Car shaking after changing spark plugs

Old August 27th 06, 12:41 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Wei Hu

Default Car shaking after changing spark plugs

Hi,

Today I replaced the six spark plugs of my 94 Ford Taurus.
However, when I stop for red lights, the car shakes every one or two
seconds.
Does anybody know the reason?
Could it be that I didn't adjust the gap?

Thanks,
Wei

Old August 27th 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Shep

One wire is not plugged in properly or the wires are in the wrong order or
you cracked a plug during the installation.
oups.com...

Old August 27th 06, 12:53 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
« Paul »[_1_]

Wei Hu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Today I replaced the six spark plugs of my 94 Ford Taurus.
> However, when I stop for red lights, the car shakes every one or two
> seconds.
> Does anybody know the reason?
> Could it be that I didn't adjust the gap?
>
> Thanks,
> Wei

Possibly destroyed a wire or several while changing plugs.
Old August 27th 06, 07:57 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Don[_1_]

On 26 Aug 2006 16:41:00 -0700, "Wei Hu" > wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Today I replaced the six spark plugs of my 94 Ford Taurus.
>However, when I stop for red lights, the car shakes every one or two
>seconds.
>Does anybody know the reason?
>Could it be that I didn't adjust the gap?

Your car will miss at idle if the spark plug gaps are too close.
Also, if you put in Bosch take them out.

Don
www.donsautomotive.com

Old August 27th 06, 09:35 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jeffcoslacker[_35_]

Wei Hu Wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Today I replaced the six spark plugs of my 94 Ford Taurus.
> However, when I stop for red lights, the car shakes every one or two
> seconds.
> Does anybody know the reason?
> Could it be that I didn't adjust the gap?
>
> Thanks,
> Wei

I'll cocurr with the others...cracked insulator or damaged plug wire
most likely, gap not so much so, but possible...if they were platinum
plugs with the preset gap, they are rarely ever wrong...the electrode
is tough as hell and doesn't bend easily..

I agree also, Bosch Plats are crap, I'd throw them away if that's what
you got, get Motorcraft or Autolite for it...

--
jeffcoslacker
jeffcoslacker's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=219638

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old August 27th 06, 02:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
*

jeffcoslacker > wrote in article

> I'll cocurr with the others...cracked insulator or damaged plug wire
> most likely, gap not so much so, but possible...if they were platinum
> plugs with the preset gap, they are rarely ever wrong...the electrode
> is tough as hell and doesn't bend easily..
>
> I agree also, Bosch Plats are crap, I'd throw them away if that's what
> you got, get Motorcraft or Autolite for it...

I, for one, would be interested in hearing what, exactly, is "crap" about
the Bosch plugs.

Resistors? Metallurgy? Ceramic composition?

Where do they fail in your testing?

What type of testing did you subject them to?

What is it, exactly, that makes them inferior to other spark plugs?

Old August 27th 06, 03:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Shep

Plat Bosch's in a 97 Lumina 3.1, replaced OE plats at 70k, at 22k Bosch's
began misfire under load, pulled em out the center electrode had eroded
below the insulator, put oe's in another 70k no problem, field test seemed
to indicate they wouldn't work in this car.

Old August 27th 06, 03:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
NN[_1_]

«» wrote:
> Wei Hu wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Today I replaced the six spark plugs of my 94 Ford Taurus.
> > However, when I stop for red lights, the car shakes every one or two
> > seconds.
> > Does anybody know the reason?
> > Could it be that I didn't adjust the gap?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Wei

> Add to what Shep said:
> Possibly destroyed a wire or several while changing plugs.

I replaced my wire because I came into a new set for free, an that
problem of yours I had for years went away.

Old August 27th 06, 03:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

* wrote:

> jeffcoslacker > wrote in article
> >

> > I'll cocurr with the others...cracked insulator or damaged plug wire
> > most likely, gap not so much so, but possible...if they were platinum
> > plugs with the preset gap, they are rarely ever wrong...the electrode
> > is tough as hell and doesn't bend easily..
> >
> > I agree also, Bosch Plats are crap, I'd throw them away if that's what
> > you got, get Motorcraft or Autolite for it...
> >

> I, for one, would be interested in hearing what, exactly, is "crap" about
> the Bosch plugs.
>
> Resistors? Metallurgy? Ceramic composition?
>
> Where do they fail in your testing?
>
> What type of testing did you subject them to?
>
> What is it, exactly, that makes them inferior to other spark plugs?

Don't know what is wrong with the suckers, but if you put them in a Jeep
4.2 carb engine and in most Jeep 4.0 FI engines, they will work for a
few miles, then they carbon up and the engine starts running like crap,
especially at idle. Pull them out, put some real plugs in like Champion
and bingo, the engine runs well again.

I have seen this well over a half dozen times in the last few years and
the fix is always to toss the plugs out.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old August 27th 06, 04:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ray

* wrote:
> jeffcoslacker > wrote in article
>

>>I'll cocurr with the others...cracked insulator or damaged plug wire
>>most likely, gap not so much so, but possible...if they were platinum
>>plugs with the preset gap, they are rarely ever wrong...the electrode
>>is tough as hell and doesn't bend easily..
>>
>>I agree also, Bosch Plats are crap, I'd throw them away if that's what
>>you got, get Motorcraft or Autolite for it...
>>

> I, for one, would be interested in hearing what, exactly, is "crap" about
> the Bosch plugs.
>
> Resistors? Metallurgy? Ceramic composition?
>
> Where do they fail in your testing?
>
> What type of testing did you subject them to?
>
> What is it, exactly, that makes them inferior to other spark plugs?

I would guess in this case it's heat range. Heat range X isn't always
the same across brands, and some cars are really sensitive about this.
My buddy has a PT Cruiser that had the check engine light come on when
it was a year old and there was a TSB on the plugs. Can't remember
which brand was involved, but basically the TSB was "thou shalt ONLY use
plug xyz in this engine or your Check Engine light will be on."

I've bought used cars with 3 different brands of plugs without any
issues, but some cars are just "picky" about the plugs.

Ray