Any L'Cruiser brake gurus about? HZJ75 load balancing +Rear Drums

Old January 5th 06, 10:02 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4,aus.cars.offroad

Default Any L'Cruiser brake gurus about? HZJ75 load balancing +Rear Drums

Back in the 70's on domestic vehicles, they started using a
proportioning valve for the rear brakes on station wagons and pickups at
first.

This valve senses the amount of pressure going to the front and read
brakes and shunts the pressure so the rear shoes will not lock up the
rear wheels. This is a safety thing so the vehicle doesn't have the
rear end trying to pass the front end.

With a vehicle jacked up, the front wheels lock and the rears appear not
to stop. When it is in motion, this changes because it take more
pressure to stop the fronts so the rear sees a lot more too.

Even on gravel or snow the rear wheels are never supposed to lock except
when coming to that last little bit of a hard stop.

I don't know if this answers your question or not.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's