Replacing a E46 Exhaust

Old August 6th 07, 09:27 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Mick[_2_]

Default Replacing a E46 Exhaust

Took my 1999 car in for an oil service last week and when I went to pick it
up the dealer gave me an 'advisory' item and that was the middle exhaust is
blowing. I can barely hear it when I stand outside the car on idle and not
at all driving it. Anyway asked the dealer how much it would cost to have
this replaced (323SE) and he got back to me today and said the middle and
front section come as complete unit and the fitted cost including VAT would
be £1050 GBP. Ouch me thinks, although the guy said he should be able to
reduce it under the Four Plus scheme. I am going to wait and see what
happens when I take the car in next month for its annual MOT, but would like
to ask people on this group what their thoughts are. Would they go after
market or even mail order if it needs to be done, or is this a false
economy? I have no plans to sell the car, might look at exchanging it in
another 3 years time. Given the original lasted 8.5 years would it be worth
spending that kind of money even if I planed to keep it for another 8.5
years?

Mick

Old August 7th 07, 11:19 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
adder1969

On Aug 6, 9:27 pm, "Mick" > wrote:
> Took my 1999 car in for an oil service last week and when I went to pick it
> up the dealer gave me an 'advisory' item and that was the middle exhaust is
> blowing. I can barely hear it when I stand outside the car on idle and not
> at all driving it. Anyway asked the dealer how much it would cost to have
> this replaced (323SE) and he got back to me today and said the middle and
> front section come as complete unit and the fitted cost including VAT would
> be £1050 GBP. Ouch me thinks, although the guy said he should be able to
> reduce it under the Four Plus scheme. I am going to wait and see what
> happens when I take the car in next month for its annual MOT, but would like
> to ask people on this group what their thoughts are. Would they go after
> market or even mail order if it needs to be done, or is this a false
> economy? I have no plans to sell the car, might look at exchanging it in
> another 3 years time. Given the original lasted 8.5 years would it be worth
> spending that kind of money even if I planed to keep it for another 8.5
> years?
>
> Mick

You could get a second hand one from a breakers. That'd be the
cheapest option.
A grand for an exhaust? Even if it's the cat it's a lot of money.

Old August 7th 07, 11:23 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
adder1969

On Aug 7, 11:19 am, adder1969 > wrote:
> On Aug 6, 9:27 pm, "Mick" > wrote:
>

> > Took my 1999 car in for an oil service last week and when I went to pick it
> > up the dealer gave me an 'advisory' item and that was the middle exhaust is
> > blowing. I can barely hear it when I stand outside the car on idle and not
> > at all driving it. Anyway asked the dealer how much it would cost to have
> > this replaced (323SE) and he got back to me today and said the middle and
> > front section come as complete unit and the fitted cost including VAT would
> > be £1050 GBP. Ouch me thinks, although the guy said he should be able to
> > reduce it under the Four Plus scheme. I am going to wait and see what
> > happens when I take the car in next month for its annual MOT, but would like
> > to ask people on this group what their thoughts are. Would they go after
> > market or even mail order if it needs to be done, or is this a false
> > economy? I have no plans to sell the car, might look at exchanging it in
> > another 3 years time. Given the original lasted 8.5 years would it be worth
> > spending that kind of money even if I planed to keep it for another 8.5
> > years?

> > Mick

> You could get a second hand one from a breakers. That'd be the
> cheapest option.
> A grand for an exhaust? Even if it's the cat it's a lot of money.- Hide quoted text -

Is it this?
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...& hg=18&fg=10

In which case it includes the cats. If it were me I'd split it and
put in an aftermarket box, or no box at all.

Old August 7th 07, 09:06 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Mick[_2_]

Is it this?
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...& hg=18&fg=10

In which case it includes the cats. If it were me I'd split it and
put in an aftermarket box, or no box at all.

It could be mines a saloon and the one you link to is the coupe. Thanks for
your response.

Old August 7th 07, 09:19 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
John[_2_]

What does "Blowing" A hole in the exhaust pipe? Get under the car and see
what happening. If it's a hole, use muffler tape to fix it.

"Mick" > wrote in message
> Took my 1999 car in for an oil service last week and when I went to pick
> it up the dealer gave me an 'advisory' item and that was the middle
> exhaust is blowing. I can barely hear it when I stand outside the car on
> idle and not at all driving it. Anyway asked the dealer how much it would
> cost to have this replaced (323SE) and he got back to me today and said
> the middle and front section come as complete unit and the fitted cost
> including VAT would be £1050 GBP. Ouch me thinks, although the guy said
> he should be able to reduce it under the Four Plus scheme. I am going to
> wait and see what happens when I take the car in next month for its annual
> MOT, but would like to ask people on this group what their thoughts are.
> Would they go after market or even mail order if it needs to be done, or
> is this a false economy? I have no plans to sell the car, might look at
> exchanging it in another 3 years time. Given the original lasted 8.5
> years would it be worth spending that kind of money even if I planed to
> keep it for another 8.5 years?
>

> Mick

So,What's Replacing The Ion? teem Saturn 11 May 3rd 07 01:41 AM
'98 TJ- Help replacing cat GTK Jeep 5 November 6th 06 02:49 PM
LSD needs replacing?? adla11 Technology 9 September 30th 06 04:20 AM
replacing '87 Golf exhaust mkl1 VW water cooled 2 September 25th 05 11:48 AM
Anyone have instructions or link for replacing exhaust manifold on a 4.0L FI [email protected] Jeep 2 April 3rd 05 04:16 AM