steering wheel puller? (04 Cavalier)

Old April 14th 14, 08:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
George[_23_]

Default steering wheel puller? (04 Cavalier)

('04 Cavalier) The horn switch is bad, and needs to be working for
state inspection. So, I have to pull the steering wheel.

The problem is, the wheel doesn't have threaded holes for the puller
bolts to screw into. Instead, there are just oblong slots in the plate.
GM has special legs for their J-1859-A puller to do this ...

http://www.toolsource.com/steering-w...-p-112355.html

.... $80!

If anyone has a better plan, I'd appreciate hearing it. I'm reluctant
to hammer on the steering shaft.

Thanks,
George
Old April 14th 14, 11:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

George wrote:
> ('04 Cavalier) The horn switch is bad, and needs to be working for
> state inspection. So, I have to pull the steering wheel.
>
> The problem is, the wheel doesn't have threaded holes for the puller
> bolts to screw into. Instead, there are just oblong slots in the plate.
> GM has special legs for their J-1859-A puller to do this ...
>
> http://www.toolsource.com/steering-w...-p-112355.html
>
> ... $80!
>
> If anyone has a better plan, I'd appreciate hearing it. I'm reluctant
> to hammer on the steering shaft.
>
> Thanks,
> George

If you have the normal style puller just take a couple bolts and grind
the heads down into a double D shape that will slide into the holes,
turn 90 degrees and lock in.

--
Steve W.
Old April 15th 14, 09:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Mon, 14 Apr 2014 15:18:19 -0400, George >
wrote:

>('04 Cavalier) The horn switch is bad, and needs to be working for
>state inspection. So, I have to pull the steering wheel.
>
>The problem is, the wheel doesn't have threaded holes for the puller
>bolts to screw into. Instead, there are just oblong slots in the plate.
>GM has special legs for their J-1859-A puller to do this ...
>
>http://www.toolsource.com/steering-w...-p-112355.html
>
>... $80!
>
>If anyone has a better plan, I'd appreciate hearing it. I'm reluctant
>to hammer on the steering shaft.
>
>Thanks,
>George

If you don't care about originality, just run a new wire to the horn
and screw a $5 "horn button" from the auto parts store to the dash
somewhere.
Old May 1st 14, 01:36 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
George[_23_]

On Mon, 14 Apr 2014 18:51:13 -0400, "Steve W." >
wrote:

>George wrote:
>> ('04 Cavalier) The horn switch is bad, and needs to be working for
>> state inspection. So, I have to pull the steering wheel.
>>
>> The problem is, the wheel doesn't have threaded holes for the puller
>> bolts to screw into. Instead, there are just oblong slots in the plate.
>> GM has special legs for their J-1859-A puller to do this ...
>>
>> http://www.toolsource.com/steering-w...-p-112355.html
>>
>> ... $80!
>>
>> If anyone has a better plan, I'd appreciate hearing it. I'm reluctant
>> to hammer on the steering shaft.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> George

>If you have the normal style puller just take a couple bolts and grind
>the heads down into a double D shape that will slide into the holes,
>turn 90 degrees and lock in.

Just FYI, I tried that. It's a nice idea, but didn't work for me. The
(3/8" grade 5) bolts I used, bent. Maybe grade 8 would have been
better. Or something. Happily, it turns out I didn't need to get the
wheel off anyway: I tried just putting it back together, with the horn
wired locked back in its little tube, and the horn worked.

.... At least for the moment, and long enough to get through inspections.

Old May 1st 14, 02:41 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Funny steeringwheel pull story. 23 yrs ago my cousin and I had to pull one from my '81 Buick Century to replace the directional switch I somehow broke and it was limp.

He pulled so hard both he and the wheel came out so quick he BROKE THE SEAT BACK OFF THE FUGGIN DRIVERSEAT!!!

So now I needed a new back for the vinyl split front bench in addition to replacing the turn stalk. lmfao...
Old May 1st 14, 06:10 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

George wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Apr 2014 18:51:13 -0400, "Steve W." >
> wrote:
>
>> George wrote:
>>> ('04 Cavalier) The horn switch is bad, and needs to be working for
>>> state inspection. So, I have to pull the steering wheel.
>>>
>>> The problem is, the wheel doesn't have threaded holes for the puller
>>> bolts to screw into. Instead, there are just oblong slots in the plate.
>>> GM has special legs for their J-1859-A puller to do this ...
>>>
>>> http://www.toolsource.com/steering-w...-p-112355.html
>>>
>>> ... $80!
>>>
>>> If anyone has a better plan, I'd appreciate hearing it. I'm reluctant
>>> to hammer on the steering shaft.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> George

>> If you have the normal style puller just take a couple bolts and grind
>> the heads down into a double D shape that will slide into the holes,
>> turn 90 degrees and lock in.

> Just FYI, I tried that. It's a nice idea, but didn't work for me. The
> (3/8" grade 5) bolts I used, bent. Maybe grade 8 would have been
> better. Or something. Happily, it turns out I didn't need to get the
> wheel off anyway: I tried just putting it back together, with the horn
> wired locked back in its little tube, and the horn worked.
>
> ... At least for the moment, and long enough to get through inspections.

Normally you tighten down the bolts, then use a chunk of wood on the
shaft and hit that with a hammer to break the wheel loose. If you try
just pulling with the puller you almost guarantee bending/breaking
something. Those splines are slightly tapered so they really wedge in.
Usually a couple good hits and they will pop free.

--
Steve W.
Old May 1st 14, 10:47 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Steve W:
http://www.wedgeinnstamford.com/#!