They're MFFYs *Off* the Road, Too

Old September 7th 06, 01:06 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
C. E. White[_1_]

Default They're MFFYs *Off* the Road, Too

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> At the Post Orifice this morning there was this 20something standing
> in front of the "Stamped Mail" slot. She had a handful of letters she
> was mailing (at least 20 envelopes). She was depositing them into the
> slot ONE AT A TIME. After each one, she would pause for a second or
> two, as if to make sure the mail slot didn't spit it back out or
> anything. Then she'd deposit the next one. wait another second or two,
> Ad Nauseum.
>
> As a line began to form behind her, I simply walked up right next to
> her, waited for one of the 1-second pauses, and quickly slipped my one
> letter into the slot. I then immediately turned and left the building.

Did it occur to you that this is exactly the sort of MFFY actions you gripe
about? Maybe the girl at the front of the line was a MFFY person, but what
about all the people in line you cut in front of? What did they do wrong?
And 20 envelopes times 1.5 seconds is 30 seconds...you couldn't wait 30
seconds? And what Post Office only has one slot for mail? The smallest PO I
go to only as one inside slot, but it has two boxes outside. And if you read
the notices, it is often the case that the outside boxes get picked up more
often and later than the inside box.

It seems to me that two MFFY people is worse than one.

Ed

Old September 7th 06, 04:13 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Larry Bud

C. E. White wrote:
> "Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> > At the Post Orifice this morning there was this 20something standing
> > in front of the "Stamped Mail" slot. She had a handful of letters she
> > was mailing (at least 20 envelopes). She was depositing them into the
> > slot ONE AT A TIME. After each one, she would pause for a second or
> > two, as if to make sure the mail slot didn't spit it back out or
> > anything. Then she'd deposit the next one. wait another second or two,
> > Ad Nauseum.
> >
> > As a line began to form behind her, I simply walked up right next to
> > her, waited for one of the 1-second pauses, and quickly slipped my one
> > letter into the slot. I then immediately turned and left the building.

> Did it occur to you that this is exactly the sort of MFFY actions you gripe
> about? Maybe the girl at the front of the line was a MFFY person, but what
> about all the people in line you cut in front of? What did they do wrong?
> And 20 envelopes times 1.5 seconds is 30 seconds...you couldn't wait 30
> seconds?

I agree on this one. Seems to me the woman was a sloth and Scott was
the MFFY.

Old September 7th 06, 04:47 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
C. E. White[_1_]

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message

> This coming from a man who is on record as being an unrepentant LLB.

I am not a Left Lane Bully. On the other hand, I don't respond to those that
are. I aspire to complete all passes in safe and legal manner. I feel no
responsibility for dirivng at excessive speeds becasue a true LLB want to
drive 90 in a 65 zone. I am not going to cut you off if it is obvious you
would catch and pass me before I could complete my pass, but if I catch
someone, or even a line of slower moving cars, and move over to pass them, I
am not going to drive 80 mph in a 65 becasue you came roaring up from behind
me half way through my pass. I am willing to drive 73 in a 65, but not 80.
The only time I have a problem with LLBs is when I pull over to pass a
slower car that speeds up as I am passing them. I have problems in that
situation becasue I won't go more than 8 over the speed limit, so I can get
hung out. Slowing down to drop back in behind the formerly slower car often
causes problems. This is mostly becasue if I slow down to drop back in
behind the formerly slower car one of two bad things often happens - 1) The
formerly slower car slows down along with me so I can't drop behind them (at
which point I try to acclerate quickly to get in front of them so I can move
to the right) or 2) As soon as I slow down in an effort to get behind the
formerly slower car, the LLB switches to the right lane and tries to squeeze
between me and the formerly slower car (and when this happens I just slow
down more so there is an opening, and then I switch back to the right lane
in hopes the formerly slower car latches onto the LLB and gets out of my
way). I do not like having cars tailgate me. I do not like holding up other
people - I am not the law and don't care how fast they drive as long as they
stay the heck out of my way. I never tailgate or flash headlights at Left
Lane Bullies - I figure two jerks is worse than one. If I am trapped behind
a LLB, I'll do my best to get out of your way if you want to be the second
LLB. It has been almost 20 years since I last got a speeding ticket, I'd
like to avoid another. I will ignore you if you tailgate me or flash your
headlights at me, so don't waste your time doing that - I have no desire to
hold you up any longer than necessary to complete my pass in a safe and
mostly legal manner (I say mostly legal becasue driving 8 over is techically
illegaal, but 8 over appears to be acceptable - I know several peopel who
have gotten tickets for 10 over, but none recently for only 8 over). If you
want to go Richard Petty on me, I hope you have good insurance.

Ed

Old September 7th 06, 05:21 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Floyd Rogers[_1_]

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote
> "C. E. White" > said
>>The smallest PO I
>>go to only as one inside slot, but it has two boxes outside.

> It would have taken even longer for me to walk back out, get into my
> car, and drive over to the drive-through mail drop (there are no other
> mailboxes outside). I still like my solution better.

Then Scott would have been a mffy in a car that drives up to
the drop-box and puts it in park to stamp and seal the envelopes
he's brought. Happened to me.

FloydR

Old September 8th 06, 02:09 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Arif Khokar

Larry Bud wrote:

> I agree on this one. Seems to me the woman was a sloth and Scott was
> the MFFY.

Who did Scott inconvenience?
Old September 8th 06, 01:20 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Larry Bud

Arif Khokar wrote:
> Larry Bud wrote:
>
> > I agree on this one. Seems to me the woman was a sloth and Scott was
> > the MFFY.

> Who did Scott inconvenience?

MFFYers don't have to inconvenience anybody. They just believe that
they should be at the front of the line.

Old September 8th 06, 03:15 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Arif Khokar[_1_]

Larry Bud wrote:
> Arif Khokar wrote:
> > Larry Bud wrote:

> > > I agree on this one. Seems to me the woman was a sloth and Scott was
> > > the MFFY.

> > Who did Scott inconvenience?

> MFFYers don't have to inconvenience anybody.

They do. That's what the FY part implies.

> They just believe that they should be at the front of the line.

That's covered by the MF part. Therefore, the only thing Scott's
guilty of is being a MF.

Old September 9th 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Ed White[_1_]

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> "C. E. White" > said in
> rec.autos.driving:
>

> >"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >
> >> This coming from a man who is on record as being an unrepentant LLB.

> >I am not a Left Lane Bully.

> But you are a Left Lane Blocker.

I'll get out of faster driver's way in a safe and legal manner, no
matter how big a jerk they may be. This does not mean I'll drive 90 in
a 65 becasue another driver feels empowered to do so. I don't
understand the idea that people who are willing to drive well above the
speed limit have a special claim on the left lane. I am in full
agreement with the idea that slower traffic should keep right except to
pass. This is not the same as "you must cling to the right lane becasue
some jerk doing 25 over the speed limit might catch you before you
complete your pass."

When did they add a statue that givs rude agressive impatient drivers
the right of way? Just becasue someone feels empowered to try to
intimidate others, it doesn't make them right. It just makes them a
rude jerk.

> Your position is well known. It can be summed up as "I'll get out of
> your way when I'm damn good and ready."

Your opinion, not mine. My attitude is different. First, I'll try to
stay out of your way if it is obvious you will catch me before I can
complete my pass (i.e., I won't move over to the left to try to preempt
you from passing me). However, if I am in the process of passing a car,
I am not going suddenly increase my speed to a level I am not
comfortable with just becasue you are impatient. I'll finish my pass in
a safe manner. It seems to me I could sum the attittude you express as
"I'm special, get out of my way." You seem to think it is perfectly OK
for me to be held up for 20 or 30 seconds behind a slower car waiting
on another car coming up behind me becasue it is possible it might (or
might not) catch me before I complete my pass, but if I hold a faster
car up for even 5 seconds I am a bad person.

> Quite the opposite of the Golden Rule driving that I and others here
> practice.

When did they rewrite the Golden Rule? Oviously I missed the new
version - "Screw them becasue you are special."

> I'm a wreckless driver and damn proud of it!

That sort of sums you up doesn't it. Incompetent, dangerous, and proud
of it. At least for you I think "ignorance is bliss," needs to be
rewritten as "arrogance is bliss."

Ed

Old September 9th 06, 01:33 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Ed Pirrero

Ed White wrote:
> Scott en Aztlán wrote:
> > "C. E. White" > said in
> > rec.autos.driving:
> >

> > >"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> > .. .

> > >I am not a Left Lane Bully.

> > But you are a Left Lane Blocker.

> This is not the same as "you must cling to the right lane becasue
> some jerk doing 25 over the speed limit might catch you before you
> complete your pass."

This seems somewhat at odds with some of your previous writings. Maybe
I just didn't read them right...

> When did they add a statue that givs rude agressive impatient drivers
> the right of way? Just becasue someone feels empowered to try to
> intimidate others, it doesn't make them right. It just makes them a
> rude jerk.

I'll agree. But let me tell you - it's hard to tell the inconsiderate
jerks from those who actually obey the rules within their own
parameters.

> > Your position is well known. It can be summed up as "I'll get out of
> > your way when I'm damn good and ready."

> Your opinion, not mine. My attitude is different. First, I'll try to
> stay out of your way if it is obvious you will catch me before I can
> complete my pass (i.e., I won't move over to the left to try to preempt
> you from passing me). However, if I am in the process of passing a car,
> I am not going suddenly increase my speed to a level I am not
> comfortable with just becasue you are impatient. I'll finish my pass in
> a safe manner.

This is about the way I do it. I have a speed at which I am
comfortable. I will drive right, pass left, and attempt to not hold up
any other driver.

But if I am passing a conga line, and there's no room to safely get
over, if someone comes up on me at +20, they're going to have to wait
until there's an opening. We're not talking about micropassing,
either. There's a line where if you are in the left lane crowding
someone's tail because they are going fast enough *for you* that it
becomes MFFY on your part. And I'm not sure that line is as clear as
some folks wish to believe.

> > I'm a wreckless driver and damn proud of it!

> That sort of sums you up doesn't it. Incompetent, dangerous, and proud
> of it. At least for you I think "ignorance is bliss," needs to be
> rewritten as "arrogance is bliss."

You were doing well right up to here. "Wreckless" = "without a
collision". "Reckless" is what you are describing. You owe Scott an
apology.

E.P.

Old September 9th 06, 07:10 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
gpsman

Scott en Aztlán wrote: <brevity snip>
> "Ed White" > said in rec.autos.driving:

> >I'll get out of faster driver's way in a safe and legal manner, no
> >matter how big a jerk they may be.

> And that's the difference between you and me. I won't get into the
> other driver's way in the first place.

Didn't you just a short while ago endorse and say you would find useful
a device to insult tailagters? If you have a tailgater, you are in
their way.
-----

- gpsman