Unusual Road Rage Incident

Old August 21st 06, 12:50 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Sir Lex

Default Unusual Road Rage Incident

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> I can understand how that driver must have felt - you just can't drive
> slowly enough for some people. If some arrogant bitch told me to slow
> down when I was already driving at a legal, reasonable, and prudent
> speed, I'd get ****ed off, too (although I wouldn't go after her with
> an oar - I'd just tell her to **** off).
>
> http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...8JJ2KCO0.shtml
>
> Teen Allegedly Uses Oar on Horse Riders
> Teen allegedly goes after two N.H. horse riders with wooden oar in
> bizarre road rage case
>
> BARRINGTON, N.H., Aug. 18, 2006
> (AP) Police are investigating a bizarre incident in which a teen,
> apparently angered by two horse riders along the road, allegedly went
> after the riders with an oar and stabbed a man who intervened.
>
> Michele Snow, of Barrington, said she and her 7-year-old daughter,
> Brianna, were riding on the side of the road Wednesday when Snow waved
> for a truck to slow down as it drove toward them.

That's not exactly an unreasonable request. Slowing down momentarily
would have added at most 10 seconds to the drivers trip, and maybe 5
cents tops to his gas bill? Sounds like pretty good insurance to me
considering roaring up to a horse even at the SL could startle it and
send it galloping into the path of a car.

> Witnesses told police the 16-year-old driver skidded to a stop,
> grabbed a wooden oar and went after the riders. They galloped away as
> several neighbors and other witnesses headed for the driver.
>
> Witnesses told Fosters Daily Democrat the teen pulled a knife and
> stabbed 57-year-old Milton Smith of Strafford in the face and leg as
> he tried to calm the teen down. Smith was treated and released from
> the hospital.

I realise this story is probably quite one sided, however if true, I
hope this teen is locked up for assault.

I come across a few horses a year on roads near my house, all with speed
limits of 100km/h (60). If I see a horse with rider close to the road,
I will not hesitate to slow down to half the SL so as not to spook the
horse. Once safely past the horse I'll get back up to my usual SL + 7.

--

SL.

Take back the web. www.Getfirefox.com

http://www.firefoxflicks.com/flick/?id=20272

Take back your Inbox. www.Getthunderbird.com
Old August 21st 06, 01:50 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
The Real Bev[_1_]

Sir Lex wrote:

> Scott en Aztlán wrote:
>> I can understand how that driver must have felt - you just can't drive
>> slowly enough for some people. If some arrogant bitch told me to slow
>> down when I was already driving at a legal, reasonable, and prudent
>> speed, I'd get ****ed off, too (although I wouldn't go after her with
>> an oar - I'd just tell her to **** off).
>>
>> http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...8JJ2KCO0.shtml
>>
>> Teen Allegedly Uses Oar on Horse Riders
>> Teen allegedly goes after two N.H. horse riders with wooden oar in
>> bizarre road rage case
>>
>> BARRINGTON, N.H., Aug. 18, 2006
>> (AP) Police are investigating a bizarre incident in which a teen,
>> apparently angered by two horse riders along the road, allegedly went
>> after the riders with an oar and stabbed a man who intervened.

Sounds nuts no matter why he did it.

>> Michele Snow, of Barrington, said she and her 7-year-old daughter,
>> Brianna, were riding on the side of the road Wednesday when Snow waved
>> for a truck to slow down as it drove toward them.

Is there some sort of coded wave for "Slow down" as opposed to, say,
"HI!" or "My friend is bleeding to death, do you have a cell phone?" or
"Is this the road to Jonesville?"

> That's not exactly an unreasonable request. Slowing down momentarily
> would have added at most 10 seconds to the drivers trip, and maybe 5
> cents tops to his gas bill? Sounds like pretty good insurance to me
> considering roaring up to a horse even at the SL could startle it and
> send it galloping into the path of a car.

I'm a city girl. If I saw somebody on a horse waving at me on a 60-mph
road I'd figure there was something seriously wrong. I'd be pretty
****ed if I got out of the car in order to render assistance only to
find that the rider just wanted me to slow down. Maybe it's good that I
don't carry an oar in my truck.

>> Witnesses told police the 16-year-old driver skidded to a stop,
>> grabbed a wooden oar and went after the riders. They galloped away as
>> several neighbors and other witnesses headed for the driver.
>>
>> Witnesses told Fosters Daily Democrat the teen pulled a knife and
>> stabbed 57-year-old Milton Smith of Strafford in the face and leg as
>> he tried to calm the teen down. Smith was treated and released from
>> the hospital.

> I realise this story is probably quite one sided, however if true, I
> hope this teen is locked up for assault.

The story is incoherent.

> I come across a few horses a year on roads near my house, all with speed
> limits of 100km/h (60). If I see a horse with rider close to the road,
> I will not hesitate to slow down to half the SL so as not to spook the
> horse. Once safely past the horse I'll get back up to my usual SL + 7.

Should a horse be ridden with traffic or facing traffic?

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old August 21st 06, 04:56 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, Scott en Aztlán wrote:

> If those horse are easily startled by automobiles, then Michele and
> her daughter have no business riding them near a road.

Reminds me of one my rides on an upaved trail that is for biking and
horseback riding. Someone wasn't pleased I was riding a bike there
because their horse wasn't used to bikes yet.... Yet a narrow trail with
blind curves is where you introduce the horse to bicycle riders?

>>The story is incoherent.

> Par for the Liberal Media course.

Actually it's the status quo democrat leaning media.

Old August 21st 06, 08:00 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
gpsman

Brent P wrote: <brevity snip>

> Reminds me of one my rides on an upaved trail that is for biking and
> horseback riding. Someone wasn't pleased I was riding a bike there
> because their horse wasn't used to bikes yet.... Yet a narrow trail with
> blind curves is where you introduce the horse to bicycle riders?

Spurious conclusion. You have no method of determining when the horse
was introduced to bicycles.

That said, many if not most horses should not be mixed with bicycles.
They have a brain about the size of your fist and can spook at the
slightest provocation, or none at all. A highly unpredictable, large,
potentially dangerous and very stupid animal in many cases.
-----

- gpsman

Old August 21st 06, 08:22 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
The Real Bev[_1_]

Scott en Aztlán wrote:

>>Is there some sort of coded wave for "Slow down" as opposed to, say,
>>"HI!" or "My friend is bleeding to death, do you have a cell phone?" or
>>"Is this the road to Jonesville?"

> Take your hand, fingers extended, palm facing down towards the ground,
> and hold it at about chin level. While maintaining your fingers and
> palm parallel to the ground at all times, move your hand down to
> approximately your stomach, then back up to your chin, repeatedly.

Sounds like what the unsuccessful Rose Queen candidates might do.

>>> That's not exactly an unreasonable request.

> It is if there's no reason for it other than Michele is a control
> freak. I saw a video interview with this woman, and she looks like an
> arrogant, wealthy bitch to me.
>
>>> Sounds like pretty good insurance to me
>>> considering roaring up to a horse even at the SL could startle it and
>>> send it galloping into the path of a car.

> If those horse are easily startled by automobiles, then Michele and
> her daughter have no business riding them near a road.

Memorable animal encounter: passing a flock of mountain goats
peacefully grazing at the side of unfenced I-70 going over the Rockies.

>>I'm a city girl. If I saw somebody on a horse waving at me on a 60-mph
>>road I'd figure there was something seriously wrong. I'd be pretty
>>****ed if I got out of the car in order to render assistance only to
>>find that the rider just wanted me to slow down. Maybe it's good that I
>>don't carry an oar in my truck.

> Or a gun.

A question: While you need a permit for concealed carry, is there any
law preventing you from wearing a six-gun on your hip?

>>> I realise this story is probably quite one sided, however if true, I
>>> hope this teen is locked up for assault.

>>The story is incoherent.

> Par for the Liberal Media course.

I really want to know more. Why was the guy so angry? Why was he
carrying an oar? Why was the woman riding a horse on a high-speed road?
Why did the innocent bystander stop if the horseriders had galloped away?

>>> I come across a few horses a year on roads near my house, all with speed
>>> limits of 100km/h (60). If I see a horse with rider close to the road,
>>> I will not hesitate to slow down to half the SL so as not to spook the
>>> horse. Once safely past the horse I'll get back up to my usual SL + 7.

>>Should a horse be ridden with traffic or facing traffic?

> With traffic, of course - just like in the olden days before
> automobiles existed.

So then the woman was flagging down a driver on the FAR side of the
street? Curiouser and curiouser.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old August 21st 06, 09:12 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Mike T.

> Same reason assholes put "SLOW DOWN! CHILDREN AT PLAY!!" signs into
> the middle of the street in front of their houses: pure arrogance.

I wish I could find some of those signs to run over (at EXACTLY the speed
limit in the area). Alas, I've never seen one. -Dave

Old August 21st 06, 09:44 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
The Real Bev[_1_]

Scott (formerly known as " ") wrote:

>>> Par for the Liberal Media course.

>>I really want to know more. Why was the guy so angry? Why was he
>>carrying an oar? Why was the woman riding a horse on a high-speed road?
>>Why did the innocent bystander stop if the horseriders had galloped away?

> Another given for the Liberal Media is that they NEVER follow up on a
> story unless it's something truly huge, like 9/11 or the JonBenet

Does anybody know where the name JonBenet came from? Family name?
"Beautiful" in some little-known frenchified foreign language? Misprint
on the birth certificate?

>>So then the woman was flagging down a driver on the FAR side of the
>>street? Curiouser and curiouser.

> Same reason assholes put "SLOW DOWN! CHILDREN AT PLAY!!" signs into
> the middle of the street in front of their houses: pure arrogance.
> They think the world revolves around them and their precious little
> darlings, and that everyone else should kowtow to their demands.
> Michele strikes me as this type of person.

I'm sorry I didn't get to see her. I haven't had all that many grounds
for outrage recently and I'm feeling the lack.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old August 21st 06, 09:45 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
The Real Bev[_1_]

Mike T. wrote:

>> Same reason assholes put "SLOW DOWN! CHILDREN AT PLAY!!" signs into
>> the middle of the street in front of their houses: pure arrogance.

> I wish I could find some of those signs to run over (at EXACTLY the speed
> limit in the area). Alas, I've never seen one. -Dave

I like the 'SLOW DOWN' on the radar machines as it clocks me on my
bicycle at 7 mph.

Old August 22nd 06, 08:20 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Vee-One

"The Real Bev" > wrote in message

<Brevity Snip>

>> Or a gun.

> A question: While you need a permit for concealed carry, is there any law
> preventing you from wearing a six-gun on your hip?

<Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer. Check your local laws>

While many areas that don't ban gun possesion outright (Washington DC,
Chicago, etc) have no laws against the open-carry of a firearm, sheeple tend
to be a nervous bunch if they see you packing, so be prepared to see the
'boys in blue'. However, if you are knowledgable of the laws, kindly inform
them of your rights when they do arrive. That's why I love living in
Alaska, where concealed carry is allowed WITHOUT a stinkin' permit.

Vee-One

Old August 22nd 06, 01:46 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Mike T.

"The Real Bev" > wrote in message
> Mike T. wrote:
>

>>> Same reason assholes put "SLOW DOWN! CHILDREN AT PLAY!!" signs into
>>> the middle of the street in front of their houses: pure arrogance.

>> I wish I could find some of those signs to run over (at EXACTLY the speed
>> limit in the area). Alas, I've never seen one. -Dave

> I like the 'SLOW DOWN' on the radar machines as it clocks me on my bicycle
> at 7 mph.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Bev

You're slow, Bev. I've walked by those trailers at an indicated 35MPH with
no traffic on the road. It seems I can walk a lot faster than you can ride
your bicycle. What is UP with that? -Dave