running a crappy
009 and I can hardly wait to swap it out but I've spent to much on other
stuff to buy something else at the moment.

Tony
Old July 19th 06, 12:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Postman's Holiday

> I have a MSD 6A and I can't find the instructions. I need to contact
> MSD for replacement instructions. I originally was going to use it
> on a Z-car but I sold it last year.

You may find the information you need at:
http://www.msdignition.com/pdf/6%20series/6series.pdf

> It will trigger off a magnetic pickup distributor and I was considering
> picking up one of the compatible Toyota distributors and trading with a
> friend to get the modifications done. Right now I'm running a crappy
> 009 and I can hardly wait to swap it out but I've spent to much on other
> stuff to buy something else at the moment.

The information suggests that the MSD 6A should work.