Oil % doesn't change

Old December 7th 07, 02:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Default Oil % doesn't change

I have a new 2008 Honda Accord - put 4953 miles on it, (I only do
hiway miles and change every 5K miles - good or bad - always done
that with success........

My issue is, my "info" on the odometer info says the oil % is 50 % -
did not change when it was changed (along with the filter). do I need
to do something or should they have done something to "reset" back to
100% ?

Thanks
Dale
Old December 7th 07, 12:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
ACAR

On Dec 6, 11:30 pm, jim beam > wrote:

> and changing the oil prematurely was a bad idea. for maximum life of
> this vehicle, read and follow the instructions in the owners manual.

Why is that? What's so special about Honda's factory fill?
Old December 7th 07, 01:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

On Dec 6, 9:01 pm, wrote:
> I have a new 2008 Honda Accord - put 4953 miles on it, (I only do
> hiway miles and change every 5K miles - good or bad - always done
> that with success........
>
> My issue is, my "info" on the odometer info says the oil % is 50 % -
> did not change when it was changed (along with the filter). do I need
> to do something or should they have done something to "reset" back to
> 100% ?
>
> Thanks
> Dale

Thanks for the info - but I can''t understand why an oil change would
negatively affect the life of the engine. How does one "reset" the oil
life status?
Old December 7th 07, 02:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dano58

On Dec 6, 9:01 pm, wrote:
> I have a new 2008 Honda Accord - put 4953 miles on it, (I only do
> hiway miles and change every 5K miles - good or bad - always done
> that with success........
>
> My issue is, my "info" on the odometer info says the oil % is 50 % -
> did not change when it was changed (along with the filter). do I need
> to do something or should they have done something to "reset" back to
> 100% ?
>
> Thanks
> Dale

Did you have this done at the dealer? If so, they should have reset
the oil life monitor. Not sure it's something that you can do by
pushing various buttons....

Dan D
'07 Ody EX
Central NJ USA
Old December 7th 07, 03:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Mike Schnierle

Check your owner's manual. The procedure is in there. The first time we
took our 2007 Accord in for service, the dealer forgot to reset the thing.
It is easy, but my wife has the car so I can't look it up.

Old December 7th 07, 07:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

wrote in news:8c6dcfca-9313-41bf-bf4a-25e74cb4ca02
@i12g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

> On Dec 6, 9:01 pm, wrote:
>> I have a new 2008 Honda Accord - put 4953 miles on it, (I only do
>> hiway miles and change every 5K miles - good or bad - always done
>> that with success........
>>
>> My issue is, my "info" on the odometer info says the oil % is 50 % -
>> did not change when it was changed (along with the filter). do I need
>> to do something or should they have done something to "reset" back to
>> 100% ?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Dale

> Thanks for the info - but I can''t understand why an oil change would
> negatively affect the life of the engine. How does one "reset" the oil
> life status?

Factory fill used to be different from off-the-shelf oils. The idea was to
promote faster break-in. The apparent danger was that if you changed the
oil too soon, the new oil would be of a different formulation that would
negatively affect proper break-in.

I have no idea if this is currently true, was true at one time but now is
not, or was an old wives' tale all along. Therefore I play it safe by
advising not to perform the first oil change until the minder says to.

Plus, the oil-life reset procedure is in your Owner's Manual. It's easier
and faster to look it up in the Index at the back of the book rather than
in the Table of Contents at the front of the book.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old December 8th 07, 12:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Null

> wrote in message
> On Dec 6, 9:01 pm, wrote:
>> I have a new 2008 Honda Accord - put 4953 miles on it, (I only do
>> hiway miles and change every 5K miles - good or bad - always done
>> that with success........
>>
>> My issue is, my "info" on the odometer info says the oil % is 50 % -
>> did not change when it was changed (along with the filter). do I need
>> to do something or should they have done something to "reset" back to
>> 100% ?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Dale

> Thanks for the info - but I can''t understand why an oil change would
> negatively affect the life of the engine. How does one "reset" the oil
> life status?

If no one tips you here-- I'm sure a phone call to your dealer's service
department will get you the answer.

Old December 9th 07, 01:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

On Dec 7, 7:44 pm, "Null" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> > On Dec 6, 9:01 pm, wrote:
> >> I have a new 2008 Honda Accord - put 4953 miles on it, (I only do
> >> hiway miles and change every 5K miles - good or bad - always done
> >> that with success........

> >> My issue is, my "info" on the odometer info says the oil % is 50 % -
> >> did not change when it was changed (along with the filter). do I need
> >> to do something or should they have done something to "reset" back to
> >> 100% ?

> >> Thanks
> >> Dale

> > Thanks for the info - but I can''t understand why an oil change would
> > negatively affect the life of the engine. How does one "reset" the oil
> > life status?

> If no one tips you here-- I'm sure a phone call to your dealer's service
> department will get you the answer.- Hide quoted text -

Thank all of you for all your help and ideas - as far as the oil
change goes - guess I will find out when the engine dies and Honda
refuses to pay under the warranty.....or the car hits a deer here in
central Virginia, which is what happens to a large percentage of
vehicles on the road.

Again - Thanks and I hope all have a wonderful Christmas and a Happy
New Year!
Dale
Old December 10th 07, 12:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
ACAR

On Dec 7, 2:13 pm, Tegger > wrote:

> > Thanks for the info - but I can''t understand why an oil change would
> > negatively affect the life of the engine. How does one "reset" the oil
> > life status?

> Factory fill used to be different from off-the-shelf oils. The idea was to
> promote faster break-in. The apparent danger was that if you changed the
> oil too soon, the new oil would be of a different formulation that would
> negatively affect proper break-in.
>
> I have no idea if this is currently true, was true at one time but now is
> not, or was an old wives' tale all along. Therefore I play it safe by
> advising not to perform the first oil change until the minder says to.
>
> Plus, the oil-life reset procedure is in your Owner's Manual. It's easier
> and faster to look it up in the Index at the back of the book rather than
> in the Table of Contents at the front of the book.
>
> --
> Tegger
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQwww.tegger.com/hondafaq/

My techs (both at Honda and Toyota dealerships) told me that the
primary reason was to ward off those wanting to switch to full
synthetic before the engine was properly broken-in.

My Honda dealer advised against going with the factory recommended
10,000 miles between oil changes with our 2004 I4 Accord. Most dealers
perform new car oil changes well before the on-board system indicates
it is needed. These oil changes may be unnecessary but they are very
common and don't appear to adversely effect engine life.

On first oil change zenmartini[_2_] Mazda 8 June 8th 07 03:01 AM
How often do I have to change oil? [email protected] BMW 14 August 1st 06 03:44 PM
Transmission fluid: To Change or Not to Change Yank_fan_2965 Technology 10 April 16th 06 07:17 AM
Oil Change Bill Berckman VW air cooled 6 October 25th 04 01:58 PM
To Change or Not ka9szx General 0 August 25th 04 06:21 AM