41 MPG city Fusion Hybrid more efficient than Camry Hybrid's 33 MPG

Old January 11th 09, 09:12 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.tech
ransley

Default 41 MPG city Fusion Hybrid more efficient than Camry Hybrid's 33MPG

On Jan 10, 1:00*pm, wrote:
> So who still wants a Prius?
>
> "The hybrid system for the Fusion and Milan hybrids supports operation
> in all-electric mode at speeds of up to 47 mph; a smaller, lighter
> NiMH high-volt battery has greater charge capacity and range than the
> previous generation battery. The hybrids have a range of more than 700
> miles of city driving on a single tank of gas."
>
> http://www.greencarcongress.com/2008...ord-fusio.html
>
> "With those numbers, the Fusion Hybrid will be America's most fuel
> efficient mid-size car, topping its chief competitor -- the Toyota
> Camry Hybrid -- by 8 mpg in the city and 2 mpg on the highway."
>
> http://blogs.edmunds.com/greencaradv...tes-2010-ford-...

The hype is great, then there is reality. The prius is proven the ford
is not.
Old January 12th 09, 03:07 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.tech
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 20:11:22 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
> wrote:

>In article >,
> "Fred" > wrote:
>
>> Glad to see Ford is working on this. I wouldn't want
>> a Prius if you gave it to me.

>Why not?

The front seats have no lower back support.
Old January 12th 09, 04:22 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.tech
Derek Gee

"57states" > wrote in message
> Buy a prius and make a fashion statement, oh so cool baby.

They're the leading cause of smug, you know.

Derek

Old January 12th 09, 09:47 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.tech
Dave D

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Mike Hunter" <mikehunt2@lycos/com> wrote:
>
>> Wanna bet? Apparently you have not owed a Ford lately.

> Ford, GM, and Chrysler spent years and years and billions of dollars
> conditioning me to expect that they simply don't give a **** about the
> consumer--not enough to design a car well, to build a car well, or to
> service the car at all after the sale. And now all of the sudden YOU
> (of ALL people!) expect me to believe that "things have changed"?
>
> I call bull****. Fool me once, Ford, shame on you. Fool me twice...

From the tenor of your posts, I would conclude that you must have been
fooled thousands of times.

>> He took a test ride and drove home with a V6
>> Milan for around $6,000 less than an another V6 Camry.

> And dog food costs a whole lot less than roast beef. What's your point?
> That we should eat dog food just because one idiot thought it was a good

Using your logic then, we should buy a Prius just because one idiot thinks
its a good idea?

>> The salesman said
>> it was the first time he ever sold a car of the truck

> BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I bet it was! Meantime, I
> deal with a Honda salesman who was selling 78 Civics off the truck while
> it was still on its way to the dealership. Same with 99-04 Odysseys.
> It seems this is a ritual with Honda, but an ENTIRELY NEW THING for your
> Ford salesman, eh?
>
> That's no surprise.

So now you are comparing Hondas with Toyotas? Is that what is meant by
apples and oranges or in this case automobiles (78 Civics) and Japanese
Junkers (Toyota Priuses)? What a bozo!!!

DaveD

Old January 12th 09, 12:54 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.tech
C. E. White[_1_]

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote in message
> In article
> >,
> Jeff > wrote:
>
>> > People who want a car that's comfortable, that works well for a
>> > long
>> > time, that isn't kludgy, and that is backed by a company that
>> > doesn't
>> > say "**** you, you bought it, now it's your problem" after the
>> > sale?
>> >
>> > I'd give up a mile per gallon for that.

>> Well, you get with the Fusion Hybrid.

> You get comfort? A car that works well for a long time (as in 10-20
> years)? Backed by a company that doesn't tell you to **** off when
> your
> transmission falls out at 37K miles?

I get so tired of this crap. I've been around many Fords, GMs,
Toyotas, and Nissans. The difference in reliability and longevity
among them is trival. The worst car I ever owned was a POS Toyota. The
best vehicle I have ever owned may well be my current Fusion, but it
is to soon to tell. So far it has 40K miles, has never needed any
repair of any sort. The Fusion is very comfortable, gets decent
mileage, and has good power. An all around good car. I'll admit the
longest I've ever kept a vehicle was 14 years (1992 F150), so I don't
have much experience with 20 year old vehicles. But then I don't know
anyone else who does either. I have known one person who managed to
keep a Toyota running for 10 years and 200k miles, but it was not
exactly the trouble free experience the Toyota fanatics would like to
claim (i.e., it was an oil leaking, smoking, unreliable, rusting money
pit for the last 50k). And my Sister just moved on after 10 years and
150k miles with a Civic. It was an OK car when new, but in the end it
was undrivable as far as I was concenred.

> No, you don't get any of that from Ford.

My experience with car dealers is not that good, no matter the brand,
with the possible exception of Honda. Many years ago one of my
co-workers had a first generation Accord. It was a real POS. While I
worked with him he had to have two head gaskets replaced, both front
fenders replaced due to rust, and the transmission rebuilt. BUT, Honda
covered it all, so he always talked about how great the car was. The
fact is, it was a POS, and spent more time in the shop than any car I
have ever owned, but he didn't care because Honda took care of him
(well except co-workers had to drag his butt back and forth to the
Honda dealer regularly to pick up / drop off the car). I have no idea
if Honda is still that good. And I don't know how Ford treats its
Customers either, since I haven't had that needed a transmission or
any other major item replaced on a Ford in decades. I did have to pay
to replace the fuel pump on the 1992 F150 after 12 years, so should I
rant at Ford for not doing it for free?

Ed

Old January 12th 09, 02:51 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.tech
Dyno

ransley wrote:
> On Jan 10, 1:00 pm, wrote:
>> So who still wants a Prius?
>>
>> "The hybrid system for the Fusion and Milan hybrids supports operation
>> in all-electric mode at speeds of up to 47 mph; a smaller, lighter
>> NiMH high-volt battery has greater charge capacity and range than the
>> previous generation battery. The hybrids have a range of more than 700
>> miles of city driving on a single tank of gas."
>>
>> http://www.greencarcongress.com/2008...ord-fusio.html
>>
>> "With those numbers, the Fusion Hybrid will be America's most fuel
>> efficient mid-size car, topping its chief competitor -- the Toyota
>> Camry Hybrid -- by 8 mpg in the city and 2 mpg on the highway."
>>
>> http://blogs.edmunds.com/greencaradv...tes-2010-ford-...

> The hype is great, then there is reality. The prius is proven the ford
> is not.

According to the latest Car & Driver's real-world testing of four
mid-sized hybrids: Chevrolet Malibu, Nissan Altima, Ford Fusion, and
Toyota Camry, the Ford Fusion did produce the best overall fuel economy.
Old January 12th 09, 03:26 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.tech
C. E. White[_1_]

> [...]
> In article <496b3da3$1@kcnews01>,
> "C. E. White" > wrote:
>
>> > You get comfort? A car that works well for a long time (as in
>> > 10-20
>> > years)? Backed by a company that doesn't tell you to **** off
>> > when
>> > your
>> > transmission falls out at 37K miles?

>> I get so tired of this crap.

> Yeah, me too. That's why I don't buy from the Detroit 3.
>

>> My experience with car dealers is not that good, no matter the
>> brand,
>> with the possible exception of Honda. Many years ago one of my
>> co-workers had a first generation Accord. It was a real POS. While
>> worked with him he had to have two head gaskets replaced, both
>> front
>> fenders replaced due to rust, and the transmission rebuilt. BUT,
>> Honda
>> covered it all, so he always talked about how great the car was.

> That's why I buy Honda. And what your friend was saying was, owning
> car is much more than physical possession. It's everything
> surrounding
> it--and if it does need work, at least he's not hassled by the
> manufacturer who plainly didn't do their homework in the design.
>
> I, too, have had Honda own up to several design flaws over the last
> 30
> years, and have also had them be liberal in acknowledging when a
> part
> shouldn't have failed and they go ahead and cover the repair--even
> well
> out of warranty.
>
> But then, a good relationship with the dealership service department
> helps tremendously.
>

>> I have no idea
>> if Honda is still that good.

> Oh yes.
>

>> I did have to pay
>> to replace the fuel pump on the 1992 F150 after 12 years, so should
>> rant at Ford for not doing it for free?

> I don't think so, but others may disagree. The real question is
> what
> does Ford say when you're at 35K miles and 40 months and that repair
> needs to happen? They tell you to **** off, you're out of
> warranty--that's what happens. That's not how Honda does business.
>
> Honda funds a certain amount of money per dealership every month, to
> cover "goodwill" repairs. It's not carte blanche for the dealership
> use; in theory, it's a partnership between the dealership's service
> manager and the manufacturer's representative. Some dealership
> service
> managers have more flexibility than others, and mine can authorize
> plenty of service from that fund. He has a good reputation both
> with
> customers and with American Honda, and he finds it incredibly easy
> get "forgiveness" later and not have to ask permission up front.
>
> What system does Ford have in place for handling "goodwill" service?

I wouldn't know, since I've never needed to ask for any. I know the
Toyota dealers are more than willing to tell you to get lost. And
honestly, are Hondas that sorry that they need to routinely fund
"goodwill" repairs? I know they recalled my Sister's old Honda Civic
to fix the crappy exhaust system when it was around 8 years old, but
they didn't fix the crummy paint, or crumbling plastic in the
interior, the oil leaking engine, or the fogged out headlights.
Should we have expected Honda to fix all these things for free? The
difference in "quality" between by sister's 10 year old Honda and my
14 year old F150 was dramatic. The 14 year old F150 (a farm truck that
had been beat to death) was in far better condition than the 10 year
old Honda that had never been off a paved road. The F150 had no oil
leaks, decent paint (both vehicles were white), decent ride and
handling, etc. And the F150 cost much less when new! The only
advantage the Honda had was that it got much better gas mileage. I did
have to replace the fuel pump and alternator on the F150, but then I
had to replace the Honda's exhaust muffler twice before it was
recalled and the ignition wiring once (at a ridiculously high price).

Ed

Old January 12th 09, 03:43 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech
Mike Hunter[_2_]

Me thinks that is why they post in the NGs of domestics. They are trying
to convince themselves that the 20% to 30% more the spent to buy their
Toyota, that proved to not be the better vehicle they were led to believe,
was not a waist of money.

Old January 12th 09, 03:55 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,rec.autos.tech
Mike Hunter[_2_]

That may be your opinion but it was a Toyota salesmen and your opinion is
that of a minority, it seems.

Every buyer is sure the model and brand that makes them happy is the one
they buy. THAT is why every buyer chooses to buy what they buy..
However, the fact is Ford sells far more vehicles to happy buyers than does
Honda. LOL