Blacktop at 80 degrees

Old October 11th 14, 03:04 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
micky

Default Blacktop at 80 degrees

I learned in the past couple weeks that blacktop at 80 degrees iirc is
soft enough that the wheels of a floor jack, or the bottom outline of
jack stands will sink into the blacktop. This is an especial problem
with a floor jack because it's meant to roll backwards as the car is
lifted, but if the wheels are stuck in the blacktop, the support plate
of the jack will move underneath and wrt the car, making scarey noises
at the very least.

Not only that but when I'm jacking up the right side, after I had jacked
up the left and rested it on a jack stand, the jack did NOT move wrt to
car. Instead it made the whole car move and that made the jackstand on
the left side tip partly over.

And going down it makes even scarier noises.

I should have laid down plywood, just a little bigger than the jack, so
it would roll.

However the weather was about 70 degrees in the past few days, and
nothing sank into the blacktop, and the floor jack rolled as it's
supposed to.

For 14 dollars, they sell a ~10 pound plastic bucket of stuff to fix the
blacktop, but it's too cold at night to use it now. Next summer I'll
patch the parking lot I've been using. I hope no one notices before
then. ;-)
Old October 11th 14, 03:46 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Steve W.[_6_]

micky wrote:
> I learned in the past couple weeks that blacktop at 80 degrees iirc is
> soft enough that the wheels of a floor jack, or the bottom outline of
> jack stands will sink into the blacktop. This is an especial problem
> with a floor jack because it's meant to roll backwards as the car is
> lifted, but if the wheels are stuck in the blacktop, the support plate
> of the jack will move underneath and wrt the car, making scarey noises
> at the very least.
>
> Not only that but when I'm jacking up the right side, after I had jacked
> up the left and rested it on a jack stand, the jack did NOT move wrt to
> car. Instead it made the whole car move and that made the jackstand on
> the left side tip partly over.
>
> And going down it makes even scarier noises.
>
> I should have laid down plywood, just a little bigger than the jack, so
> it would roll.
>

> However the weather was about 70 degrees in the past few days, and
> nothing sank into the blacktop, and the floor jack rolled as it's
> supposed to.
>
> For 14 dollars, they sell a ~10 pound plastic bucket of stuff to fix the
> blacktop, but it's too cold at night to use it now. Next summer I'll
> patch the parking lot I've been using. I hope no one notices before
> then. ;-)

Yep, toss down as large a hunk of GOOD plywood as possible if you're
trying to use a jack on anything other than solid concrete.

--
Steve W.
Old October 11th 14, 12:16 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Tegger[_4_]

"Steve W." > wrote in :

> toss down as large a hunk of GOOD plywood as possible if you're
> trying to use a jack on anything other than solid concrete.

Hardwood plywood is best. That's what I use. I also put squares of it under
my jack stands.

Specifically, 15mm Baltic Birch, and 5/8" Maple, seem to be the easiest to
find.

Any carpentry shop or furniture shop should be able to give you scrap
pieces. There is also a small industry called "steel rule dies" that uses a
huge amount of hardwood plywood. Check your local phone listings.

--
Tegger
Old October 11th 14, 02:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N[_2_]

On Friday, October 10, 2014 10:04:29 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:
> I learned in the past couple weeks that blacktop at 80 degrees iirc is
>
> soft enough that the wheels of a floor jack, or the bottom outline of
>
> jack stands will sink into the blacktop. This is an especial problem
>
> with a floor jack because it's meant to roll backwards as the car is
>
> lifted, but if the wheels are stuck in the blacktop, the support plate
>
> of the jack will move underneath and wrt the car, making scarey noises
>
> at the very least.
>

> Not only that but when I'm jacking up the right side, after I had jacked
>
> up the left and rested it on a jack stand, the jack did NOT move wrt to
>
> car. Instead it made the whole car move and that made the jackstand on
>
> the left side tip partly over.
>

> And going down it makes even scarier noises.
>

> I should have laid down plywood, just a little bigger than the jack, so
>
> it would roll.
>

> However the weather was about 70 degrees in the past few days, and
>
> nothing sank into the blacktop, and the floor jack rolled as it's
>
> supposed to.
>

> For 14 dollars, they sell a ~10 pound plastic bucket of stuff to fix the
>
> blacktop, but it's too cold at night to use it now. Next summer I'll
>
> patch the parking lot I've been using. I hope no one notices before
>
> then. ;-)

yup, I hate working on asphalt, I have four pieces of plywood specially made to fit under my jackstands so they don't sink in :/

nate
Old October 11th 14, 04:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
[email protected]

On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 22:04:29 -0400, micky >
wrote:

>I learned in the past couple weeks that blacktop at 80 degrees iirc is
>soft enough that the wheels of a floor jack, or the bottom outline of
>jack stands will sink into the blacktop. This is an especial problem
>with a floor jack because it's meant to roll backwards as the car is
>lifted, but if the wheels are stuck in the blacktop, the support plate
>of the jack will move underneath and wrt the car, making scarey noises
>at the very least.
>
>Not only that but when I'm jacking up the right side, after I had jacked
>up the left and rested it on a jack stand, the jack did NOT move wrt to
>car. Instead it made the whole car move and that made the jackstand on
>the left side tip partly over.
>
>And going down it makes even scarier noises.
>
>I should have laid down plywood, just a little bigger than the jack, so
>it would roll.
>

>However the weather was about 70 degrees in the past few days, and
>nothing sank into the blacktop, and the floor jack rolled as it's
>supposed to.
>
>For 14 dollars, they sell a ~10 pound plastic bucket of stuff to fix the
>blacktop, but it's too cold at night to use it now. Next summer I'll
>patch the parking lot I've been using. I hope no one notices before
>then. ;-)

Weld plates on the bottom of the jackstands to keep them from
"cutting in" and get a floor jack with full width rollers instead of
wheels/casters. A 2X8' hunk of 3/8" plywood for the jack works too.
Old October 11th 14, 09:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
EXT

"micky" > wrote in message
> I learned in the past couple weeks that blacktop at 80 degrees iirc is
> soft enough that the wheels of a floor jack, or the bottom outline of
> jack stands will sink into the blacktop. This is an especial problem
> with a floor jack because it's meant to roll backwards as the car is
> lifted, but if the wheels are stuck in the blacktop, the support plate
> of the jack will move underneath and wrt the car, making scarey noises
> at the very least.
>
> Not only that but when I'm jacking up the right side, after I had jacked
> up the left and rested it on a jack stand, the jack did NOT move wrt to
> car. Instead it made the whole car move and that made the jackstand on
> the left side tip partly over.
>
> And going down it makes even scarier noises.
>
> I should have laid down plywood, just a little bigger than the jack, so
> it would roll.
>

> However the weather was about 70 degrees in the past few days, and
> nothing sank into the blacktop, and the floor jack rolled as it's
> supposed to.
>
> For 14 dollars, they sell a ~10 pound plastic bucket of stuff to fix the
> blacktop, but it's too cold at night to use it now. Next summer I'll
> patch the parking lot I've been using. I hope no one notices before
> then. ;-)

Much of the problem with asphalt black top is a combination of age and
grade. You will note that the roads are made with a much harder grade of
asphalt than most driveways. In fact many driveways are made with a grade of
asphalt that contains a high percentage of sand compared to stone. This type
will be soft and weak for years, while it is easier for the installer to
place and roll. Commercial car parks and roads use a grade with much more
stone and larger stones. This makes a firmer base that is less likely to
deform under pressure. Many people do not like the look because the stone
will start showing through when to top coating of tar wears off and the
color of the stone starts to show through. If it is made with limestone, it
will have a light gray appearance, I have seen green, red and other stone
colors in local roads, including sparkles from crushed glass. If I was to
pave my driveway, I would insist on a commercial grade of asphalt, to avoid
the soft and easily damaged surface.

Old October 11th 14, 10:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Geoff Welsh

Steve W. wrote:
> micky wrote:
>> I learned in the past couple weeks that blacktop at 80 degrees iirc is
>> soft enough that the wheels of a floor jack, or the bottom outline of
>> jack stands will sink into the blacktop. This is an especial problem
>> with a floor jack because it's meant to roll backwards as the car is
>> lifted, but if the wheels are stuck in the blacktop, the support plate
>> of the jack will move underneath and wrt the car, making scarey noises
>> at the very least.
>> Not only that but when I'm jacking up the right side, after I had jacked
>> up the left and rested it on a jack stand, the jack did NOT move wrt to
>> car. Instead it made the whole car move and that made the jackstand on
>> the left side tip partly over.
>> And going down it makes even scarier noises.
>> I should have laid down plywood, just a little bigger than the jack, so
>> it would roll.
>>
>> However the weather was about 70 degrees in the past few days, and
>> nothing sank into the blacktop, and the floor jack rolled as it's
>> supposed to.
>> For 14 dollars, they sell a ~10 pound plastic bucket of stuff to fix the
>> blacktop, but it's too cold at night to use it now. Next summer I'll
>> patch the parking lot I've been using. I hope no one notices before
>> then. ;-)

> Yep, toss down as large a hunk of GOOD plywood as possible if you're
> trying to use a jack on anything other than solid concrete.

unless you own the concrete (like my house's driveway), then please use
plywood there too.

:-)

GW
Old October 12th 14, 12:42 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
micky

On Sat, 11 Oct 2014 16:54:57 -0400, "EXT" >
wrote:

>"micky" > wrote in message
.. .
>> I learned in the past couple weeks that blacktop at 80 degrees iirc is
>> soft enough that the wheels of a floor jack, or the bottom outline of
>> jack stands will sink into the blacktop. This is an especial problem
>> with a floor jack because it's meant to roll backwards as the car is
>> lifted, but if the wheels are stuck in the blacktop, the support plate
>> of the jack will move underneath and wrt the car, making scarey noises
>> at the very least.
>>
>> Not only that but when I'm jacking up the right side, after I had jacked
>> up the left and rested it on a jack stand, the jack did NOT move wrt to
>> car. Instead it made the whole car move and that made the jackstand on
>> the left side tip partly over.
>>
>> And going down it makes even scarier noises.
>>
>> I should have laid down plywood, just a little bigger than the jack, so
>> it would roll.
>>

>> However the weather was about 70 degrees in the past few days, and
>> nothing sank into the blacktop, and the floor jack rolled as it's
>> supposed to.
>>
>> For 14 dollars, they sell a ~10 pound plastic bucket of stuff to fix the
>> blacktop, but it's too cold at night to use it now. Next summer I'll
>> patch the parking lot I've been using. I hope no one notices before
>> then. ;-)

>Much of the problem with asphalt black top is a combination of age and
>grade. You will note that the roads are made with a much harder grade of
>asphalt than most driveways. In fact many driveways are made with a grade of
>asphalt that contains a high percentage of sand compared to stone. This type
>will be soft and weak for years, while it is easier for the installer to
>place and roll. Commercial car parks and roads use a grade with much more
>stone and larger stones. This makes a firmer base that is less likely to
>deform under pressure. Many people do not like the look because the stone
>will start showing through when to top coating of tar wears off and the
>color of the stone starts to show through. If it is made with limestone, it
>will have a light gray appearance, I have seen green, red and other stone
>colors in local roads, including sparkles from crushed glass. If I was to
>pave my driveway, I would insist on a commercial grade of asphalt, to avoid
>the soft and easily damaged surface.

I remember when the next-door neighbors, the Lewises, put blacktop on
their driveway in 1953. I was told that they were told that they had
to be careful with it or it would be damaged. Maybe we little kids were
told that too, but there was nothing we little kids or the big kids did
to other people's driveways. And I don't think t here was anything
the Lewises did to any driveway. I guess they were just repeating the
contractor's warning. I suppose on occasion Mr. Lewis might hammer on
something there, and that's what he wasn't supposed to do.
Old October 13th 14, 05:39 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
WW[_2_]

"Steve W." wrote in message ...

micky wrote:
> I learned in the past couple weeks that blacktop at 80 degrees iirc is
> soft enough that the wheels of a floor jack, or the bottom outline of
> jack stands will sink into the blacktop. This is an especial problem
> with a floor jack because it's meant to roll backwards as the car is
> lifted, but if the wheels are stuck in the blacktop, the support plate
> of the jack will move underneath and wrt the car, making scarey noises
> at the very least.
>
> Not only that but when I'm jacking up the right side, after I had jacked
> up the left and rested it on a jack stand, the jack did NOT move wrt to
> car. Instead it made the whole car move and that made the jackstand on
> the left side tip partly over.
>
> And going down it makes even scarier noises.
>
> I should have laid down plywood, just a little bigger than the jack, so
> it would roll.
>

> However the weather was about 70 degrees in the past few days, and
> nothing sank into the blacktop, and the floor jack rolled as it's
> supposed to.
>
> For 14 dollars, they sell a ~10 pound plastic bucket of stuff to fix the
> blacktop, but it's too cold at night to use it now. Next summer I'll
> patch the parking lot I've been using. I hope no one notices before
> then. ;-)

Yep, toss down as large a hunk of GOOD plywood as possible if you're
trying to use a jack on anything other than solid concrete.

--
Steve W.

Steve..Would MDF be better than plywood? No voids in MDF. WW
Old October 13th 14, 06:45 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Steve W.[_6_]

Yep, toss down as large a hunk of GOOD plywood as possible if you're
trying to use a jack on anything other than solid concrete.

-- Steve W.

Steve..Would MDF be better than plywood? No voids in MDF. WW

Not really any of it I have used doesn't like to flex. Unless the ground
is very flat it will need to bend a bit. That usually means it breaks.

Plywood on the other hand will flex a bit without breaking. I have some
here that I wish I had a LOT more of. It's stuff they used to build
vegetable crates from for a baby food plant. It's about 3/4" thick, 12
plies, exterior adhesive with NO voids and beautiful fine grained wood.

--
Steve W.

Who needs a fan, part 2...64 degrees, 60 MPH, 60 miles... Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_] Technology 7 October 27th 09 09:37 PM
Did anybody get Daytona 80 degrees to work? [email protected] Simulators 5 November 28th 06 05:02 PM
Timing 80 degrees off?!? Drink Jeep 13 January 3rd 06 09:15 PM
Timing: 46-60 degrees off!! [email protected] VW air cooled 2 March 8th 05 10:38 AM
Beeps when temperture 37 degrees terence BMW 35 December 28th 04 06:07 PM