Cam Shaft & piston damage 96 SL1

Old June 20th 07, 05:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
BläBlä[_2_]

Default Cam Shaft & piston damage 96 SL1

In article >, says...
> Well, 2nd mechanic popped the top of the engine and confirmed. He thinks it may
> have been runnning awhile with no oil pressue (though I get regular oil changes
> and never got a warning light). Pretty much told me that since the car is
> running, it should last awhile and that the noise sounds worse than it is.
>
> Time to go car shopping. Will I get another Saturn...hard to say right now...
>
> the Honda fit is looking good...

You're relying on the oil pressure light and not your eyes and the dip
stick? Yeah thats a sure way to ruin a motor. You can ruin any motor
running below a normal operating oil fill. Also I've never seen a Saturn
more bone dry than a Honda. A Honda came in with a OBD II code set by
the variable valve timing. The variable valve timing WAS NOT WORKING
because there was NOT ENOUGH oil to work it. It had 0.3 quarts of oil in
the engine. ZERO POINT THREE QUARTS! And no oil light... Good luck with
that Honda.

Did you bother to check the dip stick multiple times between oil
changes. Me thinks not...
Old June 20th 07, 07:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
NF

I was always getting my oil changed at 3k, I guess I should have done more...

Old June 21st 07, 05:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Private

Default cost of failure to check oil level

"NF" > wrote in message
>I was always getting my oil changed at 3k, I guess I should have done
>more...

I find it interesting and somewhat revealing that people come here to find
solutions to their own problems but seldom to learn from the mistakes and
experiences of others. We have seen multiple examples of expensive repairs
and engines ruined solely caused by the owners unwillingness to practice
even the most basic preventative maintenance practices. I have no sympathy
for people who are too lazy and/or ignorant to simply raise the hood and
check the oil level EVERY time (minimum) they stop for fuel. The low oil
pressure indicator is not called an idiot light for no reason, as only
idiots rely on them to indicate anything other than imminent complete
failure.

Check your oil level often, you will be paying yourself more money than you
have ever earned in your life. I ran some (admittedly simple) numbers and
calculate that the amount of money you are paying yourself is > approx
$150/hr for a high mileage car and significantly higher (orders of
magnitude) for a lower mileage car.

YMMV

Brake piston gator ? Richard[_2_] Audi 1 November 12th 06 11:11 PM
Piston question..... Brian \Grimace\ H. VW air cooled 5 September 15th 06 08:35 AM
why only piston cylinder engines....... jas Technology 18 May 13th 06 03:34 PM
Piston Tops TerryB VW air cooled 4 July 8th 05 03:53 AM
Knurling a piston ??????? John M. Wright 4x4 3 November 27th 04 02:28 PM