Transporting 20 gallons of gas in your trunk and storing in your back yard in the open air question

Old July 21st 10, 01:34 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Bill Murphy

Default Transporting 20 gallons of gas in your trunk and storing in your back yard in the open air question

I have a typical back yard, open mostly to the sun, where I store five
5-gallon jerry jugs of gasoline for my bikes and equipment and off-road
vehicles.

I don't see that it's all that much of a danger, considering we keep two
cars in the garage with twice that much gasoline essentially inside the
house - while this is outside along the fence.

But, my neighbor noticed the four jugs recently and asked about them. I
said I never knew gas to spontaneously explode and he said the sun could
cause it to happen. He also said it's illegal to transport more than a
single five-gallon can in your trunk (is that true?).

Is it all that dangerous to keep 20 gallons of gas in the back yard?
Is it illegal to trasnsport more than 5 gallons (California) in a car?
Old July 21st 10, 01:47 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Default Transporting 20 gallons of gas in your trunk and storing inyou...

Free gas, anybody?
cuhulin

Old July 21st 10, 02:00 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

You could build, or buy a simple little shed to store the gas.That is
what I would do.
cuhulin

Old July 21st 10, 02:06 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Frank

On 7/20/2010 8:34 PM, Bill Murphy wrote:
> I have a typical back yard, open mostly to the sun, where I store five
> 5-gallon jerry jugs of gasoline for my bikes and equipment and off-road
> vehicles.
>
> I don't see that it's all that much of a danger, considering we keep two
> cars in the garage with twice that much gasoline essentially inside the
> house - while this is outside along the fence.
>
> But, my neighbor noticed the four jugs recently and asked about them. I
> said I never knew gas to spontaneously explode and he said the sun could
> cause it to happen. He also said it's illegal to transport more than a
> single five-gallon can in your trunk (is that true?).
>
> Is it all that dangerous to keep 20 gallons of gas in the back yard?
> Is it illegal to trasnsport more than 5 gallons (California) in a car?

It's a local thing:

http://cbs4.com/hurricanepreps/gasol....2.394472.html
Old July 21st 10, 02:10 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
willy[_2_]

My concern is with all the fumes. It won't explode from the sun, but
it would be better out of the sun. Less fumes and less volitable.
Old July 21st 10, 02:13 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
willy[_2_]

Storing gasoline and other highly flammable liquids at home is also
dangerous if not done properly. The best way to store gasoline is in a
well ventilated area separate from the house. The location should have
no electrical equipment, open flames or other sources of ignition
present. In addition, the location should be protected from the heat
of the summer sun to keep evaporation to a minimum.

http://nasdonline.org/document/919/d...lammables.html
Old July 21st 10, 02:27 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
JoeSpareBedroom[_2_]

"willy" > wrote in message
> My concern is with all the fumes. It won't explode from the sun, but
> it would be better out of the sun. Less fumes and less volitable.

Less expansion & contraction of the containers if out of the sun. I've seen
some plastic jugs which looked like they'd been squeezed by giant hands when
the temp went down.

Old July 21st 10, 02:48 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_4_]

On 7/20/2010 2:34 PM, Bill Murphy wrote:
> I have a typical back yard, open mostly to the sun, where I store five
> 5-gallon jerry jugs of gasoline for my bikes and equipment and off-road
> vehicles.
>
> I don't see that it's all that much of a danger, considering we keep two
> cars in the garage with twice that much gasoline essentially inside the
> house - while this is outside along the fence.
>
> But, my neighbor noticed the four jugs recently and asked about them. I
> said I never knew gas to spontaneously explode and he said the sun could
> cause it to happen. He also said it's illegal to transport more than a
> single five-gallon can in your trunk (is that true?).
>
> Is it all that dangerous to keep 20 gallons of gas in the back yard?
> Is it illegal to trasnsport more than 5 gallons (California) in a car?

Buy an old Caddie or two, fill up the tanks and park it in your back
yard along with your bikes and off-road vehicles. Tell your nosy
neighbor to mind his own business.
Old July 21st 10, 02:52 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
HeyBub[_3_]

Bill Murphy wrote:
> I have a typical back yard, open mostly to the sun, where I store five
> 5-gallon jerry jugs of gasoline for my bikes and equipment and
> off-road vehicles.
>
> I don't see that it's all that much of a danger, considering we keep
> two cars in the garage with twice that much gasoline essentially
> inside the house - while this is outside along the fence.
>
> But, my neighbor noticed the four jugs recently and asked about them.
> I said I never knew gas to spontaneously explode and he said the sun
> could cause it to happen. He also said it's illegal to transport more
> than a single five-gallon can in your trunk (is that true?).
>
> Is it all that dangerous to keep 20 gallons of gas in the back yard?
> Is it illegal to trasnsport more than 5 gallons (California) in a car?

I'd be more concerned about the buttinsky neighbor than the gasoline.

Old July 21st 10, 02:56 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Tony Hwang

Bill Murphy wrote:
> I have a typical back yard, open mostly to the sun, where I store five
> 5-gallon jerry jugs of gasoline for my bikes and equipment and off-road
> vehicles.
>
> I don't see that it's all that much of a danger, considering we keep two
> cars in the garage with twice that much gasoline essentially inside the
> house - while this is outside along the fence.
>
> But, my neighbor noticed the four jugs recently and asked about them. I
> said I never knew gas to spontaneously explode and he said the sun could
> cause it to happen. He also said it's illegal to transport more than a
> single five-gallon can in your trunk (is that true?).
>
> Is it all that dangerous to keep 20 gallons of gas in the back yard?
> Is it illegal to trasnsport more than 5 gallons (California) in a car?

Hi,
First are you using legal explosion proof container to increase safety
margin? Do you smell gas when your car is parked in the garage? Better
be safe than sorry applies here.