outside brake pad more worn?

Old March 31st 11, 11:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
George[_23_]

Default outside brake pad more worn?

('04 Cavalier, but I think I've seen this in other Cavs over the years.)

This car has single-piston disk brakes in the front. The piston pushes
on the inside pad. But, the outside pad had much more wear. For the
outside pad to operate, AIUI, the piston pushes the inside pad against
the rotor, and the reaction pushes the piston & caliper inward,
resulting in the outer pad pushing against the other side of the rotor.

So, how can the outer pad wear, without corresponding wear on the inside
pad?
Old March 31st 11, 11:27 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 03/31/2011 06:26 PM, George wrote:
> ('04 Cavalier, but I think I've seen this in other Cavs over the years.)
>
> This car has single-piston disk brakes in the front. The piston pushes
> on the inside pad. But, the outside pad had much more wear. For the
> outside pad to operate, AIUI, the piston pushes the inside pad against
> the rotor, and the reaction pushes the piston& caliper inward,
> resulting in the outer pad pushing against the other side of the rotor.
>
> So, how can the outer pad wear, without corresponding wear on the inside
> pad?

sticky sliders, would be my first guess.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old March 31st 11, 11:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
George[_23_]

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 18:27:56 -0400, Nate Nagel >
wrote:

>On 03/31/2011 06:26 PM, George wrote:
>> ('04 Cavalier, but I think I've seen this in other Cavs over the years.)
>>
>> This car has single-piston disk brakes in the front. The piston pushes
>> on the inside pad. But, the outside pad had much more wear. For the
>> outside pad to operate, AIUI, the piston pushes the inside pad against
>> the rotor, and the reaction pushes the piston& caliper inward,
>> resulting in the outer pad pushing against the other side of the rotor.
>>
>> So, how can the outer pad wear, without corresponding wear on the inside
>> pad?

>sticky sliders, would be my first guess.

.... So, the outside pad doesn't release after braking?
Old April 1st 11, 12:04 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brent[_4_]

On 2011-03-31, George > wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 18:27:56 -0400, Nate Nagel >
> wrote:
>
>>On 03/31/2011 06:26 PM, George wrote:
>>> ('04 Cavalier, but I think I've seen this in other Cavs over the years.)
>>>
>>> This car has single-piston disk brakes in the front. The piston pushes
>>> on the inside pad. But, the outside pad had much more wear. For the
>>> outside pad to operate, AIUI, the piston pushes the inside pad against
>>> the rotor, and the reaction pushes the piston& caliper inward,
>>> resulting in the outer pad pushing against the other side of the rotor.
>>>
>>> So, how can the outer pad wear, without corresponding wear on the inside
>>> pad?

>>sticky sliders, would be my first guess.

> ... So, the outside pad doesn't release after braking?

yep. The caliper body doesn't move back.

Old April 1st 11, 12:11 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

George > wrote in
:

> ('04 Cavalier, but I think I've seen this in other Cavs over the years.)
>
> This car has single-piston disk brakes in the front. The piston pushes
> on the inside pad. But, the outside pad had much more wear. For the
> outside pad to operate, AIUI, the piston pushes the inside pad against
> the rotor, and the reaction pushes the piston & caliper inward,
> resulting in the outer pad pushing against the other side of the rotor.
>
> So, how can the outer pad wear, without corresponding wear on the inside
> pad?

Inner pad is stuck.

Think about it. The outer pad only receives pressure once the caliper has
slid inboard in response to the inner pad's having contacted the rotor.
That's what "floating" means.

The caliper piston presses directly on the inner pad. If the inner pad
cannot press against the rotor, all the inner pad does is serve as a
fulcrum to transfer force to the outer pad.

--
Tegger
Old April 1st 11, 12:53 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"George" > wrote in message
> So, how can the outer pad wear, without corresponding wear on the inside
> pad?

This is not uncommon at all. You will have to do a bit of work.

Clean and lubricate the sliders.. For good measure either replace
or overhaul the calipers..

And then service the pads.

Old April 1st 11, 01:11 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
AMuzi

Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/ wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 18:49:40 -0400, George wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 18:27:56 -0400, Nate Nagel >
>> wrote:

>>> sticky sliders, would be my first guess.

>> ... So, the outside pad doesn't release after braking?

> No, it's held in place by the fingers on the caliper. The caliper is
> mounted on sliding pins. If the pins are stuck, when you hit the brakes,
> the caliper squeezes. It uses the rotation of the disc to move it back
> out, but if the pins are sutck, they won't.
>
> Calipers CAN go bad, but I have some with over 200,000 miles on them
> because they were maintained. You can remove them, wizz them out a little
> with a Dremel and an abrasion 'drum', grease them and have them go for a
> while longer.

a brake hone?

http://image.moparmusclemagazine.com...inder_hone.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>
Old April 1st 11, 01:36 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

=?iso-2022-jp?q?Hachiroku_=1B$B%O%A%m%=2F=1B=28B?= >
wrote in news
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 18:27:56 -0400, Nate Nagel wrote:
>
>> On 03/31/2011 06:26 PM, George wrote:
>>> ('04 Cavalier, but I think I've seen this in other Cavs over the
>>> years.)
>>>
>>> This car has single-piston disk brakes in the front. The piston
>>> pushes on the inside pad. But, the outside pad had much more wear.
>>> For the outside pad to operate, AIUI, the piston pushes the inside
>>> pad against the rotor, and the reaction pushes the piston& caliper
>>> inward, resulting in the outer pad pushing against the other side of
>>> the rotor.
>>>
>>> So, how can the outer pad wear, without corresponding wear on the
>>> inside pad?

>> sticky sliders, would be my first guess.
>>
>> nate

> Mine, too!

No.

--
Tegger
Old April 1st 11, 01:37 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

"hls" > wrote in
news

> And then service the pads.

The inner pad is his problem, not the caliper.

--
Tegger
Old April 1st 11, 02:11 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Paul in Houston TX

Tegger wrote:
> George > wrote in
> :
>
>> ('04 Cavalier, but I think I've seen this in other Cavs over the years.)
>>
>> This car has single-piston disk brakes in the front. The piston pushes
>> on the inside pad. But, the outside pad had much more wear. For the
>> outside pad to operate, AIUI, the piston pushes the inside pad against
>> the rotor, and the reaction pushes the piston & caliper inward,
>> resulting in the outer pad pushing against the other side of the rotor.
>>
>> So, how can the outer pad wear, without corresponding wear on the inside
>> pad?

> Inner pad is stuck.
>
> Think about it. The outer pad only receives pressure once the caliper has
> slid inboard in response to the inner pad's having contacted the rotor.
> That's what "floating" means.
>
> The caliper piston presses directly on the inner pad. If the inner pad
> cannot press against the rotor, all the inner pad does is serve as a
> fulcrum to transfer force to the outer pad.

All the GM;s I have worked on have had free floating inner pads.
It would pretty hard to freeze them up, IMO.