2012 Ford Focus Gets 40 MPG Highway, Pressuring Hybrids

Old October 1st 10, 01:08 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota.prius,alt.autos.lexus
chuckcar

Default 2012 Ford Focus Gets 40 MPG Highway, Pressuring Hybrids

Mark > wrote in
:

> That's hardly amazing, my 87 Camry would do well over 40.

I can even beat that: My physics teacher in HS had a diesel civic that
did 50 Mpg (Imperial) and that was pre-1980.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
Old October 1st 10, 03:16 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota.prius,alt.autos.lexus
Cathy F.[_7_]

On Sep 29, 7:26 pm, john > wrote:
> Ford expects that its 2012 Ford Focus, which will be shown at the
> Paris Motor Show, will get 40 miles per gallon on the highway, an 18%
> improvement over the current model.
>
> That would make the Focus compact car the most fuel-efficient car in
> its class and provide Ford with a marketing tool that fits in with the
> company’s multiyear push to become a fuel economy leader.
>
> “A 40 m.p.g. Focus is going to really put the pressure on hybrids,”
> Bell said.

Good grief... My 05 Corolla gets better than 40 mpg, and it's
not even a hybrid.. :/
That's why I bought it over the U.S. made cars built at that
time.. None of the equal size domestics could match the gas
mileage of the Corolla. At 65 mph, which is the night limit
on the interstate I drive, I get 43+ mpg.
At 70 mph, I get about 41 mpg. With a loaded down car and
the A/C on to boot..
If they think that Focus is going to be equal to a Prius as
far as gas mileage, I have some oceanfront property in
west Texas I'd like to show to prospective buyers..
I don't see it, being as it's barely in the league of my lowly
Corolla, much less the hybrid Prius. Next..

I'm all for Ford - or anyone else - finally getting their cars' mileage
where it should/could be. As to the Prius' MPG...

I keep seeing 44 mpg listed as the expected deal for a Prius. Huh. Mine (a
2010, bought Oct. '09) usually averages 50 mpg around town & just out of
town. On longer trips it gets 51-53 mpg. And, for the last 2 weeks, for
some reason it's been getting 51-56 combined. :-) Maybe the temp's optimum
now for extra-good gas mileage - not sure why. And no, I don't drive under
the speed limit or anything; I just... drive. Plus, the day I got an avg.
of 56 mpg on an out-of-town trip, I was using the "Power" mode sometimes
'cause of some hilly terrain.

Old October 1st 10, 03:18 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota.prius,alt.autos.lexus
Cathy F.[_7_]

Re-posting, since quote marks didn't 'take' on previous reply....

Old October 1st 10, 04:35 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota.prius,alt.autos.lexus
Ron Peterson

On Sep 29, 7:26*pm, john > wrote:

> “A 40 m.p.g. Focus is going to really put the pressure on hybrids,”
> Bell said.

Direct fuel injection is improving the mpg of a number of vehicles.
Hybrid technology can improve that.

--
Ron
Old October 1st 10, 04:48 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota.prius,alt.autos.lexus
jim beam[_4_]

On 09/30/2010 08:35 PM, Ron Peterson wrote:
> On Sep 29, 7:26�pm, > wrote:
>
>> �A 40 m.p.g. Focus is going to really put the pressure on hybrids,�
>> Bell said.

> Direct fuel injection is improving the mpg of a number of vehicles.

indeed. but diesel is a better solution.

> Hybrid technology can improve that.
>
> --
> Ron

c.v.t. and lighter weight vehicles can get there much cheaper than
hybrids. and without the toxic battery chemicals needing to be produced.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old October 1st 10, 06:01 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota.prius,alt.autos.lexus
Leftie

jim beam wrote:
> On 09/30/2010 08:35 PM, Ron Peterson wrote:
>> On Sep 29, 7:26�pm, > wrote:
>>
>>> �A 40 m.p.g. Focus is going to really put the pressure on hybrids,�
>>> Bell said.

>> Direct fuel injection is improving the mpg of a number of vehicles.

> indeed. but diesel is a better solution.
>

>> Hybrid technology can improve that.
>>
>> --
>> Ron

> c.v.t. and lighter weight vehicles can get there much cheaper than
> hybrids. and without the toxic battery chemicals needing to be produced.

NiMH batteries aren't especially toxic. They aren't really suitable
for EVs (although you could use them for tiny ones) but they work just
fine in the Prius hybrids.
Old October 1st 10, 11:09 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota.prius,alt.autos.lexus
dr_jeff

On 9/30/10 11:48 PM, jim beam wrote:
> On 09/30/2010 08:35 PM, Ron Peterson wrote:
>> On Sep 29, 7:26�pm, > wrote:
>>
>>> �A 40 m.p.g. Focus is going to really put the pressure on hybrids,�
>>> Bell said.

>> Direct fuel injection is improving the mpg of a number of vehicles.

> indeed. but diesel is a better solution.
>

>> Hybrid technology can improve that.
>>
>> --
>> Ron

> c.v.t. and lighter weight vehicles can get there much cheaper than
> hybrids. and without the toxic battery chemicals needing to be produced.

Hybrid vehicles usually use CVTs.

Hydrids improve on the mileage of vehicals, at an environmental cost.

Of course, a much better way is to walk or ride your bike. That doesn't
work for long distances or nasty weather.

Jeff

Old October 1st 10, 11:11 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota.prius,alt.autos.lexus
dr_jeff

On 10/1/10 1:01 AM, Leftie wrote:
> jim beam wrote:

>>> Direct fuel injection is improving the mpg of a number of vehicles.

>> indeed. but diesel is a better solution.
>>

>>> Hybrid technology can improve that.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ron

>> c.v.t. and lighter weight vehicles can get there much cheaper than
>> hybrids. and without the toxic battery chemicals needing to be produced.
>>

> NiMH batteries aren't especially toxic. They aren't really suitable for
> EVs (although you could use them for tiny ones) but they work just fine
> in the Prius hybrids.

Except that there is a major environmental cost of getting the metals
out of the ground. I haven't seen a proper accounting of the
environmental cost, however.
Old October 1st 10, 12:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota.prius,alt.autos.lexus
Roger Blake[_2_]

On 2010-10-01, jim beam > wrote:
> indeed. but diesel is a better solution.

I don't see any particular need for massive mpg improvements. I get
about 14-15 mpg on a good day and that's plenty good enough for me.
(But hey, if you want to drive some pregnant roller skate with
1/2 an engine that's your business, just don't force it on me.)

--
Roger Blake
(Change "invalid" to "com" for email. Google Groups killfiled due to spam.)
Old October 1st 10, 12:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota.prius,alt.autos.lexus
dr_jeff

On 10/1/10 7:33 AM, Roger Blake wrote:
> On 2010-10-01, jim > wrote:
>> indeed. but diesel is a better solution.

> I don't see any particular need for massive mpg improvements. I get
> about 14-15 mpg on a good day and that's plenty good enough for me.
> (But hey, if you want to drive some pregnant roller skate with
> 1/2 an engine that's your business, just don't force it on me.)

Oil is mostly imported, so better mileage is good for the economy.

Oil is a limited natural resource, so the more wisely we use energy,
including oil, the longer it will last.

And then there is global warming.

Jeff

78.3 mpg Ford Focus lbutton Saturn 2 July 17th 08 01:07 PM
78.3 MPG FORD FOCUS lbutton Technology 1 July 4th 08 11:06 PM
78.3 mpg Ford Focus lbutton Driving 1 July 4th 08 02:51 AM
Any new high mpg hybrids coming out in 2008 [email protected] Honda 0 September 5th 07 05:44 PM
Hybrids vs High MPG Conventional Cars? Steve[_38_] General 8 June 8th 07 07:07 PM