2012 Ford Focus Gets 40 MPG Highway, Pressuring Hybrids

Old September 30th 10, 03:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota.prius,alt.autos.lexus
Scott Dorsey

Default 2012 Ford Focus Gets 40 MPG Highway, Pressuring Hybrids

Elmo P. Shagnasty > wrote:

>What YOU'RE saying is that you want today's engines in yesterdays's
>chassis, without any modern safety items. And without any features that
>people are asking for more and more, all of which up the weight.

Me too! That is _exactly_ what I want!
And Ariel is selling it!
--scott
Old September 30th 10, 03:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota.prius,alt.autos.lexus
Brent[_4_]

On 2010-09-30, Bill > wrote:

> I see! I have been looking for newer cars to have better gas mileage... I
> should have been looking at OLDER 1980's cars!

Less weight to pull around. As time goes on more and more weight is
mandated for various things like tire pressure monitors, safety devices
and so forth plus all the market demands for gizmos and creature
comforts. Strip that away by a couple decades and even with an old
technology fuel sipping engine the mpg can be rather high.

Old September 30th 10, 03:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 09/30/2010 03:20 AM, dr_jeff wrote:
> On 9/30/10 12:56 AM, chuckcar wrote:
>> > wrote in

> <...>
>
>> *Maybe* for US owned car companies and only such cars. Hardly earth
>> shaking milage. 70Mpg is quite doable now with diesels.

> Diesel is also more energy dense than gasoline (one gallon of diesel has
> more energy than one gallon of gasoline) and produces about 15% more CO2
> than gasoline.
>
> Jeff

gallon for gallon, but since it's more thermodynamically efficient and
uses fewer gallons, you'll be emitting less CO₂ per mile.

but we'll never have wide scale adoption of diesel in this country - the
oilco's have a vice-like grip on the gonads of our "representatives".
that's if you can call them gonads. or representatives for that matter.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old September 30th 10, 04:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota.prius,alt.autos.lexus
jim beam[_4_]

On 09/30/2010 03:52 AM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> The 90's era Ford Aspire got 38 mpg... And you would think there would be
>> mileage improvements in newer vehicles - Not!

> Oh, there are mileage improvements. By far.
>
> But they're masked by the weight increases that resulted from more
> safety equipment.
>
> What YOU'RE saying is that you want today's engines in yesterdays's
> chassis

like this?
http://cms.skunk2.com/id/549/Feature...Powered-Civic/

i'm not so wild about the lavender theme, but this kind of motor in an
older lightweight body will give you great gas mileage if driven normally.

Old September 30th 10, 05:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota.prius,alt.autos.lexus
sctvguy1[_2_]

john wrote:

> Ford expects that its 2012 Ford Focus, which will be shown at the
> Paris Motor Show, will get 40 miles per gallon on the highway, an 18%
> improvement over the current model.
>
> That would make the Focus compact car the most fuel-efficient car in
> its class and provide Ford with a marketing tool that fits in with the
> company’s multiyear push to become a fuel economy leader.
>
> “A 40 m.p.g. Focus is going to really put the pressure on hybrids,”
> Bell said.
>
> Read mo 2012 Ford Focus can boast fuel efficiency in its debut |
> freep.com | Detroit Free Press

http://www.freep.com/article/2010092...siness01/2012-
Ford-Focus-can-boast-fuel-efficiency-in-its-debut#ixzz10y52Slmo
The first Dodge Aries was rated at 41mpg with manual shift.
Old September 30th 10, 06:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike

The CAFE tests standards are different today and better reflect the mileage
that the average driver can expect to achieve.

Old September 30th 10, 07:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
zzyzzx

I'd call it a good start, but they can easily do better MPG if they
drop the engine size down to something more reasonable like a 1.6L
engine like my 1985 Escort had.
Old September 30th 10, 07:16 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
zzyzzx

"Ford will show the sedan, hatchback and wagon versions of the Focus,
as well as a performance version called the Focus ST at the Paris
Motor Show today. Ford plans to sell all of those versions except for
the wagon in the U.S."

They really should sell the wagon version in the US. I hope 2 door
hatchback versions are available as well.
Old September 30th 10, 08:16 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Didn't Volkswagen build some diesel engine cars rated at about 70 MPG?
cuhulin

Old September 30th 10, 11:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
M.A. Stewart

dr_jeff ) writes:
> On 9/30/10 12:56 AM, chuckcar wrote:
>> > wrote in

> <...>

Is that 40 MPG U.S. gallons or Imperial gallons?

>> *Maybe* for US owned car companies and only such cars. Hardly earth
>> shaking milage. 70Mpg is quite doable now with diesels.

> Diesel is also more energy dense than gasoline (one gallon of diesel has
> more energy than one gallon of gasoline) and produces about 15% more CO2
> than gasoline.
>
> Jeff

The implication that carbon dioxide is bad, is ass-backward enviro-weenie
stuff... if you want clean exhaust, you want MORE CO2!

Perfect clean combustion;

HC's+O2=H2O+CO2
(hydrocarbons plus oxygen equals water vapour plus colourless odourless gas)

Imperfect not-clean combustion;

HC's+O2=C+CO+CO2+H+HC's+H2O+O+O2

All the atoms on either side of the equal sign add up to the same number of
atoms. i.e.... X amount of atoms = X amount of atoms. It's called
"conservation of matter"... "atoms can not be destroyed nor can they be
created"... just rearranged (different molecules and possibly free
elements [atoms]).

If I make a loaf of bread 15% larger... 15% more CO2 is produced by the
yeast. If I open 7 bottles of beer instead of 6 bottles, 15% more CO2 is
released.

78.3 mpg Ford Focus lbutton Saturn 2 July 17th 08 01:07 PM
78.3 MPG FORD FOCUS lbutton Technology 1 July 4th 08 11:06 PM
78.3 mpg Ford Focus lbutton Driving 1 July 4th 08 02:51 AM
Any new high mpg hybrids coming out in 2008 [email protected] Honda 0 September 5th 07 05:44 PM
Hybrids vs High MPG Conventional Cars? Steve[_38_] General 8 June 8th 07 07:07 PM