Engine Knocking

Old April 10th 11, 08:40 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
iconlarry

Default Engine Knocking

After my 2001 Nissan Sentra (four cylinder) is warmed up and driven on
the highway (especially uphill) car knocks – (sounds like marbles
hitting together) with loss of acceleration power, almost like car was
going to stop. Also, on occasion, after adding “Techron” saw white
smoke out of tailpipe. Here’s what was done recently:

1. Valve Cover replaced – smelling oil – smoke inside car
2. Oil Change.
3. Discovered problem.
4. Put in “Dry Gas.”
5. Code reader showed #3 cylinder mis-firing.
6. Changed spark plugs.
7. Changed #3 coil
8. Added “Techron” to gas.

After applying #’s 4., 5., and 6., there was a slight improvement each
time, but the problem still exists.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Larry
Old April 10th 11, 09:11 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

On Apr 10, 3:40*pm, iconlarry > wrote:
> After my 2001 Nissan Sentra (four cylinder) is warmed up and driven on
> the highway (especially uphill) car knocks – (sounds like marbles
> hitting together) with loss of acceleration power, almost like car was
> going to stop. Also, on occasion, after adding “Techron” saw white
> smoke out of tailpipe. Here’s what was done recently:
>
> 1. * * *Valve Cover replaced – smelling oil – smoke inside car
> 2. * * *Oil Change.
> 3. * * *Discovered problem.
> 4. * * *Put in “Dry Gas.”
> 5. * * *Code reader showed #3 cylinder mis-firing.
> 6. * * *Changed spark plugs.
> 7. * * *Changed #3 coil
> 8. * * *Added “Techron” to gas.
>
> After applying #’s 4., 5., and 6., there was a slight improvement each
> time, but the problem still exists.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Larry

Do you have a temp gauge? What does the coolant and oil look like?

Typically white smoke says burning water/antifreeze; I'm fearing blown
head gasket, but hopefully I'm wrong.

nate
Old April 10th 11, 09:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
iconlarry

On Apr 10, 4:11*pm, N8N > wrote:
> On Apr 10, 3:40*pm, iconlarry > wrote:
>

> > After my 2001 Nissan Sentra (four cylinder) is warmed up and driven on
> > the highway (especially uphill) car knocks – (sounds like marbles
> > hitting together) with loss of acceleration power, almost like car was
> > going to stop. Also, on occasion, after adding “Techron” saw white
> > smoke out of tailpipe. Here’s what was done recently:

> > 1. * * *Valve Cover replaced – smelling oil – smoke inside car
> > 2. * * *Oil Change.
> > 3. * * *Discovered problem.
> > 4. * * *Put in “Dry Gas.”
> > 5. * * *Code reader showed #3 cylinder mis-firing.
> > 6. * * *Changed spark plugs.
> > 7. * * *Changed #3 coil
> > 8. * * *Added “Techron” to gas.

> > After applying #’s 4., 5., and 6., there was a slight improvement each
> > time, but the problem still exists.

> > Any suggestions would be appreciated.

> > Larry

> Do you have a temp gauge? *What does the coolant and oil look like?
>
> Typically white smoke says burning water/antifreeze; I'm fearing blown
> head gasket, but hopefully I'm wrong.
>
> nate- Hide quoted text -

Nate: Thank you for responding. Did u read what I added on-my husband
forgot to mention some things. Temp guage normal, oil just changed 5
days prior to problem, husband checked and says oil is clear. Coolant
is at minimum I showed that to my husband but he has not corrected.
YOur mentioning reminded me. Also were two times when stopped for a
light, that light knocking occured and lots of exhaust smoke, we
thought maybe that was the Techtron, because it was within a few hours
of putting in.
Old April 10th 11, 10:09 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Paul in Houston TX

iconlarry wrote:
> After my 2001 Nissan Sentra (four cylinder) is warmed up and driven on
> the highway (especially uphill) car knocks – (sounds like marbles
> hitting together) with loss of acceleration power, almost like car was
> going to stop. Also, on occasion, after adding “Techron” saw white
> smoke out of tailpipe. Here’s what was done recently:
>
> 1. Valve Cover replaced – smelling oil – smoke inside car
> 2. Oil Change.
> 3. Discovered problem.
> 4. Put in “Dry Gas.”
> 5. Code reader showed #3 cylinder mis-firing.
> 6. Changed spark plugs.
> 7. Changed #3 coil
> 8. Added “Techron” to gas.
>
> After applying #’s 4., 5., and 6., there was a slight improvement each
> time, but the problem still exists.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Larry

How many miles?
How much oil does it use?
What did you expect the techron to do?
Old April 10th 11, 10:25 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
iconlarry

On Apr 10, 5:09*pm, Paul in Houston TX > wrote:
> iconlarry wrote:
> > After my 2001 Nissan Sentra (four cylinder) is warmed up and driven on
> > the highway (especially uphill) car knocks – (sounds like marbles
> > hitting together) with loss of acceleration power, almost like car was
> > going to stop. Also, on occasion, after adding “Techron” saw white
> > smoke out of tailpipe. Here’s what was done recently:

> > 1. Valve Cover replaced – smelling oil – smoke inside car
> > 2. Oil Change.
> > 3. Discovered problem.
> > 4. Put in “Dry Gas.”
> > 5. Code reader showed #3 cylinder mis-firing.
> > 6. Changed spark plugs.
> > 7. Changed #3 coil
> > 8. Added “Techron” to gas.

> > After applying #’s 4., 5., and 6., there was a slight improvement each
> > time, but the problem still exists.

> > Any suggestions would be appreciated.

> > Larry

> How many miles?
> How much oil does it use?
> What did you expect the techron to do?- Hide quoted text -

2001 Nissan Sentra with 85,000 miles, gently used-timely oil changes.
Oil use is normal, have changed oil at mileage mechanic posts in car,
Techron was added after car still was knocking after plugs and
cylinder # 3 coil was changed, to possibly clean out fuel injector-
perhaps some dirt got in. Mechanics thoughts were I used a different
reputable gas station to fill-up-thought maybe some bad gas, or
station just had fill-up, and I purchased the gas? Right now just
added coolant to bring to MAX, it was barely below min.
Old April 10th 11, 10:43 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
iconlarry

On Apr 10, 4:39*pm, iconlarry > wrote:
> On Apr 10, 4:11*pm, N8N > wrote:
>

> > On Apr 10, 3:40*pm, iconlarry > wrote:

> > > After my 2001 Nissan Sentra (four cylinder) is warmed up and driven on
> > > the highway (especially uphill) car knocks – (sounds like marbles
> > > hitting together) with loss of acceleration power, almost like car was
> > > going to stop. Also, on occasion, after adding “Techron” saw white
> > > smoke out of tailpipe. Here’s what was done recently:

> > > 1. * * *Valve Cover replaced – smelling oil – smoke inside car
> > > 2. * * *Oil Change.
> > > 3. * * *Discovered problem.
> > > 4. * * *Put in “Dry Gas.”
> > > 5. * * *Code reader showed #3 cylinder mis-firing.
> > > 6. * * *Changed spark plugs.
> > > 7. * * *Changed #3 coil
> > > 8. * * *Added “Techron” to gas.

> > > After applying #’s 4., 5., and 6., there was a slight improvement each
> > > time, but the problem still exists.

> > > Any suggestions would be appreciated.

> > > Larry

> > Do you have a temp gauge? *What does the coolant and oil look like?

> > Typically white smoke says burning water/antifreeze; I'm fearing blown
> > head gasket, but hopefully I'm wrong.

> > nate- Hide quoted text -

> Nate: Thank you for responding. Did u read what I added on-my husband
> forgot to mention some things. Temp guage normal, oil just changed 5
> days prior to problem, husband checked and says oil is clear. Coolant
> is at minimum I showed that to my husband but he has not corrected.
> YOur mentioning reminded me. Also were two times when stopped for a
> light, that light knocking occured and lots of exhaust smoke, we
> thought maybe that was the Techtron, because it was within a few hours
> of putting in.- Hide quoted text -

Hi:
I added coolant brought up from min to near max because of your
asking. Thank you. My husband's take on problems were not exact. The
computer reading (without any 'Check engine light" on) showed 2 codes.
One for cylinder 3 and one for cylinder 4. After all plugs were
changed, knocking problem persisted, so mechanic changed cylinder 3
coil because that code came up again. However, problem still persisted
but milder. After test drive by me, with NO "check engine light"
showing, but just blinking when problem occurs then stops, again the
code for Cylinder 3 was there. Code for cylinder 4 is NOT showing.
Mechanic baffled told me to just drive, but we are concerned about
driving long distance, at night, etc. Want to fix problem because need
reliable car. Thanks.

Knocking sound M62 engine. R. Mark Clayton BMW 3 August 25th 06 01:11 PM
99 Intrepid 2.7 Engine Knocking JoeVega5629 Dodge 0 November 29th 05 04:41 AM
Loud engine knocking when idle. Sephiroth Dodge 0 August 11th 05 06:35 AM
engine knocking ? staceanne Dodge 8 July 18th 05 08:36 PM
96 Saturn engine knocking Nobody Saturn 5 June 25th 05 01:35 AM