alternator circuit question

Old December 22nd 04, 12:33 AM
Jon G.

This idea of installing an external voltage regulator to bypass
a faulty computer, doesn't work. I put one on and it charged at
14 volts for about a day, then it jumped to 18 volts. I tried a
different brand voltage regulator, and it did the same. The
battery is boiling and smells like sulfur, the high beams went
out, and I'm in the hole for 2 voltage regulators that work like
junk.

I have a 7 watt 1.2 ohm ceramic resistor out of a TV set. It
can only handle 2 amps. If I put it in series between the
regulator and the alternator field, it should drop the voltage
to the field by 3 volts. However, I think I need a heavier duty
resistor.

Jon

Old December 22nd 04, 01:08 AM
Jim Thompson

Jon, Surf back a few weeks, this problem has been addressed recently.

--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Old December 22nd 04, 01:08 AM
Jim Thompson

Old December 22nd 04, 02:06 AM
The Adams Family

How about going to the local salvage yard and buying a used computer instead
of putting yourself through all that other crap?

ink.net...

Old December 22nd 04, 02:06 AM
The Adams Family

How about going to the local salvage yard and buying a used computer instead
of putting yourself through all that other crap?

ink.net...

Old December 22nd 04, 04:32 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004, Jon G. wrote:

> This idea of installing an external voltage regulator to bypass
> a faulty computer, doesn't work.

Works great if you do it right.

> I put one on and it charged at 14 volts for about a day, then it jumped
> to 18 volts. I tried a different brand voltage regulator, and it did
> the same.

Sounds a lot like you did it wrong. I bet I know exactly which step you
skipped 'cause you figured it was unnecessary. But there's a reason it was
written specifically into the procedure!

> I have a 7 watt 1.2 ohm ceramic resistor out of a TV set.

Quit ****in' around with resistors. Put the external regulator in
correctly and it'll do just fine for you, as it's done just fine for many
others before you and will do fine for many others after you.

Old December 22nd 04, 04:32 AM
Daniel J. Stern

Old December 22nd 04, 04:51 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004, Jon G. wrote:

> This idea of installing an external voltage regulator to bypass
> a faulty computer, doesn't work.

*snip stupid ideas about TV resistors*

It's also quite possible that you installed the external regulators
correctly, but your alternator's rotor is drawing excessive current, which
fried the ECM's voltage regulator and has fried your two externals. Parts
store alternator "testers" are very crude devices. I'd post the rotor
current draw spec, but the manuals are in my office.

DS
Old December 22nd 04, 04:51 AM
Daniel J. Stern

Old December 22nd 04, 06:08 PM
Steve

Jon G. wrote:

> This idea of installing an external voltage regulator to bypass a faulty
> computer, doesn't work. I put one on and it charged at 14 volts for
> about a day, then it jumped to 18 volts.

Of course it WORKS, but only if a bad regulator was the original problem.

You've most likely got a bad alternator rotor (shorting to ground) which
causes an over-charge condition. The regulator is on the GROUND side of
the rotor, so if the rotor is shorted to ground the regulator has
absolutely zero effect on the charge current.