Vintage License Plates in CA ?

Old May 10th 05, 04:05 AM
LL bean

Default Vintage License Plates in CA ?

We have a coupla cars that just turned 36 y.o. do they qualify for
special plates in California??

g adds.
MONEY , what a concept

Old May 10th 05, 07:12 PM
John David Galt

LL bean wrote:
> We have a coupla cars that just turned 36 y.o. do they qualify for
> special plates in California??

Ask DMV. That's certainly not old enough for the "HORSELESS CARRIAGE"
plates, but those aren't the only special series of plates for older
cars in CA.
Old May 10th 05, 07:26 PM
Ad absurdum per aspera

I don't think California has any concept of special plates for an
antique car or horseless carriage or whatever for regular driving.

They do offer both "antique" (post-1922 but >25 years old and of
"historical interest"; not clear who judges that or under what
criteria) and "horseless carriage" (pre-1923, or pre-1965 with 16 or
more cylinders) plates. However, as I understand it, those put your
car into some kind of show/ club-event/ parade classification; as long
as you hold them you are not supposed to use the car for ordinary
street driving, and if you want to recommission the vehicle for normal
use you have to surrender those plates and get the regular sort.

I think antique (1942 or earlier) *motorcycles* may be granted special
plates for regular use, but not cars.

Of course, many a "survivor" that has always been in California still
bears its older-style style plates, but that's a different matter --
they were the regular issue plates back when it was new.

See for instance
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/plates/specialplates.htm
and
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg17a.pdf

Cheers,
--Joe

Old May 10th 05, 10:32 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 10 May 2005, Ad absurdum per aspera wrote:

> I don't think California has any concept of special plates for an
> antique car or horseless carriage or whatever for regular driving.

California does have a YOM (Year Of Manufacture) plate program, but only
1962 or older cars/plates are eligible. For some reason, CA governors keep
vetoing efforts to extend YOM beyond '62.

http://www.calpl8s.com/cpfaq.html

Old May 11th 05, 06:13 PM
Timothy J. Lee

In article .com>,
Ad absurdum per aspera > wrote:
>Of course, many a "survivor" that has always been in California still
>bears its older-style style plates, but that's a different matter --
>they were the regular issue plates back when it was new.

Sometimes older personalized plates can be seen on newer cars, due to
being moved from one car to another.

Timothy J. Lee