Oil-filter removal (2004 Jeep Liberty)

Old August 29th 06, 01:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Matt Macchiarolo

Default Oil-filter removal (2004 Jeep Liberty)

I have to file that away..."whinetit?" never heard that before. I can think
of a lot of folks who fit that description.

I wonder if there is available a remote oil filter mount for the Liberty?

I remember thinking that she was being a whinetit and went

Old August 29th 06, 03:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Kate[_3_]

OUCH!
You made my head hurt!

Whinetit - a whiner who is without just cause.

geeze... I thought you were a fart smeller! I mean, smart feller.

Kate
06 Rhoobeekwan

Old August 29th 06, 03:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Kate[_3_]

There ought to be Matt, it's in a damned akward spot.
I remember thinking I would have to dismantle something to get to it.
..
Now see.. this is how you could make your first million!

Kate

. ..

Old August 29th 06, 05:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
[email protected]

Removing the oil filter is a bear! Once you push your arm between the
tie-rod and the fan shroud and reach the filter, there's no room to get
a good grip on the filter to screw it off.

===============================

When my new Liberty reached 2,500 miles, I couldn't get the
factory-installed oil filter off so I ended up taking the Liberty to a
quick-lube-place to have the oil changed and the oil filter replaced.
(Apparently, the factory put the filter without oiling the rubber
gasket and must've used an impact wrench).

===============================

Then, at 5,000 miles, I changed the oil and replaced the oil filter
with almost no effort. I oiled the rubber basket on the oil filter then
snugged up the filter by hand and turned it another 1/4 turn.

===============================

Now, at 8,000 miles, I first tried a oil-filter end cup (or cap). For
pictu

http://ace.imageg.net/graphics/produ...1000242reg.jpg

The cup fits snugly over the fluted end of the oil filter. One end of
a 3/8" extension bar goes in the square hole on the back of the cup and
the other end of the bar goes in a socket wrench.

When I turned the cup, it rounded-off the flutes and just spun.

================================

I then tried a nylon strap-type oil-filter "wrench". For pictu

http://www.dodgetopia.com/images/KD-3149.jpg

The nylon strap goes around the oil filter and one end of a 3/8"
extension bar goes in the end of the handle and the other end attaches
to a socket wrench

As the extension bar turned, it tightened the strap around the oil
filter. When it didn't unscrew the oil filter, I stopped, fearing it
would rip apart the filter and I'd have an even more-difficult time
getting the torn filter off the mount.

================================

Is there anyone out there that has actually changed the oil-filter on a
Liberty? What tool did you use

Old August 29th 06, 05:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Wow, you are thick....

A whole new thread and you forgot to show that 'YOU' broke your oil
filter by leaving the 'removal' tool on it when you 'installed' it with
the 'removal' tool last time.

Leaving that out of this new thread is BS.

There are no short cuts now, the filter is damaged and put on too
tight. If it 'wasn't put on too tight, the strap would have worked.
Simple. The proper tool will now not work.

I would recommend you take it to a professional cheapie lube place and
play dumb about the damage. Hopefully they don't have to pull the
engine out to fix it.

Just my $0.02.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old August 29th 06, 06:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

Does the strap wrench just 'slip' when you try to turn it?

It may just require a quick shot of solvent like brake cleaner (doesn't
leave a residue) on the filter can and wrench strap to clean off any
accumulated oils.

Install the strap wrench as close to the base as possible and give it a
spin. It is doubtful you will damage the filter.

If it continues to slip you might try laying a strip of sandpaper inside the
strap, the granules will bite into the can.

Perhaps a friend/neighbor with more mechanical experience can lend hand.

Your only other choice is going to your corner quickie lube. Be aware,
however, that they have a reputation for over-tightening filters.

I have one of those cap tools that I got 25-30 years ago and is made of
steel of good thickness, the new ones I see at the auto-parts store look to
be stamped from tin and pretty flimsy. If you want to use one try to find a
stout model. Also they make lots of different sizes, are you sure you have
the EXACT one?

We have all done silly things at one time or another, especially when we
were younger and had less experience...... He has learned a valuable lesson,
now give him a break.

Old August 29th 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Garth Almgren

Around 8/28/2006 8:21 PM, Eric wrote:

> Yup, that's what I use. Have two sizes for the two sizes of filters my
> vehicles use.

I've also got two of those metal strap wrenches (somewhere).

Wouldn't you know it, this weekend when I went to change the oil the
filter was on about half a turn too tight to unscrew by hand. Of course,
that meant I couldn't find either wrench. So, I ended up using one of these:

http://tinyurl.com/gytef

Worked like a charm with no puncturing and minimal crushing... No big
ass screwdriver needed this time!

--
~/Garth - 1993 Wrangler S 2.5
{ }|||||||{ } "MukYJ"
Old August 29th 06, 06:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Clay

Neighbor of mine shredded a filter right down to the base trying to get
it off.
With nothing more than the flat base to grab, we drug my mig welder over
and tacked a bar across it... figuring it would give some leverage to
spin it off.
The mig provided just enough heat to soften the rubber ring and the base
spun off without needing to tug on the bar.

Jeep Liberty Renegade Feedback Needed. Loner Jeep 3 August 4th 06 05:25 PM
Jeep news from Chrysler Scott in Baltimore Jeep 20 June 28th 06 01:15 AM
New 2004 Jeep Liberty Sport Florence Oregon $21,995 [email protected] Chrysler 0 April 15th 05 01:33 AM
bestop Jeep give away 2004 Rusted Jeep 1 March 9th 05 07:41 AM
REAL air filter testing. More proof that K&N is junk. Steve W. 4x4 25 January 12th 05 01:22 PM