Oil-filter removal (2004 Jeep Liberty)

Old August 28th 06, 01:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
merrill[_1_]

Default Oil-filter removal (2004 Jeep Liberty)

wrote:
> The last time I replaced the oil filter, I left the oil-filter cap on
> the fluted end of the filter. Now, the oil-filter cap just spins on the
> filter. I've gotten the cap off but the fluted "corners" of the filter
> have been rounded off so I don't think I can use a new cap. How can I
> unscrew the filter? Is there another tool that I can use to grab onto
> the filter?

I'm not sure how it could ever be that tight. I always do my own oil
changes. I put a drop of oil on the filter rubber gasket and tighten it
as snug as possible with one hand. I rarely need to use 2 hands to
remove it.

I have a good selection of filter wrenches because every vehicle I buy
seems to require one for the first oil change. My favourites are the
fluted cup (fits my 1/2 inch drive bar) and the floppy closed pliers. I
haven't used the GBF screwdriver in many years.

Merrill

Old August 28th 06, 02:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
[email protected]

The first time I tried to change the oil-filter on my new Jeep Liberty,
I couldn't get the oil-filter off so, after struggling with it for
hours (it seemed), I ended up taking it to a lube place. (I suspect
that the oil-filter was installed dry at the factory).

I did the next oil-filter change. I oiled the rubber gasket and
screwed the filter until it was snug then turned it another 1/8 to 1/4
turn.

That was only about 3,000 miles ago and 9 months ago -- I only put less
than 6,000 miles on my Liberty in a year -- so I don't know why it's so
darn hard now.

P.S. What are "floppy closed pliers". Can you find a picture of one and
send me the URL?

Thx, Gary

Old August 28th 06, 02:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Ok... what is an 'oil filter cap' and why would you leave it on a
filter?

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old August 28th 06, 03:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
[email protected]

An oil-filter cap (or cup) fits snuggly over the fluted-end of the
oil-filter. For a pic, see:

http://www.toolweb.com/euitemlist.cf...subcatID=44344

The cap has a square hole so a 3/8" socket extension-bar can be used to
remove and install the filter.

I left the cap on the filter because I knew I'd need it for the next
oil-filter change and I didn't want to go hunting for it in my garage.

Old August 28th 06, 03:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Ok, so you left the removal tool in place and it destroyed the oil
filter if I am reading this right? You are extremely lucky it didn't
wear through allowing all your oil to puke out. I have seen too many
dead engines from things like that. Even happened to me, by the time
the oil light came on from a head that came loose opening an oil passage
on a flat 4 during a highway trip, the engine was fried. (the
$tealership actually screwed that one up)

I think the tool is now likely damaged as well so I think I would just
glue the sucker back onto the filter and remove it that way. JB weld
or some other epoxy comes to mind.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old August 28th 06, 03:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
[email protected]

The removal tool did NOT destroy the oil filter; it just rounded-off
the flutes on the filter.

Now, I need to find something that will grab onto the filter so it can
be unscrewed.

Old August 28th 06, 04:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Do you realize how thin the oil filter metal is? Mine rubbed on the
engine mount once and blew/wore a hole through it very fast. It wore out
the crease on a flute. Rounding the flutes wore on the flute crease
marks also. I still figure you were lucky....

So what about just gluing the tool back onto the filter???? Like I
said, the tool is also likely worn so it wouldn't be good to use again
anyway.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old August 28th 06, 05:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_1_]

Mike,

What he is not saying here, is whether he used the "oil filter removal tool"
to install the filter, that now won't come off. I am betting that he did.
Spin-on oil filters are designed to be installed by hand.

I don't care how tight this filter is. None of them will resist big
channel-locking pliers or a pipe wrench for long.

Earle

Old August 28th 06, 06:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

I caught that to Earle. He actually 'does' say he used it to put the
filter on in one post.

I'll be he just uses his hand next time....

Mike

Old August 28th 06, 06:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
[email protected]

I had to use the "removal" tool to install the oil filter because it's
hard to squeeze one's arm between the fan-shroud and the tie-rod, reach
the oil filter and screw it on -- there's just not enough room to work
in. Anyway, I turned the "removal" tool just enough to result in an
"hand-tight" fit.

Jeep Liberty Renegade Feedback Needed. Loner Jeep 3 August 4th 06 05:25 PM
Jeep news from Chrysler Scott in Baltimore Jeep 20 June 28th 06 01:15 AM
New 2004 Jeep Liberty Sport Florence Oregon $21,995 [email protected] Chrysler 0 April 15th 05 01:33 AM
bestop Jeep give away 2004 Rusted Jeep 1 March 9th 05 07:41 AM
REAL air filter testing. More proof that K&N is junk. Steve W. 4x4 25 January 12th 05 01:22 PM