Consumer Reports: GM's Volt 'doesn't really make a lot of sense'

Old March 1st 11, 12:47 PM posted to alt.autos,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech
C. E. White[_2_]

Default Consumer Reports: GM's Volt 'doesn't really make a lot of sense'

Consumer Reports: GM's Volt 'doesn't really make a lot of sense'

David Shepardson / Detroit News Washington Bureau

Washington - Consumer Reports offered a harsh initial review of the
Chevrolet Volt, questioning whether General Motors Co.'s flagship vehicle
makes economic "sense."The extended-range plug-in electric vehicle is on the
cover of the April issue - the influential magazine's annual survey of
vehicles - but the GM vehicle comes in for criticism.

"When you are looking at purely dollars and cents, it doesn't really make a
lot of sense. The Volt isn't particularly efficient as an electric vehicle
and it's not particularly good as a gas vehicle either in terms of fuel
economy," said David Champion, the senior director of Consumer Reports auto
testing center at a meeting with reporters here. "This is going to be a
tough sell to the average consumer."

The magazine said in its testing in Connecticut during a harsh winter, its
Volt is getting 25 to 27 miles on electric power alone.

GM spokesman Greg Martin noted that it's been an extremely harsh winter -
and as a Volt driver he said he's getting 29-33 miles on electric range. But
he noted that in more moderate recent weather, the range jumped to 40 miles
on electric range or higher.

Champion believes a hybrid, such as the Toyota Prius, may make more sense
for some trips.

"If you drive about 70 miles, a Prius will actually get you more miles per
gallon than the Volt does," Champion said.

But GM has noted that most Americans can avoid using gasoline for most
regular commuting with the Volt, while its gasoline engine can allow the
freedom to travel farther, if needed.

The magazine has put about 2,500 miles on its Volt. It paid $48,700,
including a $5,000 markup by a Chevy dealer.

Champion noted the Volt is about twice as expensive as a Prius.

He was said the five hour time to recharge the Volt was "annoying" and was
also critical of the power of the Volt heating system.

"You have seat heaters, which keep your body warm, but your feet get cold
and your hands get cold," Champion said.

Consumer Reports will release a full road test of the Volt later this year
and will update it.

Champion praised the heater on the all-electric Nissan Leaf - which Consumer
Reports borrowed from the Japanese automaker -- but said it also got very
short ranges in very cold weather.

On one commute, his range in a Leaf was at 43 miles when he turned onto an
eight-mile stretch of highway, but it fell from 43 to 16 miles after eight
miles at 70 mph.

"If it keeps on going down at this rate, will I get to work," Champion said.

Champion said in an interview he thinks the Volt "will sell the quantity
that they want to sell to the people that really want it."

Despite his criticism of the Volt, Champion praised its acceleration and
acknowledged that under certain driving cycles, consumers could mostly avoid
using gasoline. The magazine noted the Volt is nicely equipped and has a
"taut yet supple ride."

But he said there are a lot of trade-offs.

"They are going to live with the compromises the vehicle delivers," Champion
said. "When you look at it from a purely logical point of view, it doesn't
make an awful lot of sense."

Before Consumer Reports decides whether to recommend the Volt, it needs data
from at least 100 subscribers who own one, and a year of reliability data.

From The Detroit News:
http://detnews.com/article/20110228/AUTO01/102280401/Consumer-Reports--GM's-Volt-'doesn't-really-make-a-lot-of-sense'

Old March 1st 11, 01:14 PM posted to alt.autos,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech
Jim_Higgins

On 3/1/11 7:47 AM, C. E. White wrote:
> [...]
>
> "If it keeps on going down at this rate, will I get to work," Champion said.
>
> Champion said in an interview he thinks the Volt "will sell the quantity
> that they want to sell to the people that really want it."
>
> Despite his criticism of the Volt, Champion praised its acceleration and
> acknowledged that under certain driving cycles, consumers could mostly avoid
> using gasoline. The magazine noted the Volt is nicely equipped and has a
> "taut yet supple ride."
>
> But he said there are a lot of trade-offs.
>
> "They are going to live with the compromises the vehicle delivers," Champion
> said. "When you look at it from a purely logical point of view, it doesn't
> make an awful lot of sense."
>
> Before Consumer Reports decides whether to recommend the Volt, it needs data
> from at least 100 subscribers who own one, and a year of reliability data.

Volt, aka "Short Circuit"
Old March 1st 11, 01:20 PM posted to alt.autos,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech
hls

"C. E. White" > wrote in message
> Consumer Reports: GM's Volt 'doesn't really make a lot of sense'

Suspicions confirmed

Old March 1st 11, 06:42 PM posted to alt.autos,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_9_]

On 3/1/2011 2:47 AM, C. E. White wrote:
> Consumer Reports: GM's Volt 'doesn't really make a lot of sense'

None of these electric vehicles with gas engines make much sense but
they are important because they'll lead the way to a fully electric
future. You wouldn't have the Volt without the Japanese Hybrid cars,
which from most any way you look at it, are kinda silly.

Old March 1st 11, 07:01 PM posted to alt.autos,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech
Vic Smith

On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 07:47:07 -0500, "C. E. White"
> wrote:

>"When you are looking at purely dollars and cents, it doesn't really make a
>lot of sense. The Volt isn't particularly efficient as an electric vehicle
>and it's not particularly good as a gas vehicle either in terms of fuel
>economy," said David Champion, the senior director of Consumer Reports auto
>testing center at a meeting with reporters here. "This is going to be a
>tough sell to the average consumer."

Duh. Magazine pays $48,700 for a car with unproven leading edge
technology and then says ""This is going to be a tough sell to the
average consumer."
Brilliant.

>The magazine said in its testing in Connecticut during a harsh winter, its
>Volt is getting 25 to 27 miles on electric power alone.
>
>GM spokesman Greg Martin noted that it's been an extremely harsh winter -
>and as a Volt driver he said he's getting 29-33 miles on electric range. But
>he noted that in more moderate recent weather, the range jumped to 40 miles
>on electric range or higher.

Or higher? First I heard it would exceed 40 miles on electric.

>Champion believes a hybrid, such as the Toyota Prius, may make more sense
>for some trips.

Duh. So would just about any gas-powered econo-car.
The Volt is targeted at commuters who drive 40 miles or less per day.

>"If you drive about 70 miles, a Prius will actually get you more miles per
>gallon than the Volt does," Champion said.

Why would anybody who commonly drove more than 40 miles daily buy a
Volt? Defeats the purpose of the Volt.
Wait. I know who. Consumer Reports.

No ****. This is news?

>The magazine has put about 2,500 miles on its Volt. It paid $48,700,
>including a $5,000 markup by a Chevy dealer.

Suckers. The real story is why they got a free Leaf and had to pay
more than retail to buy a Volt to test.
I have a feeling CR and GM don't have a good relationship.
And what about the $7500 Fed tax credit?

>Champion noted the Volt is about twice as expensive as a Prius.

That's what happens when you pay a $5000 dealer markup and don't
claim your $7500 credit.
What are these guys smoking?

>He was said the five hour time to recharge the Volt was "annoying" and was
>also critical of the power of the Volt heating system.
>
>"You have seat heaters, which keep your body warm, but your feet get cold
>and your hands get cold," Champion said.

If you are "annoyed" because a rechargeable battery has to be
recharged, I question your sanity.

>On one commute, his range in a Leaf was at 43 miles when he turned onto an
>eight-mile stretch of highway, but it fell from 43 to 16 miles after eight
>miles at 70 mph.
>
>"If it keeps on going down at this rate, will I get to work," Champion said.

There's your real headline.
"Almost ****ed my Pants Worrying About Being Stranded by Nissan
Leaf!"
Wonder why he didn't mention being "annoyed" by charging the Leaf.

>Champion said in an interview he thinks the Volt "will sell the quantity
>that they want to sell to the people that really want it."
>

>"They are going to live with the compromises the vehicle delivers," Champion
>said. "When you look at it from a purely logical point of view, it doesn't
>make an awful lot of sense."

Not when you pay $48,700 and get gas for $3.35.
When you can buy the car for about $30k and gas is $5.00 then the
logic changes.
But reliability is yet to be proved too.
We'll see.

--Vic
Old March 1st 11, 09:33 PM posted to alt.autos,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 07:47:07 -0500, "C. E. White"
> wrote:

>Consumer Reports: GM's Volt 'doesn't really make a lot of sense'
>
>David Shepardson / Detroit News Washington Bureau
>
>Washington - Consumer Reports offered a harsh initial review of the
>Chevrolet Volt, questioning whether General Motors Co.'s flagship vehicle
>makes economic "sense.

Since when was the Volt General Motors flagship vehicle?
Old March 1st 11, 10:00 PM posted to alt.autos,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech
hls

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 3/1/2011 2:47 AM, C. E. White wrote:
>> Consumer Reports: GM's Volt 'doesn't really make a lot of sense'

> None of these electric vehicles with gas engines make much sense but they
> are important because they'll lead the way to a fully electric future.

Remember Julius and Ethel Rosenberg...Their future was also
fully electric.

Old March 1st 11, 10:01 PM posted to alt.autos,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech
hls

> wrote in message
> On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 07:47:07 -0500, "C. E. White"
> > wrote:
>
>>Consumer Reports: GM's Volt 'doesn't really make a lot of sense'
>>
>>David Shepardson / Detroit News Washington Bureau
>>
>>Washington - Consumer Reports offered a harsh initial review of the
>>Chevrolet Volt, questioning whether General Motors Co.'s flagship vehicle
>>makes economic "sense.

> Since when was the Volt General Motors flagship vehicle?

Their Titanic maybe?

Old March 1st 11, 10:17 PM posted to alt.autos,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_9_]

On 3/1/2011 11:12 AM, Roger Blake wrote:
> On 2011-03-01, > wrote:
>> None of these electric vehicles with gas engines make much sense but
>> they are important because they'll lead the way to a fully electric
>> future.

> I have no interest in a "fully electric future" and certainly no interest
> in purchasing electric or hybrid vehicles. You can keep 'em.

In the scheme of things, our personal opinions don't matter much do they?
Old March 1st 11, 10:18 PM posted to alt.autos,alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_9_]

On 3/1/2011 12:00 PM, hls wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>> On 3/1/2011 2:47 AM, C. E. White wrote:
>>> Consumer Reports: GM's Volt 'doesn't really make a lot of sense'

>> None of these electric vehicles with gas engines make much sense but
>> they are important because they'll lead the way to a fully electric
>> future.

> Remember Julius and Ethel Rosenberg...Their future was also
> fully electric.

20 years ago I wouldn't have believed that our future was going to be
almost totally digital.

Consumer Reports not rich Corvette 2 June 9th 07 03:08 AM
Consumer Reports db Corvette 10 March 5th 07 09:04 PM
Best SUVs - Consumer Reports Joe[_14_] Technology 12 November 29th 06 10:03 PM
Best SUVs - Consumer Reports Joe[_14_] Driving 1 November 18th 06 06:36 PM
Consumer Reports NJ Vike Audi 12 May 22nd 06 12:04 AM