GAS MILEAGE

Old December 24th 05, 11:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Default GAS MILEAGE

Can somebody tell me why i get only 23 mpg city on my '97 auto. sl2?
I've had a '95 and 6 auto. and both got 28+29 mpg. TIA

Old December 25th 05, 01:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

tune-up??? dirty air filter?? cold weather??? underiflated tires??too
wide a tire???put on weight from Christmas overeating?? bad struts???
dirty injectors???wrong oil???

Old December 25th 05, 03:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Gee all that can affect gas mileage? I took another reading today, 25
mpg....2 more than precious and I've done nothing to the car.

Old December 25th 05, 05:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

If the car is properly tuned, filters replaced, and the tires are inflated -
this is usually the thing that affects mileage the most (my tires state a
maximum of 44 PSI, I inflate them to 35 despite manufacturer door stating 26
PSI is recommendation).

Bob

Old December 25th 05, 06:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

In additiona to the other comments you've received, winterized fuel should
reduce mpg's, so does extended idling (gridlock traffic or letting the car
warm up in the driveway before venturing out), and or a tired engine (high
mileage, oil usage, etc).

Old December 26th 05, 02:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Jonnie Santos wrote:
> In additiona to the other comments you've received, winterized fuel should
> reduce mpg's, so does extended idling (gridlock traffic or letting the car
> warm up in the driveway before venturing out), and or a tired engine (high
> mileage, oil usage, etc).
>
> "Elaine again ^,,^" > wrote in message
> > Gee all that can affect gas mileage? I took another reading today, 25
> > mpg....2 more than precious and I've done nothing to the car.

What IS winterized fuel??

Old December 26th 05, 07:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Thanks for all your help. It's not a high mileage car,it's only got
78,000 but I do mostly stop and go traffic. I live in Miami now but I do
remember having to "winterize" the gas by putting in some kind of gas
antifreeze. My next oil change will replace all filters and I'll inflate
my tires to 35. Don't have to warmup the car anymore. I love my
Saturn

Old December 26th 05, 09:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

> What IS winterized fuel??

The volatility is altered through chemical composition to make it burn more
easily in the cold, winter air. That change or reformulation has less
energy content and you have to burn more of it. So usually winterized fuel
will result in lower mpg's... Do a Google search on 'gasoline
formulations' and you'll find probably more than you ever wanted to know...

Old December 26th 05, 10:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

"Elaine again ^,,^" > wrote in message
> Can somebody tell me why i get only 23 mpg city on my '97 auto. sl2?
> I've had a '95 and 6 auto. and both got 28+29 mpg. TIA

If you are comparing single tank averages, your numbers are almost
meaningless. Even if you are very careful (same pump, same car position,
etc.), it is very easy to vary the amount of gas you put in your tank by +/-
one gallon. A one gallon error on a 14 gallon tank can make a huge
difference, especially if you are figuring the economy on a partial tank
run. You need to record your fuel purchases for several weeks and calculate
the average over three or four tank fulls of gas.

With modern OBD-II engine controls, you don't need to worry too much about
traditional tunes-up items. OBD-II systems are very good at detecting miss
firing cylinders and usually keep the fuel air ratio controlled close to the
ideal.

Factors that are likely to affect you fuel economy:

Gas formulation - winter/summer formulations differ and formulations differ
by location. Some areas (Minnesota and others) blend ethanol with the gas
and this can decrease fuel economy by 3% to 5%.

Under inflated tires - be sure to make your tires are inflated per the
manufacturer's recommendations (assuming you are still using the OE size and
type)

Tire type - P series tires provide better fuel economy than similar non-P
series tires. If you have changed tire sizes, the odometer may be incorrect
and this will affect your fuel economy calculations.

Dragging brakes - improperly adjusted drum brakes and/or disc breaks with
dragging calipers can adversely affect your fuel economy.

Additional weight - Are you carrying around items you don't need? More
weight = decreased fuel economy.

Driving style - have you changed where you drive, or how you drive? Maybe
the '97 encourages more spirited driving. I keep a book on my Vue. It is
shared by three drivers. I average around 21 mpg. My SO average close to 25
mpg. My 16 year old son averages less than 18. Same car, same tires, same
gas, different drivers - greater than 20% variation in fuel economy.

Increased accessory load - does the '97 have more features that might
increase the load on the engine? Anything that consumes more electricity
will decrease fuel economy since the engine driven alternator has to supply
the energy.

Engine oil - are you using the correct viscosity Energy Conserving oil?

Ed

Old January 2nd 06, 01:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Um, if I remember correctly, does not Jonnie Santos live in San Diego? Do
they sell winterized fuel there when the temperature falls below 70? :-)

(Temp here is Boston is in the 20's)

-David