Zippering a 2004 top

Old October 23rd 04, 03:32 AM
blinding

Default Zippering a 2004 top

When I'm running in the desert all day long across country, I often
like to run with the top up and the back window down. You can't run
topless all day or you turn crispy and I'm not usually a big fan of
AC.

How hard is it to add a zipper to a 2004 non-zipper top?

JJ
Old October 23rd 04, 03:16 PM
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
blinding > wrote:

> How hard is it to add a zipper to a 2004 non-zipper top?

I doubt anyone has ever tried. You could find an NA (1990-97) owner who
wants to trade top and frame with you. If you want to keep a glass
window, perhaps an aftermarket NA top will fit your frame.

--
Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
'94C
Old October 23rd 04, 06:30 PM
chuckk

I'm sure that a good top shop can do this! The big issue will be the weight
of the glass window. It's gonna need a very heavy duty zipper!

"Lanny Chambers" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> blinding > wrote:
>
>> How hard is it to add a zipper to a 2004 non-zipper top?

> I doubt anyone has ever tried. You could find an NA (1990-97) owner who
> wants to trade top and frame with you. If you want to keep a glass
> window, perhaps an aftermarket NA top will fit your frame.
>
> --
> Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
> '94C
> the alignment page:
> http://www.hummingbirds.net/alignment.html

---
Outgoing mail is AVG certified Virus Free.

Old October 23rd 04, 09:18 PM
Chris D'Agnolo

A good shop can do anything but finding a good shop that is willing to do it
for a reasonable amount of cash is an entirely different matter. Keep in
mind you can probably recover a good bit of the cost of a zippable glass
window top by selling the top you have. I'm relatively comfortable buying
something when I understand the reason for the sale, that helps allot.

Chris
92BB&T

Old October 24th 04, 12:01 AM
Leon van Dommelen

"chuckk" > wrote:

>I'm sure that a good top shop can do this! The big issue will be the weight
>of the glass window. It's gonna need a very heavy duty zipper!

My, quite big, BSP glass window used the OEM half of the zipper in
my 1996 top, and I had no problems for five years zipping it up
and down on average, say, twice a day. It was fine when I
replaced the top with a 1999+ no zip one.

A zip-down window might not be a bad idea in the desert, though.
I had overheating problems running the AC on Route 66, and
additional natural air circulation would have been welcome.

Leon

>"Lanny Chambers" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> blinding > wrote:
>>
>>> How hard is it to add a zipper to a 2004 non-zipper top?

>> I doubt anyone has ever tried. You could find an NA (1990-97) owner who
>> wants to trade top and frame with you. If you want to keep a glass
>> window, perhaps an aftermarket NA top will fit your frame.
>>
>> --
>> Lanny Chambers, St. Louis, USA
>> '94C
>> the alignment page:
>> http://www.hummingbirds.net/alignment.html

>---
>Outgoing mail is AVG certified Virus Free.

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old October 29th 04, 01:24 AM
letters

As to desert driving, I've done a lot and never really had overheating
problems. That said, removing the front license plate dropped the
gauge from running at about 3/4 when going uphill to hovering only a
little over the center mark as is usual. This was all with it 110
plus through the southwest.

JJ

Old October 29th 04, 08:53 AM
Eric Baber

"letters" > wrote in message
> As to desert driving, I've done a lot and never really had overheating
> problems. That said, removing the front license plate dropped the
> gauge from running at about 3/4 when going uphill to hovering only a
> little over the center mark as is usual.

I don't believe it!!!!! I've been having trouble with my MX5 doing just what
you describe - temp going up to 3/4 when pushing it in hot weather - since I
bought it (a year and a half ago). I've exchanged the thermostat and the the
radiator, and while especially putting in the new rad seemed to make some
difference, it hasn't solved it properly. And now you're saying that the
culprit is the license plate in front of the front air intake!!! Stands to
reason, really. That's where my plate is as well; I won't be able to remove
it completely (in the UK we have to have license plates front and back), but
I'll see if I can move it and if that makes a difference. I'll check
miata.net for pictures/suggestions of alternative fixing of the front
license plate.

I could have saved myself a bit of money if I'd known that earlier.... Ah
well. You live & learn.

Eric

Old November 3rd 04, 04:32 AM
chuckk

I thought that the usual position for a UK plate was above the mouth.

"Eric Baber" > wrote in message
> "letters" > wrote in message
>> As to desert driving, I've done a lot and never really had overheating
>> problems. That said, removing the front license plate dropped the
>> gauge from running at about 3/4 when going uphill to hovering only a
>> little over the center mark as is usual.

> I don't believe it!!!!! I've been having trouble with my MX5 doing just
> what
> you describe - temp going up to 3/4 when pushing it in hot weather - since
> bought it (a year and a half ago). I've exchanged the thermostat and the
> the
> radiator, and while especially putting in the new rad seemed to make some
> difference, it hasn't solved it properly. And now you're saying that the
> culprit is the license plate in front of the front air intake!!! Stands to
> reason, really. That's where my plate is as well; I won't be able to
> remove
> it completely (in the UK we have to have license plates front and back),
> but
> I'll see if I can move it and if that makes a difference. I'll check
> miata.net for pictures/suggestions of alternative fixing of the front
> license plate.
>
> I could have saved myself a bit of money if I'd known that earlier.... Ah
> well. You live & learn.
>
> Eric

---
Outgoing mail is AVG certified Virus Free.

Old November 3rd 04, 09:39 AM
Eric Baber

It is, but mine's a Japanese import.

Eric

Old November 5th 04, 07:59 PM
Me

We're supposed to have the front plate in California as well. "Sorry
officer, it just fell off a few miles back. I'll be sure to replace it
right away sir!" ;-)

I had an argument with someone over the front license plate removal
being a "scientfically ridiculous" overheating solution. They just
would not believe me when I told them that I'd already done it and it
worked. Go figure.

Jon

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 22:32:38 -0500, "chuckk"

looking for 2004 BMW 325i Raj BMW 0 October 19th 04 08:00 PM
Cost of 2004 CR-V, EX, Auto Harvey Cohen Honda 3 September 30th 04 01:09 AM
Mitchell on demand 2004 - 2003, Alldata CD SETs, BMW ETC, General Motors, Ford, BMW, Mercedes, Mercedes Truck, Mini E, Porsche, Saab, Volkswagen, Volvo, AUDI, Jaguar, Land Rover, CHRYSLER DODGE, Peugeot and Renault, Acura Isuzu, Kia, Mitsubishi, Niss vvcd VW water cooled 0 September 19th 04 11:35 PM
FS: 2004 "LOWRIDER" Euro Custom Compact Cars Calendar with Poster J.R. Sinclair General 0 June 28th 04 05:32 AM
2004 Saturn Vue V6 is awsome! Ken R Saturn 9 May 20th 04 03:47 AM