going from 245/65/17 to 255/60/17 ...

Old January 2nd 04, 03:37 AM
L0nD0t.$t0we11

Roughly 1/1/04 19:28, 4000 psi's monkeys randomly typed:
>> Without identifying your vehicle, local weather, or whether you'll
>> be driving offroad, hard to say whether it is as good as the other

> QX4 4x4, no off-road, driven in SoCal ... mostly dry and warm with
> occasional wetness ... will be driven in the snowy mountains as well ...

The Cross Terrain will do pretty good for the highways. For snow
you have the choices of buying better snow tires or staying home or
driving
really really really slow.

--
Fan of the dumbest team in America.

Old January 2nd 04, 05:40 PM
Mike Hall

Smaller (lower) profiles result in harder ride and less resistance to
shock.. some suspension systems don't cope well with that.. the results are
generally fed back to the passenger compartment through the seats and
steering wheel.. the only good thing is that no fancy electronic gadgetry is
required for the feedback

--
History is only the past if we choose to do nothing about it..

"4000 psi" > wrote in message
> any issues with handling or anything else, assuming the tire fits the rim
> and the car, etc.?
>
> are the Michelin Cross Terrain any good ... they have a tread wear index

of

Old January 2nd 04, 05:40 PM
Mike Hall

Old January 2nd 04, 08:50 PM
4000 psi

how noticeable is the 5% decrease in profile?

>the only good thing is that no fancy electronic gadgetry is
>required for the feedback

exluding our nurvous system and brain

Old January 2nd 04, 08:50 PM
4000 psi

Old January 3rd 04, 03:49 PM
Mike Hall

5% doesn't sound much admittedly, but it depends on how close to the 'edge'
your suspension system is already.. it is generally assumed that a car has
been given the springs, shocks and wheel/tire package that will deliver the
best results re. drivability.. any change to some of the components will
change that balance, maybe for better, maybe for worse.. it is wrongly
assumed that the application of wider, lower profile tires will upgrade the
cornering performance.. they may look more aesthetically pleasing, but that
is all.. in your case, remember that tires do wear out, and there is always
the option to return to stock eventually..

Old January 3rd 04, 03:49 PM
Mike Hall