flat towing instructions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 30th 05, 05:19 PM

I assure you the weight of the CJ is 4400 lbs. I took it to a scale
and had it weighed. (Actually it was 4650 but I plan on taking off the
hard doors for towing which should eliminate 250 lbs.) Among other
things it has 36" boggers, a 360 engine, a full roll cage, Dana 60s
front and rear, two layers of custom skid plates in addition to the
stock skid plate, custom bumpers, winch, and a variety of other heavy
stuff.

The tow vehicle is a 2wd 2002 Dodge Durango. Not sure if this
qualifies as the "Ford Expedit=ADion or GM equivalent" suggested by Dean
or not.

The jeep rear axle is indeed a full floating with unlockable hubs. If
I understand what you all are saying, if I unlock all 4 hubs there
will be no lubrication issues. Do I still need to stop every 200 miles
and let the engine idle to splash lubrication up on the bearings? I'm
a bit confused, because in one instance Jeff said I would need to
leave the front hubs locked in to lubricate... but once it was clearly
understood that I have full floating in the rear, the advice changed
to leave all 4 hubs unlocked. I don't understand why the rear
configuration would change the requirement to lock in the front hubs or
not? (Please bear with me if I sound ignorant... I have had some
lesser/stock jeeps and been offroad before but this is my first heavily
modified rig. I bought it as is built by someone else and am still
learning all the ins and outs... I only know enough to be dangerous
but am trying to learn)

A thought: Would a potential good solution be a tow dolly? This could
get the CJ's front wheels up off the road and eliminate the steering
problem, yet would only add a couple hundred pounds of weight instead
of a thousand or more.

Jeff Strickland wrote:
> YOU TOLD US IN ANOTHER POST THAT YOUR CJ HAS FULL FLOATING REAR HUBS.

This
> is a critical bit of information AND IT CHANGES THE ENTIRE

DISCUSSION.

> Full Floaters allow flat towing, indeed they are a primary reason

people
> even install them. Well, maybe not primary reason, but CERTAINLY this

is an
> added benefit.
>
> All you need do is unlock all four hubs, and you are ready to go. The

tires
> will be disconnected at the hub from the entire rest of the drive

train,
> COMPLETELY REMOVING the requirement to set the levers on the

transmission
> and transfer case to any specific position. With the hubs unlocked on

the
> rear axle, the drivetrain will remain at rest while you are towing

your CJ.

> Not only do Full Floaters let you flat tow, but if you manage to

break an
> axle shaft, you can disconnect the affected tire and still drive your

Jeep.
> This is the primary reason why people install them.
>
> You bought a Bonus, you can flat tow without any worries.
>

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >I just got a tow vehicle which is only rated to tow 4800 lbs.... so

it
> > can tow my CJ, but not the CJ + trailer.
> >
> > Is there anything special I need to know before flat towing? I'm
> > guessing I should put the transfer case and transmission in

neutral,
> > and lock in the hubs. Anything else I should do?

TOWING A SATURN- from theCONFUSING owners handbook ! misterfact Saturn 25 November 5th 04 09:16 AM
96 Caravan - towing package? EdO Dodge 1 October 25th 04 04:43 AM
VW Golf towing delema Ingo Braune VW water cooled 3 September 22nd 04 04:08 AM
Grand Cherokee Owners - Fight back!! Grumpy 4x4 62 July 10th 04 04:52 AM
New Mercedes ML Trip Computer & Instructions Steve Cousins Audi 0 June 26th 04 04:20 AM