E39 UK wired phone / Motorola v50

Old September 11th 06, 05:45 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeremy[_1_]

Default E39 UK wired phone / Motorola v50

My E39 is wired for a phone and has the satnav/tv etc, multi-function
steering wheel and the armrest with the cradle for the phone.

I have been informed it is designed for a Motorola v50.

I have also been informed that BMW can suppply for £320 ish +VAT and
that this the one that has the BMW software loaded to enable full
integration.

My question is, if anyone knows, can a standard v50 be used and if so,
what functions does one lose?

--

jeremy
['01 BMW 530iA SE Touring]
Old September 16th 06, 10:02 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Philip K

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 17:45:36 +0100, Jeremy > wrote:

>My question is, if anyone knows, can a standard v50 be used and if so,
>what functions does one lose?

I have used a normal (i.e., non-BMW) Motorola V50 in my E39 M5 and it
seems to do everything. I actually have three non-BMW V50's and they all
work. The only difference that I am aware of is that the BMW phone shows
a BMW logo at power on, though there may be other differences.

Be aware that many of the V50's advertised on eBay as "BMW enabled" do
not have the BMW software on them and are just standard V50s.

£320 is a _lot_ of money to spend on such an old phone. I spent less
than that on a bluetooth module which means that I can use any Bluetooth
enabled phone in my car.
--
Philip

[Don't top post. Quote selectively. Don't use HTML. Enjoy Usenet]
Old September 16th 06, 10:51 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Tom Scales

"Philip K" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 17:45:36 +0100, Jeremy > wrote:
>
>>My question is, if anyone knows, can a standard v50 be used and if so,
>>what functions does one lose?

> I have used a normal (i.e., non-BMW) Motorola V50 in my E39 M5 and it
> seems to do everything. I actually have three non-BMW V50's and they all
> work. The only difference that I am aware of is that the BMW phone shows
> a BMW logo at power on, though there may be other differences.
>
> Be aware that many of the V50's advertised on eBay as "BMW enabled" do
> not have the BMW software on them and are just standard V50s.
>
> £320 is a _lot_ of money to spend on such an old phone. I spent less
> than that on a bluetooth module which means that I can use any Bluetooth
> enabled phone in my car.
> --
> Philip
>
> [Don't top post. Quote selectively. Don't use HTML. Enjoy Usenet]

What Bluetooth module? Does it link into the buttons on the E39, or is it
just generic.

Tom

Old September 18th 06, 09:36 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeremy[_1_]

In article >, Philip K
says...
> On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 17:45:36 +0100, Jeremy > wrote:
>
> >My question is, if anyone knows, can a standard v50 be used and if so,
> >what functions does one lose?

> I have used a normal (i.e., non-BMW) Motorola V50 in my E39 M5 and it
> seems to do everything. I actually have three non-BMW V50's and they all
> work. The only difference that I am aware of is that the BMW phone shows
> a BMW logo at power on, though there may be other differences.

The 2 of which I am aware is that you don't get the ID of the caller
when incoming calls are received and, if the ignition is switched off
and the phoine remains in the car, the phone will not continue to draw a
current from the battery for charging purposes.

> Be aware that many of the V50's advertised on eBay as "BMW enabled" do
> not have the BMW software on them and are just standard V50s.

Yep - I just bought one via ebay having done a bit of research - works
very well indeed - £30 + p&p

> £320 is a _lot_ of money to spend on such an old phone. I spent less
> than that on a bluetooth module which means that I can use any Bluetooth
> enabled phone in my car.

Can you tell me more about this? Can I get a bluetooth module for my
E39? Any suggested suppliers?

--

jeremy
['01 BMW 530iA SE Touring]
Old September 23rd 06, 03:10 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Philip K

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 21:51:53 GMT, "Tom Scales" >
wrote:

>What Bluetooth module? Does it link into the buttons on the E39, or is it
>just generic.

Sorry for the delay in replying.

I bought mine secondhand, but if you have a look at
http://www.e38bluetooth.com/ it should give you some pointers. Don't
mind the "e38" in the domain name, they do E39 stuff as well.

Old September 23rd 06, 03:10 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Philip K

Old September 23rd 06, 03:38 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeremy[_1_]

In article >, Philip K
says...
> On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 09:36:27 +0100, Jeremy > wrote:
>
> >> £320 is a _lot_ of money to spend on such an old phone. I spent less
> >> than that on a bluetooth module which means that I can use any Bluetooth
> >> enabled phone in my car.

> >Can you tell me more about this? Can I get a bluetooth module for my
> >E39? Any suggested suppliers?

> Sorry for the delay in replying.
>
> I bought mine secondhand, but if you have a look at
> http://www.e38bluetooth.com/ it should give you some pointers. Don't
> mind the "e38" in the domain name, they do E39 stuff as well.

Thanks anyway. I just picked up a Motorla v50 via eBay for £30 and it
works well in the car.

--

jeremy
['01 BMW 530iA SE Touring]