car catches on fire

Old January 28th 05, 08:11 AM
Brent P

In article ich.edu>, Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> Yeah, same as it ever was. They never ****in' learn. And by "they", I
> refer mostly to the people who buy such sorry excuses for vehicles. Barnum
> was right. Also to the people whose job is to regulate auto safety. This
> is what we get for letting the industry write the regulations and
> procedures.

It's just that you never seem to want to pass up a chance to bash ford.
I never understood the purpose of make bashing posts. Seemed something we
should have all grown out of before leaving high school.

just in google atm saab is recalling 400,000 cars because of some engine
lubrication problem, articles on trouble with mitsu's recall problems.
various BMW recalls. Lexus recalling cars they sold in china for fuel
pump issues. Renault recalls.. and that's just going back about 10 days.

Old January 28th 05, 06:00 PM
Harry K

Brent P wrote:
> In article

ich.edu>, Daniel J.
Stern wrote:

> > Yeah, same as it ever was. They never ****in' learn. And by

"they", I
> > refer mostly to the people who buy such sorry excuses for vehicles.

Barnum
> > was right. Also to the people whose job is to regulate auto safety.

This
> > is what we get for letting the industry write the regulations and
> > procedures.

> It's just that you never seem to want to pass up a chance to bash

ford.
> I never understood the purpose of make bashing posts. Seemed

something we
> should have all grown out of before leaving high school.
>
> just in google atm saab is recalling 400,000 cars because of some

engine
> lubrication problem, articles on trouble with mitsu's recall

problems.
> various BMW recalls. Lexus recalling cars they sold in china for fuel

> pump issues. Renault recalls.. and that's just going back about 10

days.

MOst of us grew out of that juvenile bs of 'my brand is the only good
one, all others suck' by the time we reached our 20s. The is no make
that turns out all -good- cars, just as there is no make that has not
turned out -dogs-.

Harry K

Old January 28th 05, 11:41 PM
Nate Nagel

Harry K wrote:

> Brent P wrote:
>
>>In article

> ich.edu>, Daniel J.
> Stern wrote:
>
>>>Yeah, same as it ever was. They never ****in' learn. And by

> "they", I
>
>>>refer mostly to the people who buy such sorry excuses for vehicles.

> Barnum
>
>>>was right. Also to the people whose job is to regulate auto safety.

> This
>
>>>is what we get for letting the industry write the regulations and
>>>procedures.

>>It's just that you never seem to want to pass up a chance to bash

> ford.
>
>>I never understood the purpose of make bashing posts. Seemed

> something we
>
>>should have all grown out of before leaving high school.
>>
>>just in google atm saab is recalling 400,000 cars because of some

> engine
>
>>lubrication problem, articles on trouble with mitsu's recall

> problems.
>
>>various BMW recalls. Lexus recalling cars they sold in china for fuel

>>pump issues. Renault recalls.. and that's just going back about 10

> days.
>
> MOst of us grew out of that juvenile bs of 'my brand is the only good
> one, all others suck' by the time we reached our 20s. The is no make
> that turns out all -good- cars, just as there is no make that has not
> turned out -dogs-.
>
> Harry K

Sadly, anymore, most mfgrs. are uniformly turning out what I consider to
be crap. Pretty, over-gadgetized crap, but crap nonetheless. I'd
rather they sweated over the drivetrain, brakes, etc. and forgot about
the power heated buttwipers, but that's apparently what consumers want,
or at least what focus groups tell mfgrs. that consumers want.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old January 28th 05, 11:57 PM
Max

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, Tim923 wrote:
>

>>http://my.fit.edu/~tschmits/carfire.jpg
>>
>>My brother sent me this picture of a car on fire at his work. The
>>driver noticed something wrong with the car and pulled into the parking
>>lot. No one hurt. How the heck does something like that happen?

> Most commonly, it happens due to Ford's negligence and ****ty engineering.

DING!

--
----------------------
http://www.saab-900.tk
Old January 29th 05, 02:51 AM
Harry K

Quite true but the quality of the crap is pretty standard through all
the makes with no one of them standing out as turning out -poorer- crap
(if it is possible for crap to come in different grades).

Harry K

Old January 29th 05, 05:11 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005, Harry K wrote:

> Quite true but the quality of the crap is pretty standard through all
> the makes with no one of them standing out as turning out -poorer- crap

Wrong. Fords specifically have been catching on fire at inordinate rates
for decades now.
Old January 29th 05, 06:36 AM
Brent P

In article ch.edu>, Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005, Harry K wrote:
>
>> Quite true but the quality of the crap is pretty standard through all
>> the makes with no one of them standing out as turning out -poorer- crap

> Wrong. Fords specifically have been catching on fire at inordinate rates
> for decades now.

And you have the numbers to prove it? Not recall numbers, but actual
fires. And comparable data too. Not media perception pieces like the one on
CBS that a '67 mustang shouldn't have a fire when rear ended at 70mph
because the kid driving it _stopped_ on the interstate. Real data that can
be used in an engineering study.

The reason I ask, is because time after time, when people actually look
into these claims from the 60s to present that ford models catch fire more
than other cars it turns out the rate is comparable or even less than that of
other makes vehicles in the same classes.