How to use 4wd feature on 2000 Explorer - EB

Old March 2nd 06, 09:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default How to use 4wd feature on 2000 Explorer - EB

Hi all. My manual was stolen out of my car a while back and I haven't
replaced it yet.

I will be driving in some possibly heavy snow this weekend and was
wondering how to use the 4wd feature. Is it as simple as just "turning
it on"? Does the car need to be in motion, park, etc when turning it
on?

Thanks so much!

Theresa

Old March 2nd 06, 10:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

"Theresa" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> Hi all. My manual was stolen out of my car a while back and I haven't
> replaced it yet.
>
> I will be driving in some possibly heavy snow this weekend and was
> wondering how to use the 4wd feature. Is it as simple as just "turning
> it on"? Does the car need to be in motion, park, etc when turning it
> on?
>
> Thanks so much!
>
> Theresa

Theresa, you can find the 'Glove Box Manuals' otherwise known as 'Drivers
Handbooks' online at the following link.
http://www.genuineservice.com/genui...fault?page=Home
Click on the 'Glove Box Manuals' link under the MAINTENANCE header and then
select make/year/model as prompted.

By the way, it really IS as easy as turning the dashboard switch to "4X4"
but you really need to read the relevant section in the drivers handbook if
you are not familiar with 4 wheel drive vehicles. DO NOT, in any
circumstances drive more than a few yards in "4X4" mode on a hard, dry
surface where there is lots of grip e.g. a dry (or even slightly damp)
road - you could seriously damage the transmission. Don't let this scare
you, it's just something you need to know and it applies to ANY 4X4 vehicle,
not just the Ex.

Hope this helps,
Simon H (In the UK)

Old March 2nd 06, 10:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Try this link :
<http://www.genuineservice.com/genuineservice/en/default?page=E4>

Dave

--
Diving is life! The rest is just details.
W.W.W.I.

Old March 2nd 06, 10:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

you can put it in to 4 high at any speed but to use 4 low you have to stop
the truck put it in to nuetral turn the switch to 4 low wait for the light
to come on the put into drive and go to take it out of 4 low put in nuetral
and take it out of 4 low

Old March 2nd 06, 11:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Thanks so much to all of you! This helps a ton.

Theresa

Old March 3rd 06, 03:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

I have found on mine that I need to put Jeep into neutral, engage the 4X4
Low box and then put the jeep into reverse before it engages.
Good luck with it.
Ex Ford 2000 Explorer driver (****ed off because there not available in RHD
anymore) soo driving a Range Rover sport now.

ps.com...

Old March 6th 06, 07:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

One shouldn't engage 4WD above 55 mph.... Come to think of it, if one needs
4WD, one shouldn't be going that fast. anyway.....

oups.com...