Auxilliary power distribution box

Old March 29th 05, 08:42 PM
Simon H

Default Auxilliary power distribution box

1998 4.0 SOHC Explorer - Does anyone have a schematic for the auxilliary
power ditribution box (the one beneath the air filter box)? Or at least what
component each relay supplies, working from the radiator end of the box? I
was hoping to find some info on the box cover like you might expect to find
on a fuse box cover. But there's nothing the-(
I'm trying to track down the fuses and relays connected with the compressor
and controls for the self-levelling suspension. All the fuses in the dash
panel and the main distribution box seem OK - I've pulled each one in turn
and tested with a meter - so I'm guessing a bad relay might be the reason
the air compressor never runs. It does run if I connect a 12V supply
directly to it, so I guess the compressor is good.

TIA
Simon H

Old March 30th 05, 05:24 PM
C. E. White

"Simon H" > wrote in message
> 1998 4.0 SOHC Explorer - Does anyone have a schematic for the auxilliary
> power ditribution box (the one beneath the air filter box)? Or at least
> what component each relay supplies, working from the radiator end of the
> box? I was hoping to find some info on the box cover like you might expect
> to find on a fuse box cover. But there's nothing the-(
> I'm trying to track down the fuses and relays connected with the
> compressor and controls for the self-levelling suspension. All the fuses
> in the dash panel and the main distribution box seem OK - I've pulled each
> one in turn and tested with a meter - so I'm guessing a bad relay might be
> the reason the air compressor never runs. It does run if I connect a 12V
> supply directly to it, so I guess the compressor is good.

Did you look in the owners guide? It is on page 142. See
http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pub...28/98expog.pdf .

Ed

Ed

Old March 30th 05, 07:18 PM
Simon H

"C. E. White" > wrote in message

> "Simon H" > wrote in message
>> 1998 4.0 SOHC Explorer - Does anyone have a schematic for the auxilliary
>> power ditribution box (the one beneath the air filter box)? Or at least
>> what component each relay supplies, working from the radiator end of the
>> box? I was hoping to find some info on the box cover like you might
>> expect to find on a fuse box cover. But there's nothing the-(
>> I'm trying to track down the fuses and relays connected with the
>> compressor and controls for the self-levelling suspension. All the fuses
>> in the dash panel and the main distribution box seem OK - I've pulled
>> each one in turn and tested with a meter - so I'm guessing a bad relay
>> might be the reason the air compressor never runs. It does run if I
>> connect a 12V supply directly to it, so I guess the compressor is good.

> Did you look in the owners guide? It is on page 142. See
> http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pub...28/98expog.pdf .
>
> Ed
>
> Ed

Oddly enough it did occur to me to look in the owners 'guide'.
Unfortunately Ford don't seem to be too keen on divulging technical
information to Explorer owners in the UK. We only get a basic 'put oil in
here', 'put water in there' type of owners handbook.
Haynes is not much use either.
I don't seem to be authorised to look at the www.motorcraftservice page you
suggested.
Perhaps somebody with authorisation could just tell me which relay in the
Auxilliary Supply box is for the compressor? Something like '2nd from the
back' or 'the one nearest the radiator' will suffice.

TIA
Simon H

Old March 30th 05, 08:00 PM
Simon H

"Simon H" > wrote in message

> "C. E. White" > wrote in message

>> Did you look in the owners guide? It is on page 142. See
>> http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pub...28/98expog.pdf .
>>
>> Ed
>>
>> Ed

Ahhh! It's all so clear now...
I found the way into the Motorcraftservice site...
Unfortunately page 142 refers to the MAIN power distribution box. I know
that all the fuses in there are OK. I've tested all of them. Fuse #9
protects the ARC relay. I understand that the ARC relay is in the AUXILLIARY
power distribution box. There are several other relays in there. I'd like to
know which one is the ARC relay?

TIA
Simon H

Old March 30th 05, 08:01 PM
C. E. White

"Simon H" > wrote in message

> "C. E. White" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Simon H" > wrote in message
>>> 1998 4.0 SOHC Explorer - Does anyone have a schematic for the
>>> auxilliary power ditribution box (the one beneath the air filter box)?
>>> Or at least what component each relay supplies, working from the
>>> radiator end of the box? I was hoping to find some info on the box cover
>>> like you might expect to find on a fuse box cover. But there's nothing
>>> the-(
>>> I'm trying to track down the fuses and relays connected with the
>>> compressor and controls for the self-levelling suspension. All the fuses
>>> in the dash panel and the main distribution box seem OK - I've pulled
>>> each one in turn and tested with a meter - so I'm guessing a bad relay
>>> might be the reason the air compressor never runs. It does run if I
>>> connect a 12V supply directly to it, so I guess the compressor is good.

>> Did you look in the owners guide? It is on page 142. See
>> http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pub...28/98expog.pdf .
>>
>> Ed
>>
>> Ed

> Oddly enough it did occur to me to look in the owners 'guide'.
> Unfortunately Ford don't seem to be too keen on divulging technical
> information to Explorer owners in the UK. We only get a basic 'put oil in
> here', 'put water in there' type of owners handbook.
> Haynes is not much use either.
> I don't seem to be authorised to look at the www.motorcraftservice page
> you suggested.
> Perhaps somebody with authorisation could just tell me which relay in the
> Auxilliary Supply box is for the compressor? Something like '2nd from the
> back' or 'the one nearest the radiator' will suffice.
>
> TIA
> Simon H

Send me your real address to and I will send the
manual to you. You could also try
https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenan...ls/default.asp or go in
through the motorcraft front page -
http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi...il/default.asp and then click on
the "Owner Information" link on the left side of the page.

Item 15 is a 50A Maxi Fuse for the Air Suspension Solid State Compressor
Relay. It is the 5th fuse from the left on the front row. I am calling the
row of relays the back row. The 2 x 6 group of smaller fuses is in the
front right corner (these are fuses 1 through 12 - the larger fuses in this
line are number from 13 to 19 as you move right to left.
There are other fuses related to the air suspension. Fuse 4 is for the Air
Suspension Service switch (4 is the second switch from the right on the
second row of little fuses from the front). Here is a crude layout -

Relay Relay Relay Relay Relay Relay

29 28 27 26 25 24 23 22 21 20

19 18 17 16 15 14 13 12 10 8 6 4 2
11 9
7 5 3 1

Fuse/Relay Location Fuse Amp Rating Description
1 20A* Trailer Tow Running Lamp Relay, Trailer Tow Backup Lamp Relay
2 10A* Air Bag Diagnostic Monitor
3 30A* All Unlock Relay, All Lock Relay, Driver's Unlock Relay
4 15A* Air Suspension Service Switch
5 20A* Horn Relay
6 30A* Radio, Premium Sound Amplifier, CD Changer, Rear Integrated Control
Panel, Sub-Woofer Power (Fuse 3 & Fuse 5)
7 15A* Main Light Switch, Park Lamp Relay
8 30A* Main Light Switch, Headlamp Relay, Multi-Function Switch
9 15A* Daytime Running Lamps (DRL) Module, Fog Lamp Relay
10 25A* I/P Auxiliary Power Socket
11 25A* Console Auxiliary Power Socket
12 10A* Rear Wiper Up Motor Relay, Rear Wiper Down Motor Relay
13 30A** Auxiliary A/C Relay
14 60A** 4 Wheel Anti-Lock Brake System (4WABS) Module
15 50A** Air Suspension Solid State Compressor Relay
16 40A** Trailer Tow Battery Charge Relay, Engine Fuse Module (Fuse 2)
17 30A** Shift on the Fly Relay, Transfer Case Shift relay
18 30A** Power Seat Control Switch
19 20A** Fuel Pump Relay
20 50A** Ignition Switch (B4 & B5)
21 50A** Ignition Switch (B1 & B3)
22 50A** Junction Box Fuse/Relay Panel Battery Feed
23 40A** I/P Blower Relay
24 30A** PCM Power Relay, Engine Fuse Module (Fuse 1)
25 30A CB Junction Box Fuse/Relay Panel, ACC Delay Relay
26 - Not Used
27 40A** Junction Box Fuse/Relay Panel, Heated Grid Relay
28 30A** Trailer Electronic Brake Controller
29 30A** Flip Window Relay, Hybrid Cooling Fan Relay

Regards,

Ed White

Old March 30th 05, 09:49 PM
Simon H

"C. E. White" > wrote in message

> Send me your real address to and I will send the
> manual to you. You could also try

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenan...ls/default.asp or go in
> through the motorcraft front page -
> http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi...il/default.asp and then click
> on the "Owner Information" link on the left side of the page.
>
> Item 15 is a 50A Maxi Fuse for the Air Suspension Solid State Compressor
> Relay. It is the 5th fuse from the left on the front row. I am calling the
> row of relays the back row. The 2 x 6 group of smaller fuses is in the
> front right corner (these are fuses 1 through 12 - the larger fuses in
> this line are number from 13 to 19 as you move right to left.
> There are other fuses related to the air suspension. Fuse 4 is for the Air
> Suspension Service switch (4 is the second switch from the right on the
> second row of little fuses from the front). Here is a crude layout -
>
> Relay Relay Relay Relay Relay Relay
>
> 29 28 27 26 25 24 23 22 21 20
>
> 19 18 17 16 15 14 13 12 10 8 6 4 2
> 11 9
> 7 5 3 1
>
> Fuse/Relay Location Fuse Amp Rating Description
> 1 20A* Trailer Tow Running Lamp Relay, Trailer Tow Backup Lamp Relay
> 2 10A* Air Bag Diagnostic Monitor
> 3 30A* All Unlock Relay, All Lock Relay, Driver's Unlock Relay
> 4 15A* Air Suspension Service Switch
> 5 20A* Horn Relay
> 6 30A* Radio, Premium Sound Amplifier, CD Changer, Rear Integrated Control
> Panel, Sub-Woofer Power (Fuse 3 & Fuse 5)
> 7 15A* Main Light Switch, Park Lamp Relay
> 8 30A* Main Light Switch, Headlamp Relay, Multi-Function Switch
> 9 15A* Daytime Running Lamps (DRL) Module, Fog Lamp Relay
> 10 25A* I/P Auxiliary Power Socket
> 11 25A* Console Auxiliary Power Socket
> 12 10A* Rear Wiper Up Motor Relay, Rear Wiper Down Motor Relay
> 13 30A** Auxiliary A/C Relay
> 14 60A** 4 Wheel Anti-Lock Brake System (4WABS) Module
> 15 50A** Air Suspension Solid State Compressor Relay
> 16 40A** Trailer Tow Battery Charge Relay, Engine Fuse Module (Fuse 2)
> 17 30A** Shift on the Fly Relay, Transfer Case Shift relay
> 18 30A** Power Seat Control Switch
> 19 20A** Fuel Pump Relay
> 20 50A** Ignition Switch (B4 & B5)
> 21 50A** Ignition Switch (B1 & B3)
> 22 50A** Junction Box Fuse/Relay Panel Battery Feed
> 23 40A** I/P Blower Relay
> 24 30A** PCM Power Relay, Engine Fuse Module (Fuse 1)
> 25 30A CB Junction Box Fuse/Relay Panel, ACC Delay Relay
> 26 - Not Used
> 27 40A** Junction Box Fuse/Relay Panel, Heated Grid Relay
> 28 30A** Trailer Electronic Brake Controller
> 29 30A** Flip Window Relay, Hybrid Cooling Fan Relay
>
> Regards,
>
> Ed White

Thanks for that Ed!
I am more than reasonably sure that all the fuses are OK. Do you happen to
know where the "Air Suspension Solid State Compressor Relay" lives? The
relay, not the fuse? I believe that it is in the Auxilliary Power Supply
box, located beneath the air filter box (well, it is on my RHD UK Ex). But
which relay is it? None of them are labelled or tagged.

TIA
Simon H

Old April 2nd 05, 03:09 PM
C. E. White

"Simon H" > wrote in message
> Thanks for that Ed!
> I am more than reasonably sure that all the fuses are OK. Do you happen to
> know where the "Air Suspension Solid State Compressor Relay" lives? The
> relay, not the fuse? I believe that it is in the Auxilliary Power Supply
> box, located beneath the air filter box (well, it is on my RHD UK Ex). But
> which relay is it? None of them are labelled or tagged.

Did you ever figure this out? If not, send me a private note and I'll look
in the service manual tonight.

Ed

Old April 3rd 05, 01:48 AM
Fred 2

The air compressor relay is not located inside the power distribution
box but next to it (at least in american verson) the relay itself sits
in a covered holder, you have to remove the cover to see/remove the
relay.

If you still need clarification, let me know so can upload a scan

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 20:49:39 +0000 (UTC), "Simon H"