2002 Mercury Cougar Speaker Problems

Old February 14th 06, 04:43 AM posted to rec.autos.misc

Default 2002 Mercury Cougar Speaker Problems

Hey my name is Russ and I have a question. In the beginning my car
sometimes my left front and rear speakers in the middle of a song just
shut off all the sudden and won't go on until wait like 10-20 minutes
and turn the car on again the speakers are fine.. Now, the speakers
absolutely will not go on at all. You can hear _sometimes_ a pop or
something in the speakers. Has anyone had this problem and if so how'd
you fix it?

--
Taz3392
Taz3392's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=436261

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old February 24th 06, 05:25 PM posted to rec.autos.misc

Russ, sounds like your stereo is shot. My guess is the amp section for
the left channel was overheating and cutting out, and now the
components are so heat damaged they're dead. Sorry.

--
jpolicke
jpolicke's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=385934

Old March 3rd 06, 07:08 AM posted to rec.autos.misc

jpolicke Wrote:
> Russ, sounds like your stereo is shot. My guess is the amp section for
> the left channel was overheating and cutting out, and now the
> components are so heat damaged they're dead. Sorry.

Hey I hope you get this... WHen you say stereo do you mean the head
unit? Any wiring you think may be damaged also? Any further details
you may have?

Old March 4th 06, 02:06 AM posted to rec.autos.misc

Hi Taz, yes, I mean the head unit. On the Cougar I believe it's entirely
self contained in one big brick. Which simplifies replacement. I doubt
if any of the outside wiring is damaged, barring someone rooting around
back there and yanking on the wrong thing.

The Cougar has an odd size head unit. Adapters are available.
(Crutchfield.com part #120995803) They also have wiring adapters to go
with the wiring harness. Their prices on audio are very high, but
they're good for browsing.

I haven't actually seen the speakers in my Cougar, if they are the
same as the ones in my Contour, then they are also hideous. If they
were any cheaper they'd say Mattel. Paper cones in a plastic cage -
ugh. If you were only losing one corner, say front left or front rear,
I'd suspect the speaker but if you're losing the entire side I'm
inclined to suspect the amp section.

--
jpolicke
jpolicke's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=385934
View this thread: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=522326

http://www.automotiveforums.com

2002 Audi A4 !.9 TDI car windows Plus alarm problems tommy o brien via CarKB.com Audi 1 April 19th 05 05:40 PM
2002 330xi AM radio problems JDM BMW 0 January 16th 05 02:26 AM
Need help with 2002 Passat GLX problems Kagan Gokbayrak VW water cooled 6 December 2nd 04 08:08 PM
2002 Miata SE Paint Problems David G. Nicholls, P.Eng., P.E. Mazda 1 November 8th 04 07:48 PM