ethanol producers who use ethanol?

Old September 8th 06, 05:44 PM posted to alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.automobile,rec.autos.tech,sci.environment,alt.global-warming
Mad Scientist Jr

Default ethanol producers who use ethanol?

Who are some Ethanol or E85 producers (or farms / suppliers / etc along
the chain) that use Ethanol instead of fossil fuels, to produce their
products?

Old September 8th 06, 06:09 PM posted to alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.automobile,rec.autos.tech,sci.environment,alt.global-warming
Kruse

Mad Scientist Jr wrote:
> Who are some Ethanol or E85 producers (or farms / suppliers / etc along
> the chain) that use Ethanol instead of fossil fuels, to produce their
> products?

Not exactly sure of the answer that you want, but I think the day is
coming (if we like it or not) where the percentage of corn and soybean
products being added to our fuel is increasing. About 25 miles to the
north of me the largest biodiesel plant in the U.S. is under
construction and is due for completion in '07 or '08. So I guess after
that, the area will have a larger percentage of biodiesel fuel use.
As for if you are trying to start a pro or con argument on ethanol or
biodiesel use, sorry, I'm not going to bite.

Old September 8th 06, 07:13 PM posted to alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.automobile,rec.autos.tech,sci.environment,alt.global-warming
Harry[_2_]

I don't know if you travel, bur if you go to Brasil, ethanol is for
sale at every gas station (as "Alcool"). About a quarter of cars I
would say run on the stuff. They make it from sugar cane
The engine is specially modified. No-one likes it but it's sold at a
lower price than petrol (gas). You have to decoke the engine quite
regularly and there's much less power. I think the compression ratio
has to be considerably reduced.
In Bolivia now, they sell compressed methane (at about 10 bars) at some
gas stations in the cities. Now that sounds a dangerous business!
Here in the UK you can buy "Autogas" at some gas stations (liquified
petroleum gas/propane). Engines run very sweet on this and easier
starting. The engine has to be modified but there's no power loss
USA lags behind the rest of the world again.

Old September 8th 06, 07:50 PM posted to alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.automobile,rec.autos.tech,sci.environment,alt.global-warming

"Harry" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> I don't know if you travel, bur if you go to Brasil, ethanol is for
> sale at every gas station (as "Alcool"). About a quarter of cars I
> would say run on the stuff. They make it from sugar cane
> The engine is specially modified. No-one likes it but it's sold at a
> lower price than petrol (gas).

I was in Brasil a few weeks ago and had a long discussion with my
taxi driver about the energy situation. He was quite positive on
alcohol, and bought whatever was cheapest. (His Fiat could run
on gasoline, alcohol, or propane.)

Apparently a lot of the new cars are flexfuel.

Old September 8th 06, 09:10 PM posted to alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.automobile,rec.autos.tech,sci.environment,alt.global-warming
Joe Fischer[_1_]

On 8 Sep 2006 09:44:08 -0700, "Mad Scientist Jr"
> wrote:

>Who are some Ethanol or E85 producers (or farms / suppliers / etc along
>the chain) that use Ethanol instead of fossil fuels, to produce their
>products?

Perhaps none use only ethanol at this time. but they
may use the stalks, shucks, or other by products to supply
heat to the stills.

But there is a better way, any waste heat at about 100C
can be used for the heat for the still, and many Trillions of
BTU of waste heat has just been wasted when it could have
been use to run a still, or to distill bad water or salt water
for drinking water, see the date on;

http://stinet.dtic.mil/oai/oai?&verb...er =AD0406634

I have proposed that power plant waste heat be used,
but hopefully has already considered it and is using it.

Joe Fischer

Old September 8th 06, 09:44 PM posted to alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.automobile,rec.autos.tech,sci.environment,alt.global-warming
*

Mad Scientist Jr > wrote in article
.com>...
> Who are some Ethanol or E85 producers (or farms / suppliers / etc along
> the chain) that use Ethanol instead of fossil fuels, to produce their
> products?

I think the question should be about ethanol producers who use *ETHICS* to
*market* their product......

......discussing the *real* costs of ethanol production, and including them
in the cost of ethanol......

......discussing the Federal subsidies, and including them in the
expenditures to produce ethanol.......

etc.
Old September 9th 06, 02:42 AM posted to alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.automobile,rec.autos.tech,sci.environment,alt.global-warming
« Paul »[_1_]

Mad Scientist Jr wrote:

> Who are some Ethanol or E85 producers (or farms / suppliers / etc along
> the chain) that use Ethanol instead of fossil fuels, to produce their
> products?

None of them. Its inefficient.
They don't use gasline either.
They use diesel and biodiesel.
Slow turning engines with a lot of torque.
More btu/lb in diesel.
Old September 9th 06, 06:44 PM posted to alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.automobile,rec.autos.tech,sci.environment,alt.global-warming
Harry[_2_]

Many "Eastern block cities had district heating systems (ie for homes)
run from rejected heat from the llocal power station. Very succesful.
However in Summer no-one needs it, so the same means of dumping heat
are needed as if the distrct heating weren't there. Grossly uneconomic
and definately financially unviable.
These systems now pose a massive problem as they run for miles and mile
and are insulated with asbestos :-( It's going to cost a fortune to
de-commission them and repairs are a nightmare and extremely hazardous
for the workers

Lots of rejected and "waste" heat is low grade/temperature. Thinking
of uses for it is very difficult.

Old September 9th 06, 11:09 PM posted to alt.energy.renewable,alt.energy.automobile,rec.autos.tech,sci.environment,alt.global-warming

"Mad Scientist Jr" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Who are some Ethanol or E85 producers (or farms / suppliers / etc along
> the chain) that use Ethanol instead of fossil fuels, to produce their
> products?

If you took the time to have a nice caipirinha out on Copacabana beach,
and to enjoy the tanginhas, you would wonder why anyone would want to
use alcohol for fuel, and why they would worry so much about what they
were going to 'drive'.

You would understand why God did not put brains in the little head.

Ethanol: Myths and realities laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE Driving 11 May 24th 06 06:50 AM
Ethanol in gas? Dr Nick Honda 38 May 2nd 06 03:51 PM
More on U.S. ethanol [email protected] Ford Mustang 0 February 13th 06 10:22 PM
"In other words, we don't have a clue..." [email protected] Ford Mustang 1 January 28th 06 02:48 AM
Question about E85 gas in California? ephines Jeep 5 September 28th 05 09:04 PM