1968 Bug for Sale... Maybe

Old May 10th 05, 06:43 AM
John

Default 1968 Bug for Sale... Maybe

I have a really great 68 bug, I'm the third owner and it is in great
condition. All it really needs is paint, rubber and running boards to get
it looking like it's original condition. I have the original owners
manuals, including the AM transistor Radio manual. I recently put a 1600cc
rebuilt engine in, the interior is great. I purchased it a couple of years
back as my primary means of transportation and started getting it
restored/cleaned up for fun. My wife wanted me to have something a bit
safer, so I purchase another vehicle. Therefore, I really one drive the bug
occasionally on weekends. I have a for sale sign up on it but have not
tried really hard to sell it (I really do not want to...) However, the wife
is wearing thin on it..

I have one minor mechanical problem that I would like to correct prior to
selling it (if I do) and was wondering if anyone out there might possibly
know what would be causing it.. Basically, occasionally when coming to a
stop or decelerating, the engine just dies out. There is really no rhym or
reason, as to when this occurs. One thing that I have noticed is the red
warning light becomes enabled (not full strengh) when I depress the brakes
and this happens pretty regularly. I thought that this might be related to
the stalling out. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...

John
San Diego

Old May 10th 05, 04:19 PM
Speedy Jim

John wrote:
> I have a really great 68 bug, I'm the third owner and it is in great
> condition. All it really needs is paint, rubber and running boards to get
> it looking like it's original condition. I have the original owners
> manuals, including the AM transistor Radio manual. I recently put a 1600cc
> rebuilt engine in, the interior is great. I purchased it a couple of years
> back as my primary means of transportation and started getting it
> restored/cleaned up for fun. My wife wanted me to have something a bit
> safer, so I purchase another vehicle. Therefore, I really one drive the bug
> occasionally on weekends. I have a for sale sign up on it but have not
> tried really hard to sell it (I really do not want to...) However, the wife
> is wearing thin on it..
>
> I have one minor mechanical problem that I would like to correct prior to
> selling it (if I do) and was wondering if anyone out there might possibly
> know what would be causing it.. Basically, occasionally when coming to a
> stop or decelerating, the engine just dies out. There is really no rhym or
> reason, as to when this occurs. One thing that I have noticed is the red
> warning light becomes enabled (not full strengh) when I depress the brakes
> and this happens pretty regularly. I thought that this might be related to
> the stalling out. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...
>
> John
> San Diego

The red warning light on the dash is for brake failure;
it would have no connection to the stalling.
(Fixing this could be the subject of another thread.)

Stalling when stopping can be due to many things:

Timing off.
Idle mixture too lean.
Vacuum leaks.
Minor carb flooding.

The last is a common thing in summer.
Try jacking the idle speed up just a hair.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/