return of the classic saab from C.1975-1992?

Old February 11th 09, 02:17 AM posted to aus.cars,rec.autos.misc
Atheist Chaplain[_2_]

Default return of the classic saab from C.1975-1992?

"Atheist Chaplain" > wrote in message news:...
> "fred" > wrote in message
>> "Atheist Chaplain" > wrote in
>> :
>>> Your point about cars being ruined by modern tech rings true with me to
>>> some extent, I don't think cars are designed today as well as they could
>>> be when it comes to handling characteristics, I think that modern driver
>>> aids are taken into consideration far to early in the design phase of
>>> most modern cars and are used as a crutch to disguise a cars bad habits.
>>> I would rather see a car designed with good driving habits from the
>>> start and THEN let the geeks tweak things with stability control etc. I
>>> have no argument with air bags and ABS as they are a definite advantage
>>> when the **** hits the fan, after all its just a natural progression,
>>> otherwise we would all still be driving around with drum brakes with
>>> leather pads, and then when we failed to stop, we would all be smashing
>>> our faces in on huge steering wheels and steel dashboards.

>> I don't see how. I can't think of where you could be that seatbelt
>> wearing
>> wasn't mandatory. Something that makes airbags superflous.

I live in Australia and know all about seatbelts, having worn them for most
of my life (were not mandatory, let alone fitted when I was a little
tacker)
I also know that your chances of survival are increased many fold when
seatbelts and airbags are combined.

>> I like a car that gives feedback, that doesn't mean I want a car without
>> any modern safety features, just that those features should be secondary
>> to the driving, not responsible for isolating us from it.
>>

> You mean like traction control, stability control and ABS? eliminate all
> such and accidents go up, insurance rates go up and politicians will
> mandate them in cars. You can't win.

You missed the point entirely. I'm not saying that those things shouldn't
be
incorporated, I'm saying they should be secondary to GOOD initial design,
not used to mask a poor or average design.
A case in point, your average modern Porsche 911 would put you backwards
through the nearest hedge if it were not for the computing power of a small
research University constantly monitoring things like lateral G loading and
individual wheel spin and throttle position and then taking measures to
correct that.
Another case in point was when Top Gear put a Caterham around its track, no
traction control (though by default they turn that off for every timed hot
lap, regardless of the car, and some cars relinquish control a little more
than others) no launch control, no ABS or stability programs to be seen,
but
it has a **** load of engineering in its initial design, and even though
its
a far less powerful car (2 litre 4 cylinder) it ****ed on the Bugatti
Veyron
and quite a few others.

--
[This comment is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Church of
Scientology International]