ECM interchangability

Old December 3rd 06, 04:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Son_Worshipper

Default ECM interchangability

Of the last 4 cars I have had, only my '93 SL2 has NOT had this
problem. 2 of them are Volvos! They seem to be able to bulid a car
that can run a million miles but odometers that break at 150K. In each
case, new gears did the trick.

Terry

Old December 3rd 06, 09:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
wavy

Well how about that? I would have thought if ANYone had sufficiently
done "longevity testing" it would have been the Swedes from Volvo.
ON THE OTHER HAND - My brother used to have an old 240 or whatever they
called those four-door boxes... After replacing part after part at WAY
much higher cost than Japanese or American car parts - he exclaimed to
me that there's nothing special about Volvos that make them million
mile cars - its just that its built so that every single tiny little
part is individually replaceable. IE. Greater number of serviceable
parts = more parts revenue.
-WaV

Old December 4th 06, 07:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
wavy

Well, its just that Volvo used to have a "reputation" for cars that
lasted forever.
Maybe it was all just a advertising ploy that "worked". I do remember
some ads where they'd tell about some old geezer who's put like
1,200,000 miles on his old Sedan.
Longevity isnt sexy anymore though. If your car isnt "nearly new" you
just aren't cool. No matter how well engineered it is.
Oh well!
-WaV

My old aquaintances in the group 'Trout Fishing in America' toured in a
old red Ford F-150 (named Robert, of course) for at least ten years and
racked up close to 1,000,000 miles in it. Yeah - I dont remember
anyone going on about how long Ford trucks last - not in a while!

Old December 4th 06, 06:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
BläBlä[_2_]

In article .com>,
says...
> Well, its just that Volvo used to have a "reputation" for cars that
> lasted forever.
> Maybe it was all just a advertising ploy that "worked". I do remember
> some ads where they'd tell about some old geezer who's put like
> 1,200,000 miles on his old Sedan.
> Longevity isnt sexy anymore though. If your car isnt "nearly new" you
> just aren't cool. No matter how well engineered it is.
> Oh well!
> -WaV
>
> My old aquaintances in the group 'Trout Fishing in America' toured in a
> old red Ford F-150 (named Robert, of course) for at least ten years and
> racked up close to 1,000,000 miles in it. Yeah - I dont remember
> anyone going on about how long Ford trucks last - not in a while!

What you or they call a reputation I call a myth. I've seen plenty of
vehicles at near or above 1,000,000 miles of every kind and others of
the same type ready for the junk yard before 100,000 miles. It makes
little to no difference who makes it! It matters how often you drive,
how you drive it, and how well you care for it!

The people who spend big bucks buying these overpriced European cars
usually do what with them??? They stick them in a garage every night and
every time they have a "small" issue they go straight to the shop and
don't mind one damn bit dishing out big bucks to get it corrected. How
many people do you know with a Chevy that will go straight to a shop
when the check engine light comes on? How many people with a Chevy have
every joint greased regularly? How many people with a Chevy get a tune
up when it's needed and not when it "no longer starts"? How many people
with a Chevy? DO YOU GET MY POINT! My cousin has a nice low mileage
Volvo that has been sitting for years. Why is it sitting? Because he
doesn't want to spend more than a grand getting the rear main seal
replaced... EOD