Transporting 20 gallons of gas in your trunk and storing in your back yard in the open air question

Old July 23rd 10, 10:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
chuckcar

Default Transporting 20 gallons of gas in your trunk and storing in you...

wrote in
:

> One of the things Mythbusters rigged up was a little remote controlled
> toy car with a little bitty tank of gasoline on it.That was cool,
> watching that toy car trailing a flame along behind it.
> cuhulin

What I loved about that episode was when Adam zoned out and almost had
the truck Jamie was driving catch fire. Before they "wanted" it to. I
wouldn't trust that guy to fill a tire with air, never mind the things
he does on the show.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
Old July 23rd 10, 11:46 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,ca.driving
Bill Murphy

Default Transporting 20 gallons of gas in your trunk and storing in your back yard in the open air question

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 10:57:38 -0700, Smitty Two wrote:

> Is it going to cause you to modify your behavior in some way?

I want to stay within the law.

If the law says I can't transport anything in the trunk, I won't.

If it says I can't store anything in my yard, I won't.

However, if it allows me to transport and store twenty or twenty five
gallons, I will.

BTW, I moved the gas cans into the shed along the other fence. I was
leaving them outside because I thought it was safer due to venting; but the
shed is pretty airy too. The only problem is all the equipment in the shed
has gas in their gas tanks too (mowers, bikes, a cultivator, weed whackers,
blowers, chainsaw, hedge trimmers, pressure washer, etc.).

The neighbor's concerns shouldn't be any different. There are still twenty
gallons of gas (when full) at a time on my property in gas cans. Then
again, I have forty gallons in the garage (in the cars) and so does he.
Another fifteen or so gallons in the tools if they're all full. I see him
mowing his lawn and using hedge trimmers and weed whackers himself, so he
must have at least five gallons himself.
Old July 24th 10, 06:27 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,ca.driving
Steve B[_3_]

"Bill Murphy" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 15:46:55 -0500, JimT wrote:
>
>> most, if not all, local and state statutes are on the internet.
>> He could Google it. May take some time.

> I posted a few references for California legal search sites.
>
> None contained ANY California law regarding the transportation and storage
> of 5-gallon jugs of gasoline for personal use.
>
> Many contained transportation of 120 gallons or more; and OSHA sites
> contained regulations for the work place; but so far, nobody on this
> planet
> can cite a specific California law that regulates the storage or
> transportation of 20-gallons worth of gasoline in the state of California.

Well, be quiet, or someone in California WILL make a law. They got one on
the books for everything else. ;-)

Steve

Old August 23rd 10, 02:42 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,misc.legal
Paul Robinson

On Jul 22, 6:21*pm, Roy > wrote:

> You should contact your local planning department with regards to
> storage. *They are the best place to start. *Another good place is your
> local fire department since it involves hazardous material storage.
>
> As far as transportation, I did find this
>
> "It is ILLEGAL to transport more than 15 gallons or 125 pounds of
> hazardous waste in your personal vehicle."

Except that usable gasoline is not "hazardous waste." Since the
gasoline is not "waste" but is being stored for future use (i.e.
consumption) it doesn't qualify as hazardous waste. It would qualify
as "flammable liquid" however. If it was mopped up contaminated and
unusable gasoline - gasoline which got mixed with something else like
paint thinner, or was so dirty, say from spilling with sand or dirt
that it could not be recovered by simple filtering - *then* it would
qualify as hazardous waste. Since it can be used, as is, out of the
storage container and is suitable for its intended use, it's not
waste.
Old August 23rd 10, 02:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,misc.legal
Paul Robinson

On Jul 23, 11:23*am, Bill Murphy > wrote:

> My point is that laws clearly vary by state:
> - It's illegal in some states to get out of your car to refuel or pay

Only in Oregon and New Jersey, those are the only states that still
mandate Full Service.
Old August 23rd 10, 02:55 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,misc.legal
Paul Robinson

On Jul 22, 3:57*pm, LM > wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 09:45:00 -0700, Steve B wrote:
> > You cited about 5 gallon containers for handling. *
> > Nothing stated there about storage.

> I'm trying. I really am. I want to know myself what the law is.
>
> I gave up on the California DOT (aka Caltrans) web site as its search
> mechanism is a mess.
>
> I googled for "California law gasoline portable storage container
> transportation and storage"

Try "California definition "hazardous waste"

This site

http://ccelearn.csus.edu/wasteclass/mod2/mod2_01.html

gave this definition:

“waste” is a material that has been used or has otherwise served its
intended purpose and, for whatever reason, can or will no longer be
used. In the Title 22 CCR, a waste is defined as any discarded
material (in any form, such as solid, liquid, semi-solid, or contained
gas) that is not excluded by Section 66261.4(a), 66261.4(e), or
25143.2(b) or 25143.2(d).

So my prior comment was correct: as long as it is still fit for use
and is not effectively "discarded" it's not waste. Now what you have
to worry about is the limit for storing inflammables.

This search

california maximum gasoline storage limit

Produced this page from Chevron:
http://www.chevron.com/products/prod...g_storage.aspx

With this quote:

One and two and five gallon containers should carry a sticker
indicating they are approved for gasoline storage by the Underwriters
Laboratories (UL). A plastic container has the advantage that it will
not rust if the gasoline is contaminated with water or if the
container is stored in a wet place.

A 60-gallon metal drum is the only container approved by the Uniform
Fire Code for the storage of more than five gallons of gasoline.

The Uniform Fire Code limits the amount of gasoline in residential
buildings to the amount "necessary for maintenance purposes and
operation of equipment," not to exceed a maximum of 25 gallons.

Note that local Fire Department regulations may supersede the Uniform
Fire Code. When storing more that five gallons of gasoline it is best
to check with your local Fire Department for local regulations.

So there is no problem for 5 gallons, you probably won't have a
problem up to 25 - which is 5 five-gallon cans - but if it's more than
that you are going to need to use a drum and probably a local permit
or ok from the Fire Marshall.
Old August 24th 10, 02:17 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Last week, an 18 wheeler tanker truck carrying gasoline overturned on a
highway not far from me.That happened in the afternoon.It was late at
night time before they got it cleaned up and opened up that section of
the highway.
cuhulin

Old August 24th 10, 03:42 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,misc.legal
Ed Pawlowski[_2_]

"Paul Robinson" > wrote

> Try "California definition "hazardous waste"
>
> This site
>
> http://ccelearn.csus.edu/wasteclass/mod2/mod2_01.html
>
> gave this definition:
>
> “waste” is a material that has been used or has otherwise served its
> intended purpose and, for whatever reason, can or will no longer be
> used.

Similar rules in MA. We can have all the hydraulic oil we want to have in
machines. We can have drums of new oil to replace it with as needed. But,
as soon as we take it out of a machine and put it back in a drum, it becomes
hazardous waste, needs permitting to store and dispose of and has limits on
how much we can have (3 drums in our case). Disposal must be with a
licensed hauler, etc.

Old August 24th 10, 02:11 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,misc.legal
HeyBub[_3_]

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Similar rules in MA. We can have all the hydraulic oil we want to
> have in machines. We can have drums of new oil to replace it with as
> needed. But, as soon as we take it out of a machine and put it back
> in a drum, it becomes hazardous waste, needs permitting to store and
> dispose of and has limits on how much we can have (3 drums in our
> case). Disposal must be with a licensed hauler, etc.

Strange. Don't the storm drains in your neighborhood need lubricating?

Old September 13th 15, 01:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

I just ordered a 100 gal tank for my pick up, with an adapter that has a check valve that connects directly to the fill tube and gravity fed. Fill your truck and then your tank it will continue to fill your truck so when the factory gauge drops it is when the aux tank is empty and on your truck tank only